I have some drum sticks with skin on. How would you smoke them? My smoker only goes to 275. Whith wood? any seasoning? let me know what you would do never done drum sticks. Just started smoker going to put them in when temp gets up. Thanks.
Related Forum Threads
- SoCal rookie Vert smoker Last post on 10/26/13 at 8:54am in For New Members
- Chicken, my new favorite method Last post on 5/31/14 at 7:23pm in Poultry
- A little evening Spatch ....Do you approve? Last post on 9/29/13 at 9:00am in Poultry
- First whole chicken is smokin' Last post on 10/4/13 at 11:44am in Grilling Chicken
- First real try at smoked chicken Last post on 9/17/13 at 10:40am in Poultry
Smoked/Dutch Oven Southwestern Chicken & Rice
Last edited: 12/26/11
- Jamacian Jerked WingsLast edited: 4/27/11
- Cutting Up A Whole ChickenLast edited: 4/28/11
- Brining PoultryLast edited: 10/30/12
- How To Smoke Chicken Competition StyleLast edited: 5/25/10
Received this for Christmas and could not be happier. My smoking area at my house is about 100 ft feet away and was worried that it would be to far. Luckily the range as specified in the manual is...
This sauce is amazingly delicious. It has a subtle sweetness up front and then a nice manageable after-burn. Right out of the bottle for dipping tastes a lot like spicy blueberry pie, but once...
I have had it for almost 6 months now, I cannot complain about anything. I am new to smokers/smoking meat and this unit has made it fun and easy for me to learn. I am experimenting with different...
bought this grill two days ago at menards. 499.00 great build quality for the rice. the treager that is the same size is 800.00. I haven't used itt yet but it looks to be a great product. search...
This book was a fantastic way to learn about smoking. As someone being new to the game, I learned much about the process of smoking. This book not only provides excellent, tasty (I can atest)...
Chicken drum sticks???post #1 of 158/9/10 at 11:16amThread Starter
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 158/9/10 at 11:25am
Josh, i have done drummies a few times... the kids love 'em. Normally i put my rub on a few hours ahead of time and then throw them on the smoker. Don't need to get up to 275, should be done in 1.5 - 2 hours at 225. I normally use either apple wood chips or chunks of cherry (cutting down a tree in my back yard one slice at a time :)). Last time i made them i bought 40 for about $10, hard to beat. With about 30 minutes left in the smoke I put some wing sauce on 1/3 of them, bbq sauce on 1/3, and left the other 1/3 Au Natual. Turned out great for being easy, cheap, and a little variety.post #3 of 158/9/10 at 11:27ampost #4 of 158/9/10 at 12:07pmThread Starter
I don't like to brine. Only done it 1 time and the bird was salty. My wife liked it but she likes salt. I don't. They are in the smokey now. Put honey BBQ on some for the kids and wife. Going to make hot legs for my 10 year old we have no wings. He loves hot wings.post #5 of 158/9/10 at 3:49pm
i never brine just rub with whatever & i like to add bbbacon to mine. smokeem in your fav flavor I like hickory or plum on mine.
Sorry I tried to post some pics on here but I can still not get it?post #6 of 158/9/10 at 6:48pm
Now you can try Tip's brine if you want it's low in salt. If not I would just smoke them at 275* and that should get your skin nice and crispty too. I smoke my birds at 275-300* and they come out really good and super juicey too.post #7 of 158/9/10 at 6:56pm
Yeah, you should give brining another shot -- it makes a huge difference IMHO. For legs with skin on only leave them in the brine for 1 - 1.5 hours.
I'm guessing that you've eaten them by now, but I'm hoping that you took some pics for us...post #8 of 158/9/10 at 7:01pm
I'm with mythmaster... I have started brining all my birds and their parts.. it is juicier.. in my smoker...
if too salty .. use less time in brine or less salt in solution or both.... good luck..post #9 of 158/10/10 at 9:25am
I too brine all poultry. Did cut a lil of the salt in tips brine last time (by 1/3).
Great moistness and flavor.
My mes will only get up around 260,So i smoke and then run poultry under the broiler to crisp up the skin. We love a smoked chicken salad.post #10 of 157/31/14 at 11:31am
I am new to the forum, but I've been using grill all my life and discovered smoker 15 years ago. I brine in the fridge overnight (just salt and water).
Sprinkle with rub. I normally use Famous Dave's rub. Smoke at 250 for 3 hours. I like hickory's strong aroma (apple would obviously work well).
I also use black currant for smoking- awesome flavor. I have few shrubs in may backyard and just cut few branches when necessary.post #11 of 157/31/14 at 11:46ampost #12 of 157/31/14 at 11:53amQuote:
Did you wash the brine off and dry with paper towels? If not that is why. A proper brine will not add salt to the meat.post #13 of 157/31/14 at 11:55ampost #14 of 157/31/14 at 11:56amQuote:
Not sure you will get a response to this bud....JoshS's last post in this forum was in 2011! LOLpost #15 of 157/31/14 at 7:20pm
- Chicken drum sticks???
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Jamacian Jerked Wings
- › spice grinder 2 minutes ago
- › Caution - Naked Pork Photos Attached! 2 minutes ago
- › Carpenter Bee Traps (UPGRADED) 5 minutes ago
- › Vacuum Sealer Recommendations 11 minutes ago
- › MES BlueTooth app 12 minutes ago
- › What Pot Fits Best Now Days? 14 minutes ago
- › 40 Tomato plants planted 14 minutes ago
- › sfprankster's (mis)adventure with Crispy Skin Thighs 15 minutes ago
- › MES 40 Bluetooth Raising Temps 18 minutes ago
- › Smoked Salmon Bones 19 minutes ago
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by antrocks22
- › 12 Bones Smokehouse (Asheville NC) Blueberry-chipotle sauce by arodier
- › Masterbuilt 20078715 Electric Digital Smoker Front Controller,... by Suzukiparts1
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by loucarisma
- › Smoking Meat: The Essential Guide to Real Barbecue by AnglerXL
- › Primo Oval XL Ceramic Grill by pkimer
- › Masterbuilt 40" Electric Smokehouse (2nd Gen.) 20070512 by Gifted tulip
- › Char-Griller Duo Gas/Charcoal Grill by smelt240
- › Char-Griller Competition Pro 8125 by KeithA
- › Tappecue 4 Probe Remote BBQ Thermometer with Mobile Apps by billthedoc