I will take the bellies out Thursday afternoon (72 hrs) to drain and re dust. I'll post a couple of pics. Just for clarification I use the amt of cure #1 recommended by, I think it was you or Beer-
b-Que, the post to the excel worksheet in another thread. I mixed the salt, Cure 1 and sugar per the calculator's recommendation. I used about 75% of that mixture in the first dusting. The remaining 25% will be used in the second dusting. I may use a bit more salt and sugar in the second dusting just to get as much water drawn out of the green bacon as possible.
The green bacon will remain in the fridge, wrapped to prevent to much oxidation, for another 4 days (Monday pm,168 hrs). I will do another drain and re dust using mainly sugar at this dusting. I want to smoke the bacon during the SE Louisiana Gathering so I will allow the green bacon to continue to cure for another 3 days (Thursday pm 240 hrs). Thursday afternoon I will remove from fridge, brush to remove excess cure, rinse well and taste test. If needed I will soak to adjust salt. After removing excess salt I will pat dry with paper towels and lightly re dust with sugar. For the event I have decided to experiment on my friends. I will leave one slab with just the brown sugar cure and dusting. A second slab will be rubbed with Steens cane syrup and a third slab will be rubbed and injected with Steens. The bacon will be returned to the fridge to dry. All bacon will be cold smoked with pecan Friday afternoon or evening depending on the weather. We are having beautiful weather in the area with highs in the low 80s and lows in the mid 60s so depending on the temps Friday I will either smoke that afternoon or that evening. I expect a 10 - 12 hr smoke.
Thanks for asking, if you are not comfortable with something I am doing let me know. I respect the advice of the members of this forum.
Edited by alblancher - 9/29/10 at 6:08am