I've done turkeys and breasts on the ECB but this is my first one on the MES. I used an Alton Brown brine recipe I found here (honey, soy sauce, salt, apple juice) and brined it for about 18 hours. Might end up being a little long for a 7lb breast but we'll see. This is the first brine I've ever done so I'm excited to see how it turns out. Had it in the MES for about 3 hours now at 275 and it's already showing 179*. I 'm one of those people that usually overcooks his poultry rather than have any chance of it being underdone. It was extremely juicy when I pulled the probe to check another spot so I think I'll be fine there. I think I'm going to give it another 30 minutes or so and go more by how the outside looks. I didn't take any before pics but I'll take some when I pull it and slice it.
Related Forum Threads
- MES 40 - Troubleshoot cause of temp reading on display higher than actual temps Last post on 11/29/16 at 12:35pm in Electric Smokers
- Anyone had to purchase a replacement door for an MES 30" Son killed mine... Last post on 4/26/14 at 9:44am in Electric Smokers
- A-MAZE-N Smoker -Is a single, double, or quad burn most recommended for hot smoking in MES 40? Last post on 1/29/13 at 2:55pm in Electric Smokers
- A-MAZE-N Dust - Opinion on all around best wood dust in 5lb bag size? Last post on 12/19/11 at 11:45pm in General Discussion
- Anyone use wood pellets in their MES? Last post on 1/21/17 at 1:48pm in Electric Smokers
I really enjoyed this smoker - It is being retired for a Old Country Pecos
The family got this for me for a birthday gift ( I chose it, they paid for it). I did not get the WIFI version. Got it home, assembled it (easy) and fired it up. The temp would not stabilize, it...
Bought my T. JR 5 years ago at a Costco roadshow. It made for an affordable start in the smoking and pellet cooker space. Easy setup, but on burn-in the controller and fan burned out. ...
Loving the extra room on the LUX. (Bought as Cabela's Magnum) Smoked 3 turkeys (at once) for thanksgiving and for SuperBowl did a 14lb brisket and 8 chicken quarters at the same time. I...
This thermometer is very accurate and the distance to the monitor is really good. I have had no problems with the probes as others have stated. BUT......it is a big pain to program!!!! Actually I...
First Turkey Breast In The MES
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
Looking forward to the pics. I have a MES, too, and have been wanting to try a turkey. My only concern is that it won't get hot enough to crisp the skin, but I guess that I could stick it under the broiler for a couple of minutes to achieve that.
I will definitely brine mine, and I'm anxious to hear about how yours comes out.
I pulled it at 4 hrs and it was reading around 180 +/- 2*. Some of the outer areas had pretty strong flavor but not too much. I'm pretty happy with the brine time. Juicy everywhere except some of the thinner areas. The skin was still soft so it went to waste. I think I'll move to the oven at 160 or so next time to try and crisp it up some.
I'd say it's the best turkey I've ever smoked. Tough call compared to deep frying.
Forgot to add that it was a Jennie-O frozen, 7.22lbs at $1.42/lb, $10.25. It's just me eating it so getting 4 or 5 meals out of it is a pretty good deal.
And smoked with hickory..
- First Turkey Breast In The MES
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › "quick smoked?" salmon 10 minutes ago
- › smoked eggs in shell 25 minutes ago
- › Charcuterie overload 31 minutes ago
- › Questions about Firebrick and Mortar 38 minutes ago
- › Can i hang my UMAi in my basement? 44 minutes ago
- › Wood fired pizza oven? 47 minutes ago
- › Sourdough bread 51 minutes ago
- › Question on Kettle grill quality 54 minutes ago
- › I know what I'm doing this weekend... 1 hour, 9 minutes ago
- › St Pattys Day sous vide 1 hour, 15 minutes ago
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas by scubohuntr
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations