I have some drum sticks with skin on. How would you smoke them? My smoker only goes to 275. Whith wood? any seasoning? let me know what you would do never done drum sticks. Just started smoker going to put them in when temp gets up. Thanks.
Related Forum Threads
- SoCal rookie Vert smoker Last post on 10/26/13 at 8:54am in For New Members
- Chicken, my new favorite method Last post on 5/31/14 at 7:23pm in Poultry
- A little evening Spatch ....Do you approve? Last post on 9/29/13 at 9:00am in Poultry
- First whole chicken is smokin' Last post on 10/4/13 at 11:44am in Grilling Chicken
- First real try at smoked chicken Last post on 9/17/13 at 10:40am in Poultry
Smoked/Dutch Oven Southwestern Chicken & Rice
Last edited: 12/26/11
- Jamacian Jerked WingsLast edited: 4/27/11
- Cutting Up A Whole ChickenLast edited: 4/28/11
- Brining PoultryLast edited: 10/30/12
- How To Smoke Chicken Competition StyleLast edited: 5/25/10
I'm a rookie and this product made things pretty easy for me on the first two attempts. Both my brisket one day, as well as 2 split chickens a few days later were delicious and relatively easy. ...
I started with a cheap smoker that I bought from Home Depot that out lived its life. I was in BJ's and saw this one on sale for $275.00. After finding this site and looking at the reviews i...
I bought this on sale to use as a temporary smoker until I can afford a super heavy-duty unit, and after my larger similar offset smoker finally died. Although it's too light for constant use, it...
I have had this Weber performer for 25 yrs and have replaced the cooking grill, bricket grill and the ash catcher bucket once. If I ever have replace parts again.......I will. I love this grill and...
I am a rookie to the world of smokers but this Traeger Junior Pellet Grill makes me look and taste like a Pro. Super easy to use and the outcome is amazing! Only thing is the pellet box is small...
Chicken drum sticks???post #1 of 158/9/10 at 11:16amThread Starter
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 158/9/10 at 11:25am
Josh, i have done drummies a few times... the kids love 'em. Normally i put my rub on a few hours ahead of time and then throw them on the smoker. Don't need to get up to 275, should be done in 1.5 - 2 hours at 225. I normally use either apple wood chips or chunks of cherry (cutting down a tree in my back yard one slice at a time :)). Last time i made them i bought 40 for about $10, hard to beat. With about 30 minutes left in the smoke I put some wing sauce on 1/3 of them, bbq sauce on 1/3, and left the other 1/3 Au Natual. Turned out great for being easy, cheap, and a little variety.post #3 of 158/9/10 at 11:27ampost #4 of 158/9/10 at 12:07pmThread Starter
I don't like to brine. Only done it 1 time and the bird was salty. My wife liked it but she likes salt. I don't. They are in the smokey now. Put honey BBQ on some for the kids and wife. Going to make hot legs for my 10 year old we have no wings. He loves hot wings.post #5 of 158/9/10 at 3:49pm
i never brine just rub with whatever & i like to add bbbacon to mine. smokeem in your fav flavor I like hickory or plum on mine.
Sorry I tried to post some pics on here but I can still not get it?post #6 of 158/9/10 at 6:48pm
Now you can try Tip's brine if you want it's low in salt. If not I would just smoke them at 275* and that should get your skin nice and crispty too. I smoke my birds at 275-300* and they come out really good and super juicey too.post #7 of 158/9/10 at 6:56pm
Yeah, you should give brining another shot -- it makes a huge difference IMHO. For legs with skin on only leave them in the brine for 1 - 1.5 hours.
I'm guessing that you've eaten them by now, but I'm hoping that you took some pics for us...post #8 of 158/9/10 at 7:01pm
I'm with mythmaster... I have started brining all my birds and their parts.. it is juicier.. in my smoker...
if too salty .. use less time in brine or less salt in solution or both.... good luck..post #9 of 158/10/10 at 9:25am
I too brine all poultry. Did cut a lil of the salt in tips brine last time (by 1/3).
Great moistness and flavor.
My mes will only get up around 260,So i smoke and then run poultry under the broiler to crisp up the skin. We love a smoked chicken salad.post #10 of 157/31/14 at 11:31am
I am new to the forum, but I've been using grill all my life and discovered smoker 15 years ago. I brine in the fridge overnight (just salt and water).
Sprinkle with rub. I normally use Famous Dave's rub. Smoke at 250 for 3 hours. I like hickory's strong aroma (apple would obviously work well).
I also use black currant for smoking- awesome flavor. I have few shrubs in may backyard and just cut few branches when necessary.post #11 of 157/31/14 at 11:46ampost #12 of 157/31/14 at 11:53amQuote:
Did you wash the brine off and dry with paper towels? If not that is why. A proper brine will not add salt to the meat.post #13 of 157/31/14 at 11:55ampost #14 of 157/31/14 at 11:56amQuote:
Not sure you will get a response to this bud....JoshS's last post in this forum was in 2011! LOLpost #15 of 157/31/14 at 7:20pm
- Chicken drum sticks???
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Jamacian Jerked Wings
- › +91-8239910405 LearN BLAck MAgiC SpEcIALISt in Guwahati Assam 10 seconds ago
- › +91-8239910405 LearN BLAck MAgiC SpEcIALISt in Gurgaon Haryana 27 seconds ago
- › +91-8239910405 LearN BLAck MAgiC SpEcIALISt in Ghaziabad Uttar... 36 seconds ago
- › +91-8239910405 LearN BLAck MAgiC SpEcIALISt in Dehradun Uttarakhand 2 minutes ago
- › +91-8239910405 LearN BLAck MAgiC SpEcIALISt in Chennai* Tamil... 2 minutes ago
- › +91-8239910405 LearN BLAck MAgiC SpEcIALISt in Malerkotla 5 minutes ago
- › +91-8239910405 LearN BLAck MAgiC SpEcIALISt in Kapurthala 5 minutes ago
- › +91-8239910405 LearN BLAck MAgiC SpEcIALISt in Bhilwara Rajasthan 7 minutes ago
- › +91-8239910405 LearN BLAck MAgiC SpEcIALISt in Chittorgarh 8 minutes ago
- › Big Tex Project 8 minutes ago
- › Landman 3895Gwla Smoky MountainVertical Gas Smoker, 38-Inch by Jarrinjack
- › Smoke Hollow Pro Series 44" by Hulka
- › Char Broil Offset Smoker American Gourmet Grill by D9sus4
- › Weber 1421001 Performer Charcoal Grill, Black by fire in the hole
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by USMC1833
- › GMG by pharmdog
- › Bradley Digital 6-Rack Smoker by TimTimmay
- › EatSmart Precision Elite Digital Kitchen Scale - 15 lb. Capacity,... by gary s
- › Rival Company Seal-A-Meal Vacuum Sealer FSSMSL0160-000 by gary s
- › Kitchener 168613 5 lb. Vertical Sausage Stuffer by gary s
- › New Nomenclature - Beef
- › New Nomenclature - Pork
- › Smoke Ring Formation
- › Meats Touching Meats in Curing Brine
- › Reverse Flow Smoker... How to calculate...
- › Pop's Brine Concerned with Cure Only
- › The Difference Between Kosher, Table and Sea...
- › Cured and Smoked Beef Bacon and Pastrami
- › Changing Colors of Meats
- › A-MAZE-N Products Thanksgiving Smoking...