I've done turkeys and breasts on the ECB but this is my first one on the MES. I used an Alton Brown brine recipe I found here (honey, soy sauce, salt, apple juice) and brined it for about 18 hours. Might end up being a little long for a 7lb breast but we'll see. This is the first brine I've ever done so I'm excited to see how it turns out. Had it in the MES for about 3 hours now at 275 and it's already showing 179*. I 'm one of those people that usually overcooks his poultry rather than have any chance of it being underdone. It was extremely juicy when I pulled the probe to check another spot so I think I'll be fine there. I think I'm going to give it another 30 minutes or so and go more by how the outside looks. I didn't take any before pics but I'll take some when I pull it and slice it.
Related Forum Threads
- MES 40 - Troubleshoot cause of temp reading on display higher than actual temps Last post on 7/20/16 at 2:19pm in Electric Smokers
- Anyone had to purchase a replacement door for an MES 30" Son killed mine... Last post on 4/26/14 at 9:44am in Electric Smokers
- A-MAZE-N Smoker -Is a single, double, or quad burn most recommended for hot smoking in MES 40? Last post on 1/29/13 at 2:55pm in Electric Smokers
- A-MAZE-N Dust - Opinion on all around best wood dust in 5lb bag size? Last post on 12/19/11 at 11:45pm in General Discussion
- Anyone use wood pellets in their MES? Last post on 6/12/16 at 8:49pm in Electric Smokers
Have owned this smoker for 2 weeks now. Smoked on it 5 times and every time everything on it turned out great. I have had experience smoking on some like it. So no learning curve at all for it....
This is actually a review for Traegers customer service. I don't own a Traeger, but I borrowed and damaged one. I have a Yoder 640. I had loaded 70lbs of pork into it, and went to bed. In the...
This is a good smoker for the beginner who does not want to get to involved with staying up all night monitoring temp/coals. Just fill the hopper and set the temp, when it is warmed up toss in your...
Overall I am very pleased with my Smoke Hollow smoker. IT is a great unit for me, I bought at Sams for less than 400 after taxes. The entire unit itself comes in at over 76 inches in total length...
I've only had the Masterbuilt dual-fuel propane for a month now but have used it 10 times for everything from salmon to pulled pork. I had been thinking about getting a real smoker for a while now...
First Turkey Breast In The MES
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
Looking forward to the pics. I have a MES, too, and have been wanting to try a turkey. My only concern is that it won't get hot enough to crisp the skin, but I guess that I could stick it under the broiler for a couple of minutes to achieve that.
I will definitely brine mine, and I'm anxious to hear about how yours comes out.
I pulled it at 4 hrs and it was reading around 180 +/- 2*. Some of the outer areas had pretty strong flavor but not too much. I'm pretty happy with the brine time. Juicy everywhere except some of the thinner areas. The skin was still soft so it went to waste. I think I'll move to the oven at 160 or so next time to try and crisp it up some.
I'd say it's the best turkey I've ever smoked. Tough call compared to deep frying.
Forgot to add that it was a Jennie-O frozen, 7.22lbs at $1.42/lb, $10.25. It's just me eating it so getting 4 or 5 meals out of it is a pretty good deal.
And smoked with hickory..
- First Turkey Breast In The MES
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › Love it .... 16 minutes ago
- › Morning, total rookie here in the smoking world. 48 minutes ago
- › Part of brisket was sticking out of cure 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
- › New Member 1 hour, 12 minutes ago
- › Belly bacon, skin on or skin off? 1 hour, 17 minutes ago
- › CHICKEN... Safe Chicken Temperatures, Even if It’s Pink! 1 hour, 29 minutes ago
- › Question's & more following probably, on using cure #1 in sausage. 1 hour, 35 minutes ago
- › Been Here a Few Days... 2 hours, 18 minutes ago
- › New Member 2 hours, 23 minutes ago
- › Chile's Take on Sriracha Pickled Eggs 2 hours, 25 minutes ago
- › Smokin-it model 3 by smokin-pete
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by montanashawn
- › Camp Chef Camp Chef Pellet Grill & Smoker Deluxe by CHRISTOPH
- › Outdoor Leisure Products (OLP) Smoke Hollow 47180T 4-in-1 by PhillipLeondria
- › Masterbuilt Dual-fuel Pro by StillAqua
- › Smoke Hollow 44241G2 44-Inch Vertical LP Gas Smoker by kentluman
- › Weber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22.5-Inch Smoker by jjcreole
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by tjdcorona
- › Weber 711001 Smokey Mountain Cooker Smoker, 14.5-Inch by Cornman
- › Weston Pro Series #22 Food Grinder 1HP by TripleQ