Well after a few weeks I completed my first UDS. I am hopefully going to get some pictures posted. What an experience. First I burned it out twice, then sanded it down, then took some steel wool to it, then bought a black and decker steel brush for the drill and did the whole inside. Some more sanding, and then washed it a couple times with mild soap and warm water. I hope by doing all that, it is clean.
Last night I tested it out and put a whole bag of Royal Oak (wanted to see how it would do on a chilly winding evening). Started at 5:30pm and today around 12:30 the temp declined to under 100 degrees. I was really impressed. I played around with it some and it spiked to 300 degrees at one point but ran between 225-260 for most of the time.
One question. I wiped out the inside to get rid of some of the white ash and when I wiped it down, it look almost like mud on the inside. I did season it with cooking spray (alot of it) so I am assuming that between the heat and smoke and spray, this is what it produces. If I am wrong please let me know. I am cooking 20lbs of brisket tomorrow night for Saturday. Now I have to build a windshield to put around it.