I have some drum sticks with skin on. How would you smoke them? My smoker only goes to 275. Whith wood? any seasoning? let me know what you would do never done drum sticks. Just started smoker going to put them in when temp gets up. Thanks.
Related Forum Threads
- SoCal rookie Vert smoker Last post on 10/26/13 at 8:54am in For New Members
- Chicken, my new favorite method Last post on 5/31/14 at 7:23pm in Poultry
- A little evening Spatch ....Do you approve? Last post on 9/29/13 at 9:00am in Poultry
- First whole chicken is smokin' Last post on 10/4/13 at 11:44am in Grilling Chicken
- First real try at smoked chicken Last post on 9/17/13 at 10:40am in Poultry
Smoked/Dutch Oven Southwestern Chicken & Rice
Last edited: 12/26/11
- Jamacian Jerked WingsLast edited: 4/27/11
- Cutting Up A Whole ChickenLast edited: 4/28/11
- Brining PoultryLast edited: 10/30/12
- How To Smoke Chicken Competition StyleLast edited: 5/25/10
The CharGriller King-Kamado Akorn is an insulated steel egg with a large side table on a cart. The manual states triple insulated. It is unspeakable efficient with it's coal consumption. This...
Just bought this and have done one smoke on it and looking forward to many more. Just from one smoke I can tell that the construction quality is great and well worth the money. I will never...
I have had some issues with this BBQ that I never thought I would have had based on the cost and the research done prior to purchasing. The first grill I purchased was sent back as the front plate...
If your looking for a great smoker, and your budget can handle the cost. This would be the one for you. Have you ever heard that you get what you pay for. Well, this is no exception.
Love Stubbs barbecue sauce and then came across the briquettes at my local Lowes, it's a great charcoal if you're not using Lump. Inexpensive and quality briquettes. Definitely worth a try.
Chicken drum sticks???post #1 of 158/9/10 at 11:16amThread Starter
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 158/9/10 at 11:25am
Josh, i have done drummies a few times... the kids love 'em. Normally i put my rub on a few hours ahead of time and then throw them on the smoker. Don't need to get up to 275, should be done in 1.5 - 2 hours at 225. I normally use either apple wood chips or chunks of cherry (cutting down a tree in my back yard one slice at a time :)). Last time i made them i bought 40 for about $10, hard to beat. With about 30 minutes left in the smoke I put some wing sauce on 1/3 of them, bbq sauce on 1/3, and left the other 1/3 Au Natual. Turned out great for being easy, cheap, and a little variety.post #3 of 158/9/10 at 11:27ampost #4 of 158/9/10 at 12:07pmThread Starter
I don't like to brine. Only done it 1 time and the bird was salty. My wife liked it but she likes salt. I don't. They are in the smokey now. Put honey BBQ on some for the kids and wife. Going to make hot legs for my 10 year old we have no wings. He loves hot wings.post #5 of 158/9/10 at 3:49pm
i never brine just rub with whatever & i like to add bbbacon to mine. smokeem in your fav flavor I like hickory or plum on mine.
Sorry I tried to post some pics on here but I can still not get it?post #6 of 158/9/10 at 6:48pm
Now you can try Tip's brine if you want it's low in salt. If not I would just smoke them at 275* and that should get your skin nice and crispty too. I smoke my birds at 275-300* and they come out really good and super juicey too.post #7 of 158/9/10 at 6:56pm
Yeah, you should give brining another shot -- it makes a huge difference IMHO. For legs with skin on only leave them in the brine for 1 - 1.5 hours.
I'm guessing that you've eaten them by now, but I'm hoping that you took some pics for us...post #8 of 158/9/10 at 7:01pm
I'm with mythmaster... I have started brining all my birds and their parts.. it is juicier.. in my smoker...
if too salty .. use less time in brine or less salt in solution or both.... good luck..post #9 of 158/10/10 at 9:25am
I too brine all poultry. Did cut a lil of the salt in tips brine last time (by 1/3).
Great moistness and flavor.
My mes will only get up around 260,So i smoke and then run poultry under the broiler to crisp up the skin. We love a smoked chicken salad.post #10 of 157/31/14 at 11:31am
I am new to the forum, but I've been using grill all my life and discovered smoker 15 years ago. I brine in the fridge overnight (just salt and water).
Sprinkle with rub. I normally use Famous Dave's rub. Smoke at 250 for 3 hours. I like hickory's strong aroma (apple would obviously work well).
I also use black currant for smoking- awesome flavor. I have few shrubs in may backyard and just cut few branches when necessary.post #11 of 157/31/14 at 11:46ampost #12 of 157/31/14 at 11:53amQuote:
Did you wash the brine off and dry with paper towels? If not that is why. A proper brine will not add salt to the meat.post #13 of 157/31/14 at 11:55ampost #14 of 157/31/14 at 11:56amQuote:
Not sure you will get a response to this bud....JoshS's last post in this forum was in 2011! LOLpost #15 of 157/31/14 at 7:20pm
- Chicken drum sticks???
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Jamacian Jerked Wings
- › Fitted Affordable Kitchens Birmingham 2 minutes ago
- › Baby Backs and Pork Burnt Ends Q-view 36 minutes ago
- › Pulled pork pizza rolls 1 hour, 18 minutes ago
- › Best way to give back is join right? 1 hour, 33 minutes ago
- › first timer pulled pork 1 hour, 42 minutes ago
- › My take on a supreme pizza fatty 1 hour, 53 minutes ago
- › Completed my mini build. 1 hour, 58 minutes ago
- › Northwest Arkansas Bikes Blues and BBQ 2 hours ago
- › How Many Mes Owners Here? 2 hours, 14 minutes ago
- › Just Getting Started 2 hours, 42 minutes ago
- › AKORN Kamado Kooker Grill with Cart by Addertooth
- › Weber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22.5-Inch Smoker by smoke slinger
- › Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill 596 Sq. In. Cooking... by DeanC
- › Cookshack Smokette Elite Stainless Electric Smoker by Roy3955
- › Stubb's Charcoal Briquettes by QinAintEasy562
- › Kingsford 71714 Matchlight Briquette by QinAintEasy562
- › Camp Chef SMV24S 24" Smoke Vault - SMV24S by footfault
- › Yoder YS 640 Pellet Smoker by MikeInMo
- › Master Forge Electric Cabinet Smoker by Bobur7
- › Char Broil Offset Smoker American Gourmet Grill by CanadianBBQ
- › ET 732 and MES30 Temp not the same?
- › Canada Goose Jassen samen met elkaar
- › Boning Out A Pork Arm Shoulder Picnic
- › LONDON BROIL
- › Terms and Conditions
- › Home Grinding Your Own Ground Beef
- › YOU DID WHAT TO THAT BIRD?!?!?-tHE
- › How To Embed an Image Into Your Post
- › Those Crusty Crustaceans BBQ
- › Making Bacon