I have some drum sticks with skin on. How would you smoke them? My smoker only goes to 275. Whith wood? any seasoning? let me know what you would do never done drum sticks. Just started smoker going to put them in when temp gets up. Thanks.
Related Forum Threads
- SoCal rookie Vert smoker Last post on 10/26/13 at 8:54am in For New Members
- Chicken, my new favorite method Last post on 5/31/14 at 7:23pm in Poultry
- A little evening Spatch ....Do you approve? Last post on 9/29/13 at 9:00am in Poultry
- First whole chicken is smokin' Last post on 10/4/13 at 11:44am in Grilling Chicken
- First real try at smoked chicken Last post on 6/25/16 at 9:14pm in Poultry
Smoked/Dutch Oven Southwestern Chicken & Rice
Last edited: 12/26/11
- Jamacian Jerked WingsLast edited: 4/27/11
- Cutting Up A Whole ChickenLast edited: 4/28/11
- Brining PoultryLast edited: 10/30/12
- How To Smoke Chicken Competition StyleLast edited: 5/25/10
I do the raw dog food thing and grind up about 40 lbs of meat a month and it does it in about 20-30 minutes. Chicken, turkey, pork, what ever, bones and all. Im not sure why I mentioned it had...
You can't get it to cooking temp. (i.e. 220-240) with anything more than 2-3 lb. of meat in it! Buy something with a bigger heater if you're a serious meat smoker. Yes ... the heat control...
I saved up my Cabela's points for a long time, then found a WSM 22.5 floor model at Cabela's that just happened to be the last one in the store, and it just happened to be missing some pieces and...
WSM 22.5, charcoal chimney, modified Minion method I tried a couple bags of RO Hardwood Lump, but have returned to using KBB. The RO Lump lights easily and burns clean, but I was unable to...
Quote: http://www.oureviews.com/weber-721001-smokey-mountain-cooker-18-inch-smoker/ It is evident that Weber 721001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 18 inches are the best product for meat smoking. It can...
Chicken drum sticks???post #1 of 158/9/10 at 11:16amThread Starter
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 158/9/10 at 11:25am
Josh, i have done drummies a few times... the kids love 'em. Normally i put my rub on a few hours ahead of time and then throw them on the smoker. Don't need to get up to 275, should be done in 1.5 - 2 hours at 225. I normally use either apple wood chips or chunks of cherry (cutting down a tree in my back yard one slice at a time :)). Last time i made them i bought 40 for about $10, hard to beat. With about 30 minutes left in the smoke I put some wing sauce on 1/3 of them, bbq sauce on 1/3, and left the other 1/3 Au Natual. Turned out great for being easy, cheap, and a little variety.post #3 of 158/9/10 at 11:27ampost #4 of 158/9/10 at 12:07pmThread Starter
I don't like to brine. Only done it 1 time and the bird was salty. My wife liked it but she likes salt. I don't. They are in the smokey now. Put honey BBQ on some for the kids and wife. Going to make hot legs for my 10 year old we have no wings. He loves hot wings.post #5 of 158/9/10 at 3:49pm
i never brine just rub with whatever & i like to add bbbacon to mine. smokeem in your fav flavor I like hickory or plum on mine.
Sorry I tried to post some pics on here but I can still not get it?post #6 of 158/9/10 at 6:48pm
Now you can try Tip's brine if you want it's low in salt. If not I would just smoke them at 275* and that should get your skin nice and crispty too. I smoke my birds at 275-300* and they come out really good and super juicey too.post #7 of 158/9/10 at 6:56pm
Yeah, you should give brining another shot -- it makes a huge difference IMHO. For legs with skin on only leave them in the brine for 1 - 1.5 hours.
I'm guessing that you've eaten them by now, but I'm hoping that you took some pics for us...post #8 of 158/9/10 at 7:01pm
I'm with mythmaster... I have started brining all my birds and their parts.. it is juicier.. in my smoker...
if too salty .. use less time in brine or less salt in solution or both.... good luck..post #9 of 158/10/10 at 9:25am
I too brine all poultry. Did cut a lil of the salt in tips brine last time (by 1/3).
Great moistness and flavor.
My mes will only get up around 260,So i smoke and then run poultry under the broiler to crisp up the skin. We love a smoked chicken salad.post #10 of 157/31/14 at 11:31am
I am new to the forum, but I've been using grill all my life and discovered smoker 15 years ago. I brine in the fridge overnight (just salt and water).
Sprinkle with rub. I normally use Famous Dave's rub. Smoke at 250 for 3 hours. I like hickory's strong aroma (apple would obviously work well).
I also use black currant for smoking- awesome flavor. I have few shrubs in may backyard and just cut few branches when necessary.post #11 of 157/31/14 at 11:46ampost #12 of 157/31/14 at 11:53amQuote:
Did you wash the brine off and dry with paper towels? If not that is why. A proper brine will not add salt to the meat.post #13 of 157/31/14 at 11:55ampost #14 of 157/31/14 at 11:56amQuote:
Not sure you will get a response to this bud....JoshS's last post in this forum was in 2011! LOLpost #15 of 157/31/14 at 7:20pm
- Chicken drum sticks???
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Jamacian Jerked Wings
- › MARATHON COOKING DAY TODAY! 1 minute ago
- › sausage stuffer 2 minutes ago
- › my first summer sausage 11 minutes ago
- › Piri Piri Wings 24 minutes ago
- › Beef back ribs 32 minutes ago
- › Tri-Tip never Again 44 minutes ago
- › Cajun spiced Tri tip 51 minutes ago
- › Smoked trout frittata 56 minutes ago
- › First go at snack sticks 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
- › My adventures in starting dry curing 1 hour, 8 minutes ago
- › Weston Pro Series #22 Food Grinder 1HP by TripleQ
- › Bradley Digital 6-Rack Smoker by BuffaloBoy
- › Weber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22.5-Inch Smoker by HardwoodAlchemy
- › Royal Oak 100% All Natural Hardwood Lump Charcoal by HardwoodAlchemy
- › Weber 721001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 18.5-Inch Smoker by Yoni Malka
- › Smoke Daddy Cold Smoke Generators by smoke-n-meat
- › Davy Crockett by Exmilitary
- › Landmann USA 3895GLA Smoky Mountain Vertical Gas Smoker, 38-Inch by BensonsSmoke
- › The A-Maze-N-Pellet TUBE SMOKER (AMNPTS) by ChipNPutt
- › Smoke Daddy Pellet Pro® Smoke Ring Cold Smoker by hattles