I have some drum sticks with skin on. How would you smoke them? My smoker only goes to 275. Whith wood? any seasoning? let me know what you would do never done drum sticks. Just started smoker going to put them in when temp gets up. Thanks.
Related Forum Threads
- SoCal rookie Vert smoker Last post on 10/26/13 at 8:54am in For New Members
- Chicken, my new favorite method Last post on 3/27/14 at 4:04pm in Poultry
- A little evening Spatch ....Do you approve? Last post on 9/29/13 at 9:00am in Poultry
- First whole chicken is smokin' Last post on 10/4/13 at 11:44am in Grilling Chicken
- First real try at smoked chicken Last post on 9/17/13 at 10:40am in Poultry
Smoked/Dutch Oven Southwestern Chicken & Rice
Last edited: 12/26/11
- Jamacian Jerked WingsLast edited: 4/27/11
- Cutting Up A Whole ChickenLast edited: 4/28/11
- Brining PoultryLast edited: 10/30/12
- How To Smoke Chicken Competition StyleLast edited: 5/25/10
After reading the reviews and some of the issues of keeping the pellets smoking, i was a bit curious how my experience would be. I microwave my pellets everytime so they are good and dry and have...
I can grill six porterhouse steaks at one time with this thing. Cooks very well. I would recomend this grill to other people.
Love this grill!!!
I bought the Notorious P.I.G. after reading "Meat Smoking and Smokehouse Design", I wanted to cold smoke and this looked like an easy introduction to the process. I haven't built a proper smoke...
I'm fairly new to smoking, I've been doing it for a few years with a "Little Chief" but wanted to have better results and do some cold smoking, so I signed this book out from my library. I really...
Chicken drum sticks???post #1 of 98/9/10 at 11:16amThread Starter
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 98/9/10 at 11:25am
Josh, i have done drummies a few times... the kids love 'em. Normally i put my rub on a few hours ahead of time and then throw them on the smoker. Don't need to get up to 275, should be done in 1.5 - 2 hours at 225. I normally use either apple wood chips or chunks of cherry (cutting down a tree in my back yard one slice at a time :)). Last time i made them i bought 40 for about $10, hard to beat. With about 30 minutes left in the smoke I put some wing sauce on 1/3 of them, bbq sauce on 1/3, and left the other 1/3 Au Natual. Turned out great for being easy, cheap, and a little variety.post #3 of 98/9/10 at 11:27ampost #4 of 98/9/10 at 12:07pmThread Starter
I don't like to brine. Only done it 1 time and the bird was salty. My wife liked it but she likes salt. I don't. They are in the smokey now. Put honey BBQ on some for the kids and wife. Going to make hot legs for my 10 year old we have no wings. He loves hot wings.post #5 of 98/9/10 at 3:49pm
i never brine just rub with whatever & i like to add bbbacon to mine. smokeem in your fav flavor I like hickory or plum on mine.
Sorry I tried to post some pics on here but I can still not get it?post #6 of 98/9/10 at 6:48pm
Now you can try Tip's brine if you want it's low in salt. If not I would just smoke them at 275* and that should get your skin nice and crispty too. I smoke my birds at 275-300* and they come out really good and super juicey too.post #7 of 98/9/10 at 6:56pm
Yeah, you should give brining another shot -- it makes a huge difference IMHO. For legs with skin on only leave them in the brine for 1 - 1.5 hours.
I'm guessing that you've eaten them by now, but I'm hoping that you took some pics for us...post #8 of 98/9/10 at 7:01pm
I'm with mythmaster... I have started brining all my birds and their parts.. it is juicier.. in my smoker...
if too salty .. use less time in brine or less salt in solution or both.... good luck..post #9 of 98/10/10 at 9:25am
I too brine all poultry. Did cut a lil of the salt in tips brine last time (by 1/3).
Great moistness and flavor.
My mes will only get up around 260,So i smoke and then run poultry under the broiler to crisp up the skin. We love a smoked chicken salad.
- Chicken drum sticks???
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Jamacian Jerked Wings
- › smoked garlic 1 minute ago
- › cold smoking bacon joint. 2 minutes ago
- › i need some rub recipes, using natural products, please help 3 minutes ago
- › A Homage to Foam---My Chocolate Bread Pudding 5 minutes ago
- › Spray foam insulation removal question 6 minutes ago
- › should i freeze it ? 8 minutes ago
- › Beef back ribs, leg of lamb, and the leanest brisket I have ever... 10 minutes ago
- › Bear's Favorite Candy (Big Batch for Easter) 11 minutes ago
- › New member 11 minutes ago
- › Stil Haus Kitchens Vance Miller 13 minutes ago
- › A-Maze-N-Pellet-Smoker by mtoews
- › Char Broil 22-1/2-Inch Round Charcoal Kettle Grill by Laughingpanther
- › Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill 596 Sq. In. Cooking... by Fendrbluz
- › Smoke Daddy Cold Smoke Generators by Leaky
- › Meat Smoking and Smokehouse Design by Leaky
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by Hunter05
- › Weber 721001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 18.5-Inch Smoker by mbarys
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by BRycraft
- › Smokin-it model 3 by leeniez
- › Brinkmann 810-5301-6 Smoke'N Grill Charcoal Smoker and Grill,... by senorkevin
- › YOU DID WHAT TO THAT BIRD?!?!?-tHE by maxxrocket
- › How To Embed an Image Into Your Post by Pops6927
- › Those Crusty Crustaceans BBQ by mattmlstd
- › Making Bacon by Pops6927
- › Pork Meat Selection And Processing by Pops6927
- › A-MAZE-N Products Thanksgiving Contest by JenniO11
- › Curing And Smoking Information From The... by Pops6927
- › Cooking Log by Pops6927
- › Community Spotlight: Recipes by Bearcarver by monicas
- › Micro Smoker by BrianBray