I have some drum sticks with skin on. How would you smoke them? My smoker only goes to 275. Whith wood? any seasoning? let me know what you would do never done drum sticks. Just started smoker going to put them in when temp gets up. Thanks.
Related Forum Threads
- SoCal rookie Vert smoker Last post on 10/26/13 at 8:54am in For New Members
- Chicken, my new favorite method Last post on 5/31/14 at 7:23pm in Poultry
- A little evening Spatch ....Do you approve? Last post on 9/29/13 at 9:00am in Poultry
- First whole chicken is smokin' Last post on 10/4/13 at 11:44am in Grilling Chicken
- First real try at smoked chicken Last post on 9/17/13 at 10:40am in Poultry
Smoked/Dutch Oven Southwestern Chicken & Rice
Last edited: 12/26/11
- Jamacian Jerked WingsLast edited: 4/27/11
- Cutting Up A Whole ChickenLast edited: 4/28/11
- Brining PoultryLast edited: 10/30/12
- How To Smoke Chicken Competition StyleLast edited: 5/25/10
Without mods I liked my traeger texas...flies and all. Temp swings way too big for my comfort zone so I changed to a Blazn grill PID. About $219 plus shipping. Dead on temp control....
With two doors you will not let out the warm to add water and chips pans. I run both burners to get up to temp then install pan with chip to lit burner, shut down the other side. To keep 225, all...
I own a pair of these, liked the first one so much bought another to do multiple cuts of meat. Turkeys are fantastic, taste as good as a OIL fried bird. My all time favorite however is Pork...
I have been using my Yoder YS 640 for about 3 weeks and have had great success in regards to cooking pork butts, ribs, brisket. I think the ease of being able to control the cooking temp, if...
I've had this thing for about 6 months, and have given up trying to grille anything on it. Hamburgers turn grey, and are very unappetizing. Steaks never get any grille marks, it is impossible to...
Chicken drum sticks???post #1 of 158/9/10 at 11:16amThread Starter
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 158/9/10 at 11:25am
Josh, i have done drummies a few times... the kids love 'em. Normally i put my rub on a few hours ahead of time and then throw them on the smoker. Don't need to get up to 275, should be done in 1.5 - 2 hours at 225. I normally use either apple wood chips or chunks of cherry (cutting down a tree in my back yard one slice at a time :)). Last time i made them i bought 40 for about $10, hard to beat. With about 30 minutes left in the smoke I put some wing sauce on 1/3 of them, bbq sauce on 1/3, and left the other 1/3 Au Natual. Turned out great for being easy, cheap, and a little variety.post #3 of 158/9/10 at 11:27ampost #4 of 158/9/10 at 12:07pmThread Starter
I don't like to brine. Only done it 1 time and the bird was salty. My wife liked it but she likes salt. I don't. They are in the smokey now. Put honey BBQ on some for the kids and wife. Going to make hot legs for my 10 year old we have no wings. He loves hot wings.post #5 of 158/9/10 at 3:49pm
i never brine just rub with whatever & i like to add bbbacon to mine. smokeem in your fav flavor I like hickory or plum on mine.
Sorry I tried to post some pics on here but I can still not get it?post #6 of 158/9/10 at 6:48pm
Now you can try Tip's brine if you want it's low in salt. If not I would just smoke them at 275* and that should get your skin nice and crispty too. I smoke my birds at 275-300* and they come out really good and super juicey too.post #7 of 158/9/10 at 6:56pm
Yeah, you should give brining another shot -- it makes a huge difference IMHO. For legs with skin on only leave them in the brine for 1 - 1.5 hours.
I'm guessing that you've eaten them by now, but I'm hoping that you took some pics for us...post #8 of 158/9/10 at 7:01pm
I'm with mythmaster... I have started brining all my birds and their parts.. it is juicier.. in my smoker...
if too salty .. use less time in brine or less salt in solution or both.... good luck..post #9 of 158/10/10 at 9:25am
I too brine all poultry. Did cut a lil of the salt in tips brine last time (by 1/3).
Great moistness and flavor.
My mes will only get up around 260,So i smoke and then run poultry under the broiler to crisp up the skin. We love a smoked chicken salad.post #10 of 157/31/14 at 11:31am
I am new to the forum, but I've been using grill all my life and discovered smoker 15 years ago. I brine in the fridge overnight (just salt and water).
Sprinkle with rub. I normally use Famous Dave's rub. Smoke at 250 for 3 hours. I like hickory's strong aroma (apple would obviously work well).
I also use black currant for smoking- awesome flavor. I have few shrubs in may backyard and just cut few branches when necessary.post #11 of 157/31/14 at 11:46ampost #12 of 157/31/14 at 11:53amQuote:
Did you wash the brine off and dry with paper towels? If not that is why. A proper brine will not add salt to the meat.post #13 of 157/31/14 at 11:55ampost #14 of 157/31/14 at 11:56amQuote:
Not sure you will get a response to this bud....JoshS's last post in this forum was in 2011! LOLpost #15 of 157/31/14 at 7:20pm
- Chicken drum sticks???
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Jamacian Jerked Wings
- › BSR's 1 minute ago
- › Six Smoked Chickens 5 minutes ago
- › AMNPS in a Pellet Grill for cold smoking 8 minutes ago
- › No wind today 11 minutes ago
- › MASTER FORGE SBQ 5760 CU has an "H" in the TEMP area 13 minutes ago
- › Prime Rib for 5 (Double Birthday Dinner) 15 minutes ago
- › Won't get up past 150 degrees 16 minutes ago
- › Jake from California 17 minutes ago
- › Heat control and smoke flavor 22 minutes ago
- › Here we go again for brisket 28 minutes ago
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by Okie52
- › Smoke Hollow 44241G2 44-Inch Vertical LP Gas Smoker by deer lane
- › Char-Broil The Big Easy Oil-Less Infrared Turkey Fryer by Boonedawg
- › Yoder YS 640 Pellet Smoker by CaptianSmokey
- › Char-Broil N480 4-Burner Gas Grill, with Side Burner by TheOldMan
- › Pellet Pro® Ugly Drum Smoker Pellet Conversion Kit by lizziejoy
- › Bradley BTIS1 Original Fully Automatic 4-Rack Outdoor Food Smoker by Mark Andersen
- › ProAccurate Folding Thermocouple Thermometer Color: Red by daRicksta
- › AKORN Kamado Kooker Grill with Cart by Addertooth
- › Weber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22.5-Inch Smoker by smoke slinger
- › Looking for RF Grill near Raleigh NC
- › Knives, Steels, and Sharpeners
- › Ground Beef And Food Safety
- › Ground Beef In A Tube
- › ET 732 and MES30 Temp not the same?
- › Canada Goose Jassen samen met elkaar
- › Boning Out A Pork Arm Shoulder Picnic
- › LONDON BROIL
- › Terms and Conditions
- › Home Grinding Your Own Ground Beef