Can anyone help me with smoking a prime rib, been smoking for about 2 years and never tried to smoke one?
- topicBeef Steaktagged by System, 7/14/10
Related Forum Threads
- Tatonka Dust Rib Steak w/smoked butter Last post on 12/25/13 at 10:58pm in Grilling Beef
- Bison Steak & Barolo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Last post on 12/14/13 at 2:06pm in Wild Game
- Reverse seared tri tip Q-view! Last post on 10/27/13 at 2:20pm in Beef
- Cast Iron Seared Ribeye with Parm crusted Zuch(s) Last post on 10/26/13 at 5:09pm in Grilling Beef
Cherry & Balsamic Marinated Ribeyes
Last edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
Have owned this smoker for 2 weeks now. Smoked on it 5 times and every time everything on it turned out great. I have had experience smoking on some like it. So no learning curve at all for it....
This is actually a review for Traegers customer service. I don't own a Traeger, but I borrowed and damaged one. I have a Yoder 640. I had loaded 70lbs of pork into it, and went to bed. In the...
This is a good smoker for the beginner who does not want to get to involved with staying up all night monitoring temp/coals. Just fill the hopper and set the temp, when it is warmed up toss in your...
Overall I am very pleased with my Smoke Hollow smoker. IT is a great unit for me, I bought at Sams for less than 400 after taxes. The entire unit itself comes in at over 76 inches in total length...
I've only had the Masterbuilt dual-fuel propane for a month now but have used it 10 times for everything from salmon to pulled pork. I had been thinking about getting a real smoker for a while now...
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And Process
prime rib roast
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
See if this helps you: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/95604/prime-rib
BTW, Welcome to the forum. What are you smoking on? Where are you from? I hope you enjoy your stay here.
Now I would smoke your prime rib at about 230*-250* till it get to about 125*-130*. Then I would take it out and let it rest in a dry cooler for at least an hour. Then pull it out and slice it into steaks that are nice and thick. I like my meat more on the rare side so if you want it more medium then take it to a little higher on the temps then. The wood that I like is apple with my beef but there are alot of folks that use hickory or mesquite wood.
You will have friends and family begging for more; trust me !!!
This is a very easy way to get delicious smoked prime rib, trust me.
I didn't follow the above links nor have I smoked a PR yet, but I've read from many posts here that Cherry wood works great with PR.
Good luck, and I'm looking forward to seeing some Q-view!
Welcome aboard, SmokingEagle - a prime is one heck of a way to get our attention, and a great introduction.
I too will be smoking a large prime for the first time at the end of this month. Although the temps are great.. they don't really help with gauging the time do they.?!
My notes from others on this forum for preparing for my smoke are as follows:
6lb prime at 225 for a 135(rare) roast ~ 5 hours.
8lb prime at 250 for a 145(med-rare) roast ~ 7-8 hours.
I'm going to kick mine up to 275 and shoot for around a 5-6 hour smoke time, using hickory, for a 10 pounder. I'm thinking that the ends will be on the well done side, and the middle exactly the way I like it.
Good luck to ya, make sure and post pictures!
What's nice about prime rib, is that it's hard to screw up. There's enough fat that it's very forgiving. I've Smoked it, BBQ'd it, Deep fried it, Rottiserried it. They're all good. Heck, I even ran one to well done in the oven, and it was still tender & tasty.
- prime rib roast
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › First Thread and First Shoulder 3 minutes ago
- › Cord n blu's. 5 minutes ago
- › Smoking a Turkey Today 5 minutes ago
- › First Build 13 minutes ago
- › Brined? Frenched? Rubbed? Smoked? Glazed? Cheap Pork Roast! 14 minutes ago
- › Trying my smoking wits on St. Louis Spareribs. 20 minutes ago
- › Pork Sammies! 23 minutes ago
- › Rub Time 29 minutes ago
- › Brine or Dry Rub Boston Butt 46 minutes ago
- › BDSkelly ~ Smoked Turkey Breasts on the MES 50 minutes ago
- › Smokin-it model 3 by smokin-pete
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by montanashawn
- › Camp Chef Camp Chef Pellet Grill & Smoker Deluxe by CHRISTOPH
- › Outdoor Leisure Products (OLP) Smoke Hollow 47180T 4-in-1 by PhillipLeondria
- › Masterbuilt Dual-fuel Pro by StillAqua
- › Smoke Hollow 44241G2 44-Inch Vertical LP Gas Smoker by kentluman
- › Weber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22.5-Inch Smoker by jjcreole
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by tjdcorona
- › Weber 711001 Smokey Mountain Cooker Smoker, 14.5-Inch by Cornman
- › Weston Pro Series #22 Food Grinder 1HP by TripleQ