Can anyone help me with smoking a prime rib, been smoking for about 2 years and never tried to smoke one?
- topicBeef Steaktagged by System, 7/14/10
Related Forum Threads
- Tatonka Dust Rib Steak w/smoked butter Last post on 12/25/13 at 10:58pm in Grilling Beef
- Bison Steak & Barolo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Last post on 12/14/13 at 2:06pm in Wild Game
- Reverse seared tri tip Q-view! Last post on 10/27/13 at 2:20pm in Beef
- Cast Iron Seared Ribeye with Parm crusted Zuch(s) Last post on 10/26/13 at 5:09pm in Grilling Beef
Cherry & Balsamic Marinated Ribeyes
Last edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
I've had my Daniel Boone for 3 years or so. Smoked countless briskets, pork butts, turkey, tri tip, prime ribs, summer sausage, pepperoni, brats, jerky, fish....the list goes on and on. Always has...
I have A 5x8 Smoke Box, And A Twelve inch Smoke Tube. Stop By A-maze-n Store Today To Pick Up Thermometer. And Todd Took Care Of Me, He is Excellent to work with, even sent me home with some free...
I bought this unit because I was tired of the cheap thermometers at the store. Little did I realize what an improvement this was going to be. The oven probe showed that my smoker was 23 degrees...
Ive ground and mixed 60 + pounds of meat so far in 20-25 lbs batches. 1st, it does a much better job than I did manually with out over working the meat. I need to work on my setup a bit to make the...
So I purchased a GMG Jim Bowie prior to owning my Blaz'n Grill GridIron. I had problems from the start and eventually sold it after owning it for a little over 3 months. I paid more than double for...
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And Process
prime rib roast
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
See if this helps you: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/95604/prime-rib
BTW, Welcome to the forum. What are you smoking on? Where are you from? I hope you enjoy your stay here.
Now I would smoke your prime rib at about 230*-250* till it get to about 125*-130*. Then I would take it out and let it rest in a dry cooler for at least an hour. Then pull it out and slice it into steaks that are nice and thick. I like my meat more on the rare side so if you want it more medium then take it to a little higher on the temps then. The wood that I like is apple with my beef but there are alot of folks that use hickory or mesquite wood.
You will have friends and family begging for more; trust me !!!
This is a very easy way to get delicious smoked prime rib, trust me.
I didn't follow the above links nor have I smoked a PR yet, but I've read from many posts here that Cherry wood works great with PR.
Good luck, and I'm looking forward to seeing some Q-view!
Welcome aboard, SmokingEagle - a prime is one heck of a way to get our attention, and a great introduction.
I too will be smoking a large prime for the first time at the end of this month. Although the temps are great.. they don't really help with gauging the time do they.?!
My notes from others on this forum for preparing for my smoke are as follows:
6lb prime at 225 for a 135(rare) roast ~ 5 hours.
8lb prime at 250 for a 145(med-rare) roast ~ 7-8 hours.
I'm going to kick mine up to 275 and shoot for around a 5-6 hour smoke time, using hickory, for a 10 pounder. I'm thinking that the ends will be on the well done side, and the middle exactly the way I like it.
Good luck to ya, make sure and post pictures!
What's nice about prime rib, is that it's hard to screw up. There's enough fat that it's very forgiving. I've Smoked it, BBQ'd it, Deep fried it, Rottiserried it. They're all good. Heck, I even ran one to well done in the oven, and it was still tender & tasty.
- prime rib roast
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › New member 3 minutes ago
- › The new guy 10 minutes ago
- › Finishing sausage in water 12 minutes ago
- › Hello All 15 minutes ago
- › Chicken Sausage Weekend: Chicken Pepperoni, Chicken Cheese and... 15 minutes ago
- › Brisket did NOT plateau 15 minutes ago
- › Red's Easy Hot Wings...with Qview! 19 minutes ago
- › Black Pepper mill died! 21 minutes ago
- › New smoker 31 minutes ago
- › Hello 32 minutes ago
- › GMG by Kirby27
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by racecar1439
- › Maverick ET-732 Remote Check Wireless Thermometer With 2 Probes by MyOwnIdaho
- › 7-Gal. Mixer Attachment with Tilt by TripleQ
- › Blaz'n Grill Works "Gridiron" by FBI Van Outside
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by miked945
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by Vajinyan
- › Slow 'N Sear by ammaturesmoker
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by Dabnet795
- › Char Broil Offset Smoker American Gourmet Deluxe Grill by Face
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations
- › Wild Hawg Rub
- › Follw-up to Smoke House Problems
- › Fine Points of Curing Brine
- › Seasonings & Marinades
- › Tying a Butcher's Knot