I am doing a turkey breast and some chicken wings tomorrow. I can't find any fruit wood chunks ANYWHERE where I live. So my options are to use apple chips, or hickory or mesquite chunks. I really wanted to use chunks instead of chips this time. I've never used chunks before. But would the hickory or mesquite overpower the poultry? If I do use chips, should I soak them first? Thanks, I'm so pissed I can't find anything anywhere in Charleston.
Related Forum Threads
- Chips or Chunks? Last post on 6/12/08 at 9:46pm in Woods for Smoking
- Wood for turkey Last post on 10/16/12 at 5:41pm in Poultry
- Chips, Do I Fill The Box? Last post on 11/19/09 at 12:09pm in General Discussion
- Lemon Wood Last post on 10/10/09 at 1:55am in Poultry
- Wood chunks Last post on 12/22/07 at 7:00am in Roll Call
Smoked/Dutch Oven Southwestern Chicken & Rice
Last edited: 12/26/11
- Jamacian Jerked WingsLast edited: 4/27/11
- Cutting Up A Whole ChickenLast edited: 4/28/11
- Brining PoultryLast edited: 10/30/12
- How To Smoke Chicken Competition StyleLast edited: 5/25/10
I really enjoyed this smoker - It is being retired for a Old Country Pecos
The family got this for me for a birthday gift ( I chose it, they paid for it). I did not get the WIFI version. Got it home, assembled it (easy) and fired it up. The temp would not stabilize, it...
Bought my T. JR 5 years ago at a Costco roadshow. It made for an affordable start in the smoking and pellet cooker space. Easy setup, but on burn-in the controller and fan burned out. ...
Loving the extra room on the LUX. (Bought as Cabela's Magnum) Smoked 3 turkeys (at once) for thanksgiving and for SuperBowl did a 14lb brisket and 8 chicken quarters at the same time. I...
This thermometer is very accurate and the distance to the monitor is really good. I have had no problems with the probes as others have stated. BUT......it is a big pain to program!!!! Actually I...
Apple chips, mesquite chunks, or hickory chunks?post #1 of 410/15/10 at 11:35amThread Starter
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 410/15/10 at 11:44am
Have you tried your hardware stores like Lowes and Homeless? Any BBQ stores in the area?
If not then you can make a tray like Dick suggested or you can make up foil packets with some holes in them and roate the out so you have less mess in the long run. Just foil up chips, poke holes in the top and put it as far away from the actual fire but still in the box and let it smoke til it stops and change it our for a new one.post #3 of 410/15/10 at 12:02pmThread Starterpost #4 of 410/15/10 at 12:08pm
The foil packs work fine. Use a double layer of heavy foil to make them w/ 6 small holes .
No need to soak the chips.
Hickory used lightly would be ok .
Mesquite can get real strong .
i use a handful of fruit wood chips w a palm full of misquite chips.
If you have a cabellas ,bass pro or acadamey sports around you they all sell chips and chunks.
- Apple chips, mesquite chunks, or hickory chunks?
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Jamacian Jerked Wings
- › First Soue Vide cooked corned beef 4 minutes ago
- › First time smoking pork back ribs. 18 minutes ago
- › Injected pork butt and still a little dry...? 24 minutes ago
- › Searching for the best sauce for pulled smoked chicken thighs 24 minutes ago
- › First Smoke - Boston Butt 28 minutes ago
- › What to smoke first? 30 minutes ago
- › First smoke of the year 31 minutes ago
- › March Throwdown 34 minutes ago
- › Apple & Pecan stuffed Pork Loin 37 minutes ago
- › Spring Brisket 39 minutes ago
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas by scubohuntr
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations