Well, I finally got my new Char-Griller Wrangler with the firebox put together and seasoned (some pics below), and I'm looking forward to actually getting around to some smoking (this weekend or next, time is tight for me).
I know the thermometer that comes with these things is far from accurate, so I had a "replacement" thermometer sitting on the warming rack while I was seasoning the smoker. The thermo in the hood read around 250°, while the one on the rack read close to 400°! I just got a Maverick dual probe remote and I will be checking the temp again the next time I fire her up.
I see a lot of stuff around the forums for various "mods" to these things, and I have a couple of questions (I know they're probably handled in some other thread(s), but if I can get them answered here (or get pointed to the threads I'm looking for) I'll be very happy.
- Are there any "must have" mods that I can't live without?
- I see some stuff about making (or buying and adapting) charcoal baskets for the firebox. Is there a "best" way to do this? This firebox comes with grids for cooking, can I put the coals right on the grids?
- What the heck is a "tuning plate"?
- If I use the smoke chamber for grilling, will I have to re-season it? Really?
- Can't I just use the darn thing as it is, without any mods? What are the pitfalls?
Thanks so much in advance for any information. I am still so new to this smoking thing, that I feel a bit lost, and overwhelmed by so much information in the forums...