I have some drum sticks with skin on. How would you smoke them? My smoker only goes to 275. Whith wood? any seasoning? let me know what you would do never done drum sticks. Just started smoker going to put them in when temp gets up. Thanks.
Related Forum Threads
- SoCal rookie Vert smoker Last post on 10/26/13 at 8:54am in For New Members
- Chicken, my new favorite method Last post on 5/31/14 at 7:23pm in Poultry
- A little evening Spatch ....Do you approve? Last post on 9/29/13 at 9:00am in Poultry
- First whole chicken is smokin' Last post on 10/4/13 at 11:44am in Grilling Chicken
- First real try at smoked chicken Last post on 9/17/13 at 10:40am in Poultry
Smoked/Dutch Oven Southwestern Chicken & Rice
Last edited: 12/26/11
- Jamacian Jerked WingsLast edited: 4/27/11
- Cutting Up A Whole ChickenLast edited: 4/28/11
- Brining PoultryLast edited: 10/30/12
- How To Smoke Chicken Competition StyleLast edited: 5/25/10
Amazon makes it very convenient to return damaged items and they give you more than ample time. So, it wasn't a real problem returning the first one. The second unit that I received was...
Purchased a Yoder after decided a pellet smoker is the way to go, and not being impressed with the gauge of metal I saw in the Traegers. To be honest, mine smoker will be stored outdoors in a humid...
Have owned this for 2 years and have loved it. However getting ready to do a brisket and 3 racks of ribs this AM and when I turn it on its tripping the GFI. Its drizzling out but am under cover...
It's small. - As a result the firebox is very close to the cooking area of the grill. It's cheap, which means it rusts easily, but the cost of it isn't going to break your back, so you can...
I have used the Pitmaster IQ120 for a couple weeks now. I am a tinkerer by nature, and have explored all the features on this unit. Every feature worked as advertised, and frequently better than...
Chicken drum sticks???post #1 of 158/9/10 at 11:16amThread Starter
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 158/9/10 at 11:25am
Josh, i have done drummies a few times... the kids love 'em. Normally i put my rub on a few hours ahead of time and then throw them on the smoker. Don't need to get up to 275, should be done in 1.5 - 2 hours at 225. I normally use either apple wood chips or chunks of cherry (cutting down a tree in my back yard one slice at a time :)). Last time i made them i bought 40 for about $10, hard to beat. With about 30 minutes left in the smoke I put some wing sauce on 1/3 of them, bbq sauce on 1/3, and left the other 1/3 Au Natual. Turned out great for being easy, cheap, and a little variety.post #3 of 158/9/10 at 11:27ampost #4 of 158/9/10 at 12:07pmThread Starter
I don't like to brine. Only done it 1 time and the bird was salty. My wife liked it but she likes salt. I don't. They are in the smokey now. Put honey BBQ on some for the kids and wife. Going to make hot legs for my 10 year old we have no wings. He loves hot wings.post #5 of 158/9/10 at 3:49pm
i never brine just rub with whatever & i like to add bbbacon to mine. smokeem in your fav flavor I like hickory or plum on mine.
Sorry I tried to post some pics on here but I can still not get it?post #6 of 158/9/10 at 6:48pm
Now you can try Tip's brine if you want it's low in salt. If not I would just smoke them at 275* and that should get your skin nice and crispty too. I smoke my birds at 275-300* and they come out really good and super juicey too.post #7 of 158/9/10 at 6:56pm
Yeah, you should give brining another shot -- it makes a huge difference IMHO. For legs with skin on only leave them in the brine for 1 - 1.5 hours.
I'm guessing that you've eaten them by now, but I'm hoping that you took some pics for us...post #8 of 158/9/10 at 7:01pm
I'm with mythmaster... I have started brining all my birds and their parts.. it is juicier.. in my smoker...
if too salty .. use less time in brine or less salt in solution or both.... good luck..post #9 of 158/10/10 at 9:25am
I too brine all poultry. Did cut a lil of the salt in tips brine last time (by 1/3).
Great moistness and flavor.
My mes will only get up around 260,So i smoke and then run poultry under the broiler to crisp up the skin. We love a smoked chicken salad.post #10 of 157/31/14 at 11:31am
I am new to the forum, but I've been using grill all my life and discovered smoker 15 years ago. I brine in the fridge overnight (just salt and water).
Sprinkle with rub. I normally use Famous Dave's rub. Smoke at 250 for 3 hours. I like hickory's strong aroma (apple would obviously work well).
I also use black currant for smoking- awesome flavor. I have few shrubs in may backyard and just cut few branches when necessary.post #11 of 157/31/14 at 11:46ampost #12 of 157/31/14 at 11:53amQuote:
Did you wash the brine off and dry with paper towels? If not that is why. A proper brine will not add salt to the meat.post #13 of 157/31/14 at 11:55ampost #14 of 157/31/14 at 11:56amQuote:
Not sure you will get a response to this bud....JoshS's last post in this forum was in 2011! LOLpost #15 of 157/31/14 at 7:20pm
- Chicken drum sticks???
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Jamacian Jerked Wings
- › Swiss sausage for potato soup help 32 seconds ago
- › Sorry, one more question 2 minutes ago
- › Advice on smoking a couple of Butts 5 minutes ago
- › Should I cut my brisket in half? 9 minutes ago
- › What are your top favorite bands? 9 minutes ago
- › Need wood advice 13 minutes ago
- › Mothers' Day Porkapalooza - Pulled Pork, Pork Shots and ABTs 37 minutes ago
- › Newbie ready to move from grilling to smoking 37 minutes ago
- › Mini-WSM Poll, what kind of baffle do you use (or not use) 40 minutes ago
- › 60 lbs of bellies today 41 minutes ago
- › Camp Chef SMV24S 24" Smoke Vault - SMV24S by footfault
- › Yoder YS 640 Pellet Smoker by MikeInMo
- › Master Forge Electric Cabinet Smoker by Bobur7
- › Char Broil Offset Smoker American Gourmet Grill by CanadianBBQ
- › IQ120 BBQ Temperature Regulator Kit with Standard Pit Adapter by Addertooth
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by SLOsmoker
- › Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill by Leonard Berbon
- › JB's Fat Boy Prime Angus Rub, 24 Ounce by DUFFMAN
- › Smokin-It Model 2 Electric Smoker by Smokin Pastor
- › Smoking Meat: The Essential Guide to Real Barbecue by Rob Sicc
- › Boning Out A Pork Arm Shoulder Picnic
- › LONDON BROIL
- › Terms and Conditions
- › Home Grinding Your Own Ground Beef
- › YOU DID WHAT TO THAT BIRD?!?!?-tHE
- › How To Embed an Image Into Your Post
- › Those Crusty Crustaceans BBQ
- › Making Bacon
- › Pork Meat Selection And Processing
- › A-MAZE-N Products Thanksgiving Contest