I have some drum sticks with skin on. How would you smoke them? My smoker only goes to 275. Whith wood? any seasoning? let me know what you would do never done drum sticks. Just started smoker going to put them in when temp gets up. Thanks.
Related Forum Threads
- SoCal rookie Vert smoker Last post on 10/26/13 at 8:54am in For New Members
- Chicken, my new favorite method Last post on 5/31/14 at 7:23pm in Poultry
- A little evening Spatch ....Do you approve? Last post on 9/29/13 at 9:00am in Poultry
- First whole chicken is smokin' Last post on 10/4/13 at 11:44am in Grilling Chicken
- First real try at smoked chicken Last post on 6/25/16 at 9:14pm in Poultry
Smoked/Dutch Oven Southwestern Chicken & Rice
Last edited: 12/26/11
- Jamacian Jerked WingsLast edited: 4/27/11
- Cutting Up A Whole ChickenLast edited: 4/28/11
- Brining PoultryLast edited: 10/30/12
- How To Smoke Chicken Competition StyleLast edited: 5/25/10
Got this for convenience and the ease of smoking at tailgates or events without pulling the stick burner. Smoked several meals on it now. While I was assembling the smoker, i saw the wood chip tray...
If you ever wanted to make sausage and jerky this is the book that will get you started. Easy step-by-step instructions show you how to bone out a deer for sausage and jerky. Also includes both...
I know it's bad form to be underwhelmed by this book, but am I the only one who actually read it? There are duplicated parts, there is no discernible order to it, and it is mostly aimed at people...
I received this smoker as a gift - it's the 30" model. I read in the forums here about some mods to improve functionality and I did them: installed a base and casters, added some insulation around...
I received the 38' Smoky Hollow with the glass door at Christmas, and have done about 5 smokes so far. The unit is roomy enough to do a 12+ lb. brisket and much more. After two smokes, I ordered a...
Chicken drum sticks???post #1 of 158/9/10 at 11:16amThread Starter
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 158/9/10 at 11:25am
Josh, i have done drummies a few times... the kids love 'em. Normally i put my rub on a few hours ahead of time and then throw them on the smoker. Don't need to get up to 275, should be done in 1.5 - 2 hours at 225. I normally use either apple wood chips or chunks of cherry (cutting down a tree in my back yard one slice at a time :)). Last time i made them i bought 40 for about $10, hard to beat. With about 30 minutes left in the smoke I put some wing sauce on 1/3 of them, bbq sauce on 1/3, and left the other 1/3 Au Natual. Turned out great for being easy, cheap, and a little variety.post #3 of 158/9/10 at 11:27ampost #4 of 158/9/10 at 12:07pmThread Starter
I don't like to brine. Only done it 1 time and the bird was salty. My wife liked it but she likes salt. I don't. They are in the smokey now. Put honey BBQ on some for the kids and wife. Going to make hot legs for my 10 year old we have no wings. He loves hot wings.post #5 of 158/9/10 at 3:49pm
i never brine just rub with whatever & i like to add bbbacon to mine. smokeem in your fav flavor I like hickory or plum on mine.
Sorry I tried to post some pics on here but I can still not get it?post #6 of 158/9/10 at 6:48pm
Now you can try Tip's brine if you want it's low in salt. If not I would just smoke them at 275* and that should get your skin nice and crispty too. I smoke my birds at 275-300* and they come out really good and super juicey too.post #7 of 158/9/10 at 6:56pm
Yeah, you should give brining another shot -- it makes a huge difference IMHO. For legs with skin on only leave them in the brine for 1 - 1.5 hours.
I'm guessing that you've eaten them by now, but I'm hoping that you took some pics for us...post #8 of 158/9/10 at 7:01pm
I'm with mythmaster... I have started brining all my birds and their parts.. it is juicier.. in my smoker...
if too salty .. use less time in brine or less salt in solution or both.... good luck..post #9 of 158/10/10 at 9:25am
I too brine all poultry. Did cut a lil of the salt in tips brine last time (by 1/3).
Great moistness and flavor.
My mes will only get up around 260,So i smoke and then run poultry under the broiler to crisp up the skin. We love a smoked chicken salad.post #10 of 157/31/14 at 11:31am
I am new to the forum, but I've been using grill all my life and discovered smoker 15 years ago. I brine in the fridge overnight (just salt and water).
Sprinkle with rub. I normally use Famous Dave's rub. Smoke at 250 for 3 hours. I like hickory's strong aroma (apple would obviously work well).
I also use black currant for smoking- awesome flavor. I have few shrubs in may backyard and just cut few branches when necessary.post #11 of 157/31/14 at 11:46ampost #12 of 157/31/14 at 11:53amQuote:
Did you wash the brine off and dry with paper towels? If not that is why. A proper brine will not add salt to the meat.post #13 of 157/31/14 at 11:55ampost #14 of 157/31/14 at 11:56amQuote:
Not sure you will get a response to this bud....JoshS's last post in this forum was in 2011! LOLpost #15 of 157/31/14 at 7:20pm
- Chicken drum sticks???
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Jamacian Jerked Wings
- › Smoked Kielbasa 7 minutes ago
- › Brisket question 10 minutes ago
- › Lobster Tail,Bacon wrapped Asparagus 15 minutes ago
- › Scarbelly Wings and Whole Chicken - First Run on Big Easy Oil-less... 22 minutes ago
- › Paging all sausage gurus!! 53 minutes ago
- › PID Question 2 hours, 21 minutes ago
- › The Awarding Of Points. 2 hours, 26 minutes ago
- › Has Anyone Fooled the MES Temp Sensor Before? 3 hours, 39 minutes ago
- › First Pork Butt on 14.5" WSM 4 hours, 7 minutes ago
- › Pulled pork hash? Actually, leftovers for just me! 4 hours, 29 minutes ago
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas by scubohuntr
- › Masterbuilt Two Door Propane Smoker by JASinIL2006
- › Outdoor Leisure Products Smoke Hollow 38202G by csparrazza
- › Masterbuilt 30" 20070312 with Window by mikeg1218
- › Blaz'n Grill Works "Gridiron" by fivebadgers
- › GMG by Kirby27
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by racecar1439
- › Maverick ET-732 Remote Check Wireless Thermometer With 2 Probes by MyOwnIdaho
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations
- › Wild Hawg Rub
- › Follw-up to Smoke House Problems
- › Fine Points of Curing Brine