Just bought a new 40" MES and was wondering how accurate the meat probe is inside it? I see every using a seperate unit like the maverick or taylor units. Just wondering if its worth using or not. Maybe I'll find out when I get my Maverick unit. Thanks!!
- categoryElectric Smokerstagged by System, 11/13/10
- brandMasterbuilttagged by System, 11/13/10
- brandMavericktagged by System, 11/13/10
- productMaverick ET-7 Remote-Check Wireless Thermometer With 2 Probestagged by System, 11/13/10
- categorySmokerstagged by System, 11/13/10
- categoryThermometertagged by System, 11/13/10
- categoryThermometerstagged by System, 11/13/10
Related Forum Threads
- Need some MES advice Last post on 12/3/09 at 2:31pm in Electric Smokers
- New MES owner, preparing for the 1st smoke Last post on 6/14/10 at 10:53am in Electric Smokers
- New Mes Owner Needs Advice Last post on 5/17/10 at 3:53pm in Electric Smokers
- M.E.S. 30" Temp Issue Last post on 4/30/10 at 5:02pm in Electric Smokers
- MES with full load of butts Last post on 2/2/10 at 4:58pm in Pork
Have owned this smoker for 2 weeks now. Smoked on it 5 times and every time everything on it turned out great. I have had experience smoking on some like it. So no learning curve at all for it....
This is actually a review for Traegers customer service. I don't own a Traeger, but I borrowed and damaged one. I have a Yoder 640. I had loaded 70lbs of pork into it, and went to bed. In the...
This is a good smoker for the beginner who does not want to get to involved with staying up all night monitoring temp/coals. Just fill the hopper and set the temp, when it is warmed up toss in your...
Overall I am very pleased with my Smoke Hollow smoker. IT is a great unit for me, I bought at Sams for less than 400 after taxes. The entire unit itself comes in at over 76 inches in total length...
I've only had the Masterbuilt dual-fuel propane for a month now but have used it 10 times for everything from salmon to pulled pork. I had been thinking about getting a real smoker for a while now...
How accurate is the built in MES meat probe?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I tested mine with a Taylor insta-read digital and the MES with a pot of hot water. It was with-in 1 degree. Later I tested the meatand the MES was about 8 degrees lower. However, I did do it real fast so I could close the door.
I'm going to get the Maverick ET-7 because I want to be able track more than 1 meat at a time. I will test the MES probe while I'm at it.
My MES30 (4yr old) did not even come with a meat probe -- only the temp guage for the inside of the box. I use a meat probe such as has been pictured here and just set the read out box on top of the MES box, run the wire in through the door seal.
My misunderstanding. Sadly, mine is also an older model and does not have the "meat probe" I've seen on newer models. I would still rely on my trusty Maverick ET-73.
I compared my ET-7 to the MES Temp probe; below 100°F it was within 4°F, 100°F to 130°F it was within 1°F and above 130° it ws dead on.
To bad the remote quit registering after 4 hours of use. I hope I get my ET-7 fixed real quick.
Using mine for the first time along with my polder. The MES probe is 20 degrees higher than the polder. I've used the polder several times and trust it. I'll do the water test after all is said and done.
I just got the new MES 40, and I put my Maverick ET 73 meat probe about an inch away from the MES meat probe, when I seasoned it. They were neck & neck all the way up to over 300˚, and neck & neck all the way back down. I will still check them every now and then anyway.
I was trying to find out what model numbers came with the meat probe and which ones didn't. So I can update the model number list to show this option.
Dale I know you have model #20070106
Mama's Smoke you said your MES dose not have the meat probe do you have you model number?
By the way here is a picture of what the meat probe looks like stored in its holder on the left lower side of the MES 40''
After posting this awhile back I also did the boiling water test. the MES probe was within 1 degree of my ET-7 probes. When there in the smoker they are within a couple degrees of one another.
Just because the Maverick ET73 has a good reputation, doesnt mean they are all very accurate. Mine is about 20 degrees off of accurate at 212 and doesnt hold a signal from about 25' away worth a squat. Just be wary and be sure the check the accuracy.
How long do you have it?
I would call them--Their Customer Service is Awesome!
Did you try switching probes (R to L & L to R) to see if it is the probe/cable, or if it is the ET 73 itself?
They would probably send you a new probe.
If that didn't work, maybe a new Maverick.
Bear...doesnt matter which slot it is put into or which probe i am using...just havent had time to call them. it is only about 2 months old. the bad signal part has to be with the receiver or transmitter.
So both sides (probes) are 20˚ off.
OK, I'm betting they take good care of you when you call.
That 25' shouldn't be either, unless there is a lot of steel or such between you & it.
Three Great customer services:
Todd --- A-MAZE-N-SMOKER
Darryl --- Masterbuilt
Maverick --- So far, I guess anybody that answers.
- How accurate is the built in MES meat probe?
- › my first brisket 7 seconds ago
- › Best pellet smoker for newbie 1 minute ago
- › Meat, Cats, and Guns oh my. 2 minutes ago
- › Newbie, looking forward to the world of smoking 3 minutes ago
- › First go at bacon (hot smoked) 5 minutes ago
- › New comer 5 minutes ago
- › Question about using Morton Tender Quick 8 minutes ago
- › Brisket time! 8 minutes ago
- › Today's double smoked ham. 10 minutes ago
- › Test 12 minutes ago
- › Smokin-it model 3 by smokin-pete
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by montanashawn
- › Camp Chef Camp Chef Pellet Grill & Smoker Deluxe by CHRISTOPH
- › Outdoor Leisure Products (OLP) Smoke Hollow 47180T 4-in-1 by PhillipLeondria
- › Masterbuilt Dual-fuel Pro by StillAqua
- › Smoke Hollow 44241G2 44-Inch Vertical LP Gas Smoker by kentluman
- › Weber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22.5-Inch Smoker by jjcreole
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by tjdcorona
- › Weber 711001 Smokey Mountain Cooker Smoker, 14.5-Inch by Cornman
- › Weston Pro Series #22 Food Grinder 1HP by TripleQ