I have some drum sticks with skin on. How would you smoke them? My smoker only goes to 275. Whith wood? any seasoning? let me know what you would do never done drum sticks. Just started smoker going to put them in when temp gets up. Thanks.
Related Forum Threads
- SoCal rookie Vert smoker Last post on 10/26/13 at 8:54am in For New Members
- Chicken, my new favorite method Last post on 5/31/14 at 7:23pm in Poultry
- A little evening Spatch ....Do you approve? Last post on 9/29/13 at 9:00am in Poultry
- First whole chicken is smokin' Last post on 10/4/13 at 11:44am in Grilling Chicken
- First real try at smoked chicken Last post on 9/17/13 at 10:40am in Poultry
Smoked/Dutch Oven Southwestern Chicken & Rice
Last edited: 12/26/11
- Jamacian Jerked WingsLast edited: 4/27/11
- Cutting Up A Whole ChickenLast edited: 4/28/11
- Brining PoultryLast edited: 10/30/12
- How To Smoke Chicken Competition StyleLast edited: 5/25/10
only thing to say it is easy to use and easy to clean up
I bought model 20070612. Plate on door indicates it is the PRO model. No clue why it is different than any other MES 30" analog. Purchased from local Home Depot. I've used it a lot, for...
I got this smoker to get started smoking on the cheap. To be honest you really need to do two things to this smoker (at a minimum) to make it a decent smoker. 1. get a grate for the charcoal...
Quote: http://www.oureviews.com/weber-15501001-performer-deluxe-charcoal-grill/ Weber Performer Deluxe Charcoal Grill is the best of its kind that were introduced to the market. It is famous all...
Chicken drum sticks???post #1 of 158/9/10 at 11:16amThread Starter
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 158/9/10 at 11:25am
Josh, i have done drummies a few times... the kids love 'em. Normally i put my rub on a few hours ahead of time and then throw them on the smoker. Don't need to get up to 275, should be done in 1.5 - 2 hours at 225. I normally use either apple wood chips or chunks of cherry (cutting down a tree in my back yard one slice at a time :)). Last time i made them i bought 40 for about $10, hard to beat. With about 30 minutes left in the smoke I put some wing sauce on 1/3 of them, bbq sauce on 1/3, and left the other 1/3 Au Natual. Turned out great for being easy, cheap, and a little variety.post #3 of 158/9/10 at 11:27ampost #4 of 158/9/10 at 12:07pmThread Starter
I don't like to brine. Only done it 1 time and the bird was salty. My wife liked it but she likes salt. I don't. They are in the smokey now. Put honey BBQ on some for the kids and wife. Going to make hot legs for my 10 year old we have no wings. He loves hot wings.post #5 of 158/9/10 at 3:49pm
i never brine just rub with whatever & i like to add bbbacon to mine. smokeem in your fav flavor I like hickory or plum on mine.
Sorry I tried to post some pics on here but I can still not get it?post #6 of 158/9/10 at 6:48pm
Now you can try Tip's brine if you want it's low in salt. If not I would just smoke them at 275* and that should get your skin nice and crispty too. I smoke my birds at 275-300* and they come out really good and super juicey too.post #7 of 158/9/10 at 6:56pm
Yeah, you should give brining another shot -- it makes a huge difference IMHO. For legs with skin on only leave them in the brine for 1 - 1.5 hours.
I'm guessing that you've eaten them by now, but I'm hoping that you took some pics for us...post #8 of 158/9/10 at 7:01pm
I'm with mythmaster... I have started brining all my birds and their parts.. it is juicier.. in my smoker...
if too salty .. use less time in brine or less salt in solution or both.... good luck..post #9 of 158/10/10 at 9:25am
I too brine all poultry. Did cut a lil of the salt in tips brine last time (by 1/3).
Great moistness and flavor.
My mes will only get up around 260,So i smoke and then run poultry under the broiler to crisp up the skin. We love a smoked chicken salad.post #10 of 157/31/14 at 11:31am
I am new to the forum, but I've been using grill all my life and discovered smoker 15 years ago. I brine in the fridge overnight (just salt and water).
Sprinkle with rub. I normally use Famous Dave's rub. Smoke at 250 for 3 hours. I like hickory's strong aroma (apple would obviously work well).
I also use black currant for smoking- awesome flavor. I have few shrubs in may backyard and just cut few branches when necessary.post #11 of 157/31/14 at 11:46ampost #12 of 157/31/14 at 11:53amQuote:
Did you wash the brine off and dry with paper towels? If not that is why. A proper brine will not add salt to the meat.post #13 of 157/31/14 at 11:55ampost #14 of 157/31/14 at 11:56amQuote:
Not sure you will get a response to this bud....JoshS's last post in this forum was in 2011! LOLpost #15 of 157/31/14 at 7:20pm
- Chicken drum sticks???
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Jamacian Jerked Wings
- › Brisket flats and pork butts 1 minute ago
- › Get out the bibs, Boys and Girls! Post your favorite Mini-WSM... 6 minutes ago
- › Chicken rub recipe? 12 minutes ago
- › BBQ with Franklin on PBS 32 minutes ago
- › 2015 Independence Day Smokeout - 10lb brisket (point and flat) 48 minutes ago
- › Newbie, and a Question...First Brisket Smoking 51 minutes ago
- › Mojo pork shoulder 53 minutes ago
- › 7am massacre 57 minutes ago
- › Preparing for an all night smoke 59 minutes ago
- › Smoked onion 1 hour, 8 minutes ago
- › Master Forge Charcoal Smoker by pnkn
- › Masterbuilt 30-Inch Smokehouse Smoker by Jeremiah123
- › Masterbuilt Electric Analog 30" by Round Rock Dave
- › Brinkmann 810-5301-C Smoke-N-Grill Charcoal Smoker and Grill by SnowAviation
- › Weber 1421001 Performer Charcoal Grill, Black by Yoni Malka
- › The A-Maze-N-Pellet TUBE SMOKER (AMNPTS) by tjmitche
- › Cowboy Hardwood Lump Charcoal (23288) by ammaturesmoker
- › Char-Griller Smokin' Pro Charcoal Grill by millerbuilds
- › New Star 42306 Commercial Grade French Fry Cutter with Suction... by Damon555
- › Masterbuilt M7P 7-in-1 Smoker and Grill with Pan and Basket Set by grandmastershek
- › Wrong temperatures in Bradley smokers
- › max and cheese
- › Fireman's Chicken - Variation of Cornell...
- › New Nomenclature - Beef
- › New Nomenclature - Pork
- › Smoke Ring Formation
- › Meats Touching Meats in Curing Brine
- › Reverse Flow Smoker... How to calculate...
- › Pop's Brine Concerned with Cure Only
- › The Difference Between Kosher, Table and Sea...