I am doing a turkey breast and some chicken wings tomorrow. I can't find any fruit wood chunks ANYWHERE where I live. So my options are to use apple chips, or hickory or mesquite chunks. I really wanted to use chunks instead of chips this time. I've never used chunks before. But would the hickory or mesquite overpower the poultry? If I do use chips, should I soak them first? Thanks, I'm so pissed I can't find anything anywhere in Charleston.
Related Forum Threads
- Chips or Chunks? Last post on 6/12/08 at 9:46pm in Woods for Smoking
- Wood for turkey Last post on 10/16/12 at 5:41pm in Poultry
- Chips, Do I Fill The Box? Last post on 11/19/09 at 12:09pm in General Discussion
- Lemon Wood Last post on 10/10/09 at 1:55am in Poultry
- Wood chunks Last post on 12/22/07 at 7:00am in Roll Call
Smoked/Dutch Oven Southwestern Chicken & Rice
Last edited: 12/26/11
- Jamacian Jerked WingsLast edited: 4/27/11
- Cutting Up A Whole ChickenLast edited: 4/28/11
- Brining PoultryLast edited: 10/30/12
- How To Smoke Chicken Competition StyleLast edited: 5/25/10
Ive ground and mixed 60 + pounds of meat so far in 20-25 lbs batches. 1st, it does a much better job than I did manually with out over working the meat. I need to work on my setup a bit to make the...
So I purchased a GMG Jim Bowie prior to owning my Blaz'n Grill GridIron. I had problems from the start and eventually sold it after owning it for a little over 3 months. I paid more than double for...
I have smoked ribs, beer can chicken, pork butts, chicken breasts, all have turned out great. I just turn it on set the temp and forget it.
I agree with everything yamafx4dude said. The box itself is great. Well insulted and large enough for a large family I need to smoke for. However the electronics in this unit suck… DO NOT depend...
This is a nice set it and forget it type of thing. One thing I do want to mention on it...lump coal is not easy to work with on this. Stay with Kingsford. Well made and works like a charm. I am not...
Apple chips, mesquite chunks, or hickory chunks?post #1 of 410/15/10 at 11:35amThread Starter
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 410/15/10 at 11:44am
Have you tried your hardware stores like Lowes and Homeless? Any BBQ stores in the area?
If not then you can make a tray like Dick suggested or you can make up foil packets with some holes in them and roate the out so you have less mess in the long run. Just foil up chips, poke holes in the top and put it as far away from the actual fire but still in the box and let it smoke til it stops and change it our for a new one.post #3 of 410/15/10 at 12:02pmThread Starterpost #4 of 410/15/10 at 12:08pm
The foil packs work fine. Use a double layer of heavy foil to make them w/ 6 small holes .
No need to soak the chips.
Hickory used lightly would be ok .
Mesquite can get real strong .
i use a handful of fruit wood chips w a palm full of misquite chips.
If you have a cabellas ,bass pro or acadamey sports around you they all sell chips and chunks.
- Apple chips, mesquite chunks, or hickory chunks?
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Jamacian Jerked Wings
- › Sous Vide Experiment 4 minutes ago
- › Is it bad to smoke meat in a shed?? 4 minutes ago
- › Think I ruined my Thai Jerky 4 minutes ago
- › Slicer recommendations 5 minutes ago
- › Bacon cheddar & chicken wing money shot 5 minutes ago
- › Cream Cheese Stuffed Everything Bagel and Muffaletta...A Tale of... 9 minutes ago
- › Buttermilk Brisket Brine 11 minutes ago
- › A little late on this but....can I freeze my sausages immediately... 13 minutes ago
- › Jalapeño&Cheese Summer Sausage Qview 19 minutes ago
- › Cajun Injector Gas Injector 28 minutes ago
- › 7-Gal. Mixer Attachment with Tilt by TripleQ
- › Blaz'n Grill Works "Gridiron" by FBI Van Outside
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by miked945
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by Vajinyan
- › Slow 'N Sear by ammaturesmoker
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by Dabnet795
- › Char Broil Offset Smoker American Gourmet Deluxe Grill by Face
- › Weber 7416 Rapidfire Chimney Starter by Cornman
- › Weber 781001 26.75-Inch One-Touch Gold Charcoal Grill by jesse624
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Mohole15
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations
- › Wild Hawg Rub
- › Follw-up to Smoke House Problems
- › Fine Points of Curing Brine
- › Seasonings & Marinades
- › Tying a Butcher's Knot