Just bought a new 40" MES and was wondering how accurate the meat probe is inside it? I see every using a seperate unit like the maverick or taylor units. Just wondering if its worth using or not. Maybe I'll find out when I get my Maverick unit. Thanks!!
- categoryElectric Smokerstagged by System, 11/13/10
- brandMasterbuilttagged by System, 11/13/10
- brandMavericktagged by System, 11/13/10
- productMaverick ET-7 Remote-Check Wireless Thermometer With 2 Probestagged by System, 11/13/10
- categorySmokerstagged by System, 11/13/10
- categoryThermometertagged by System, 11/13/10
- categoryThermometerstagged by System, 11/13/10
Related Forum Threads
- Need some MES advice Last post on 12/3/09 at 2:31pm in Electric Smokers
- New MES owner, preparing for the 1st smoke Last post on 6/14/10 at 10:53am in Electric Smokers
- New Mes Owner Needs Advice Last post on 5/17/10 at 3:53pm in Electric Smokers
- M.E.S. 30" Temp Issue Last post on 4/30/10 at 5:02pm in Electric Smokers
- MES with full load of butts Last post on 2/2/10 at 4:58pm in Pork
I've been very impressed with this smoker.The slow smoker attachment is actually a cold smoking device.Made smoked cheese,scallops and found the flavor to be just right.
Wish I had read this site before purchasing my Traeger grill from Home Depot. Luckily I was within the 90 days for returns. Like other posts - the pellets would not feed into the hopper - I...
I've owned two smokers. This one does a GREAT JOB for a lower end priced electric smoker. I've created some amazing smoked food in this smoker. I would recommend getting this smoker if you want to...
I've had my SH smoker for about 2.5 years... took a while to get the draft set exactly where I wanted it, but once that was right it's been a dream to use. Under most conditions, and for most of...
How accurate is the built in MES meat probe?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I tested mine with a Taylor insta-read digital and the MES with a pot of hot water. It was with-in 1 degree. Later I tested the meatand the MES was about 8 degrees lower. However, I did do it real fast so I could close the door.
I'm going to get the Maverick ET-7 because I want to be able track more than 1 meat at a time. I will test the MES probe while I'm at it.
My MES30 (4yr old) did not even come with a meat probe -- only the temp guage for the inside of the box. I use a meat probe such as has been pictured here and just set the read out box on top of the MES box, run the wire in through the door seal.
My misunderstanding. Sadly, mine is also an older model and does not have the "meat probe" I've seen on newer models. I would still rely on my trusty Maverick ET-73.
I compared my ET-7 to the MES Temp probe; below 100°F it was within 4°F, 100°F to 130°F it was within 1°F and above 130° it ws dead on.
To bad the remote quit registering after 4 hours of use. I hope I get my ET-7 fixed real quick.
Using mine for the first time along with my polder. The MES probe is 20 degrees higher than the polder. I've used the polder several times and trust it. I'll do the water test after all is said and done.
I just got the new MES 40, and I put my Maverick ET 73 meat probe about an inch away from the MES meat probe, when I seasoned it. They were neck & neck all the way up to over 300˚, and neck & neck all the way back down. I will still check them every now and then anyway.
I was trying to find out what model numbers came with the meat probe and which ones didn't. So I can update the model number list to show this option.
Dale I know you have model #20070106
Mama's Smoke you said your MES dose not have the meat probe do you have you model number?
By the way here is a picture of what the meat probe looks like stored in its holder on the left lower side of the MES 40''
After posting this awhile back I also did the boiling water test. the MES probe was within 1 degree of my ET-7 probes. When there in the smoker they are within a couple degrees of one another.
Just because the Maverick ET73 has a good reputation, doesnt mean they are all very accurate. Mine is about 20 degrees off of accurate at 212 and doesnt hold a signal from about 25' away worth a squat. Just be wary and be sure the check the accuracy.
How long do you have it?
I would call them--Their Customer Service is Awesome!
Did you try switching probes (R to L & L to R) to see if it is the probe/cable, or if it is the ET 73 itself?
They would probably send you a new probe.
If that didn't work, maybe a new Maverick.
Bear...doesnt matter which slot it is put into or which probe i am using...just havent had time to call them. it is only about 2 months old. the bad signal part has to be with the receiver or transmitter.
So both sides (probes) are 20˚ off.
OK, I'm betting they take good care of you when you call.
That 25' shouldn't be either, unless there is a lot of steel or such between you & it.
Three Great customer services:
Todd --- A-MAZE-N-SMOKER
Darryl --- Masterbuilt
Maverick --- So far, I guess anybody that answers.
- How accurate is the built in MES meat probe?
- › Need help identifying this smoker 49 seconds ago
- › Old Country BBQ Pits Over and Under Smoker 1 minute ago
- › Is a 2nd generation used MES 40" worth $100? 2 minutes ago
- › UMAi Curing Experience 4 minutes ago
- › How much and what else? 7 minutes ago
- › Very Particular Pulled Pork Not Pulling Question 8 minutes ago
- › Baked potatoes for 100 12 minutes ago
- › IS THIS ROOM STILL ACTIVE 16 minutes ago
- › Get together in Pa **** date has been set. Oct 6-8 ****** 17 minutes ago
- › not much smoke MES 30 18 minutes ago
- › Masterbuilt 30" 20070312 with Window by ronaldjallen1
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by albell
- › Masterbuilt Model 20070210 30" Electric Smokehouse by SmokeScience
- › Char-Griller Competition Pro 8125 by Crankbolt
- › Outdoor Leisure 34168G Smoke Hollow Propane-Gas Smoker by raider2119
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by Jeff Houser
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by Smokingmax
- › Weber Summit S-670 by Grillin Joey
- › Old Country Brasos by SomeTexasSmoker
- › Traeger TFB29LZA Junior Elite Grill by PaulJ
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ