I have some drum sticks with skin on. How would you smoke them? My smoker only goes to 275. Whith wood? any seasoning? let me know what you would do never done drum sticks. Just started smoker going to put them in when temp gets up. Thanks.
Related Forum Threads
- SoCal rookie Vert smoker Last post on 10/26/13 at 8:54am in For New Members
- Chicken, my new favorite method Last post on 5/31/14 at 7:23pm in Poultry
- A little evening Spatch ....Do you approve? Last post on 9/29/13 at 9:00am in Poultry
- First whole chicken is smokin' Last post on 10/4/13 at 11:44am in Grilling Chicken
- First real try at smoked chicken Last post on 9/17/13 at 10:40am in Poultry
Smoked/Dutch Oven Southwestern Chicken & Rice
Last edited: 12/26/11
- Jamacian Jerked WingsLast edited: 4/27/11
- Cutting Up A Whole ChickenLast edited: 4/28/11
- Brining PoultryLast edited: 10/30/12
- How To Smoke Chicken Competition StyleLast edited: 5/25/10
The Kamado Joe classic is expensive but I feel it is the best value for money on the ceramic kamado market. I'm still amazed every time I do a low-slow cook how little charcoal it uses. And the...
I have not had any trouble keeping this little smoker at 180-190 for low slow brisket smoking - but I have found it works better with a 14-18 pounder vs a small 8-10 pounder in there... Dry-rubbed...
I was in the process of looking for a horizontal offset smoker when my wife brought home this rig for my birthday present. I didn't have the heart to say I wanted to get something a little better...
Make sure that if your are buying a Masterbuilt smoker, find out when it was made, if it is more than a year old DON'T buy it, the company only makes parts for a short time. My smoker is only...
I purchased my Gridiron in May of 2013, so I think that I am qualified to write this review. I researched the Pellet cooker offers for about a year before I discovered the Blazn Grill Works...
Chicken drum sticks???post #1 of 98/9/10 at 11:16amThread Starter
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 98/9/10 at 11:25am
Josh, i have done drummies a few times... the kids love 'em. Normally i put my rub on a few hours ahead of time and then throw them on the smoker. Don't need to get up to 275, should be done in 1.5 - 2 hours at 225. I normally use either apple wood chips or chunks of cherry (cutting down a tree in my back yard one slice at a time :)). Last time i made them i bought 40 for about $10, hard to beat. With about 30 minutes left in the smoke I put some wing sauce on 1/3 of them, bbq sauce on 1/3, and left the other 1/3 Au Natual. Turned out great for being easy, cheap, and a little variety.post #3 of 98/9/10 at 11:27ampost #4 of 98/9/10 at 12:07pmThread Starter
I don't like to brine. Only done it 1 time and the bird was salty. My wife liked it but she likes salt. I don't. They are in the smokey now. Put honey BBQ on some for the kids and wife. Going to make hot legs for my 10 year old we have no wings. He loves hot wings.post #5 of 98/9/10 at 3:49pm
i never brine just rub with whatever & i like to add bbbacon to mine. smokeem in your fav flavor I like hickory or plum on mine.
Sorry I tried to post some pics on here but I can still not get it?post #6 of 98/9/10 at 6:48pm
Now you can try Tip's brine if you want it's low in salt. If not I would just smoke them at 275* and that should get your skin nice and crispty too. I smoke my birds at 275-300* and they come out really good and super juicey too.post #7 of 98/9/10 at 6:56pm
Yeah, you should give brining another shot -- it makes a huge difference IMHO. For legs with skin on only leave them in the brine for 1 - 1.5 hours.
I'm guessing that you've eaten them by now, but I'm hoping that you took some pics for us...post #8 of 98/9/10 at 7:01pm
I'm with mythmaster... I have started brining all my birds and their parts.. it is juicier.. in my smoker...
if too salty .. use less time in brine or less salt in solution or both.... good luck..post #9 of 98/10/10 at 9:25am
I too brine all poultry. Did cut a lil of the salt in tips brine last time (by 1/3).
Great moistness and flavor.
My mes will only get up around 260,So i smoke and then run poultry under the broiler to crisp up the skin. We love a smoked chicken salad.
- Chicken drum sticks???
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Jamacian Jerked Wings
- › I wish someone would create a video for the newbies on MES40 set up... 2 minutes ago
- › MES30 and too much smoke from AMPS 7 minutes ago
- › Teriyaki Wings with a nod to Scarbelly 8 minutes ago
- › Noob question - Masterbuilt electric 8 minutes ago
- › Salami Question 9 minutes ago
- › New Smoker Saying Hi 13 minutes ago
- › First Fatty Attempt 21 minutes ago
- › From Dirty to hopefully Delicious 25 minutes ago
- › Issues with MES 27 minutes ago
- › LAST MINUTE 29 minutes ago
- › Kamado Joe ClassicJoe by Greencat
- › Brinkmann Vertical Gas Smoker, 810-5530-S by BZMANCUSTOMS
- › Sierra Offset Smoker by signal26
- › Masterbuilt 30-Inch Smokehouse Smoker by godfather1
- › Blaz'n Grill Works "Gridiron" by Endymion
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by ThomasS
- › Masterbuilt Gas Smoker XL by JonF
- › Amaze-N- Pellet Smoker by Addertooth
- › Stubb's Charcoal Briquettes by darryl209
- › Horizon 16" Classic Backyard Smoker by drgreybow
- › LONDON BROIL
- › Terms and Conditions
- › Home Grinding Your Own Ground Beef
- › YOU DID WHAT TO THAT BIRD?!?!?-tHE
- › How To Embed an Image Into Your Post
- › Those Crusty Crustaceans BBQ
- › Making Bacon
- › Pork Meat Selection And Processing
- › A-MAZE-N Products Thanksgiving Contest
- › Curing And Smoking Information From The...