I've done turkeys and breasts on the ECB but this is my first one on the MES. I used an Alton Brown brine recipe I found here (honey, soy sauce, salt, apple juice) and brined it for about 18 hours. Might end up being a little long for a 7lb breast but we'll see. This is the first brine I've ever done so I'm excited to see how it turns out. Had it in the MES for about 3 hours now at 275 and it's already showing 179*. I 'm one of those people that usually overcooks his poultry rather than have any chance of it being underdone. It was extremely juicy when I pulled the probe to check another spot so I think I'll be fine there. I think I'm going to give it another 30 minutes or so and go more by how the outside looks. I didn't take any before pics but I'll take some when I pull it and slice it.
Related Forum Threads
- MES 40 - Troubleshoot cause of temp reading on display higher than actual temps Last post on 11/29/16 at 12:35pm in Electric Smokers
- Anyone had to purchase a replacement door for an MES 30" Son killed mine... Last post on 4/26/14 at 9:44am in Electric Smokers
- A-MAZE-N Smoker -Is a single, double, or quad burn most recommended for hot smoking in MES 40? Last post on 1/29/13 at 2:55pm in Electric Smokers
- A-MAZE-N Dust - Opinion on all around best wood dust in 5lb bag size? Last post on 12/19/11 at 11:45pm in General Discussion
- Anyone use wood pellets in their MES? Last post on 7/24/17 at 11:40am in Electric Smokers
5 years ago, I bought the Smoker attachment to use as a Grill for my wife and I. Last year, I purchased the Duo Grill. Attached the Smoker immediately and took 13 months before I tried to Smoke...
This is a great smoker for the price. I bought it from Home Depot online for $149. 2 day shipping. So glad I spent the money. My only negative about this smoker is that I cannot set it above 275....
It's a real shame these smokers are not being made like this anymore. Temp control is easy with a tuning plate. Also maintenance is simple as well just like anoy other smoker.
This device offers the greatest kind of grilling possible. Recently a man from Oklahoma rolled into a major BBQ competition with one of these grills on top of a Weber Kettle and took first place in...
I have had it for years, I fire it up, I cook, I shut the dampers and let it cool. then store it. About every third cooking, I give it a though cleaning. I put on a wagon to make it mobile. If...
First Turkey Breast In The MES
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
Looking forward to the pics. I have a MES, too, and have been wanting to try a turkey. My only concern is that it won't get hot enough to crisp the skin, but I guess that I could stick it under the broiler for a couple of minutes to achieve that.
I will definitely brine mine, and I'm anxious to hear about how yours comes out.
I pulled it at 4 hrs and it was reading around 180 +/- 2*. Some of the outer areas had pretty strong flavor but not too much. I'm pretty happy with the brine time. Juicy everywhere except some of the thinner areas. The skin was still soft so it went to waste. I think I'll move to the oven at 160 or so next time to try and crisp it up some.
I'd say it's the best turkey I've ever smoked. Tough call compared to deep frying.
Forgot to add that it was a Jennie-O frozen, 7.22lbs at $1.42/lb, $10.25. It's just me eating it so getting 4 or 5 meals out of it is a pretty good deal.
And smoked with hickory..
- First Turkey Breast In The MES
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › Smoker Build Blossoms into Massive Outdoor Kitchen Project 1 minute ago
- › August 2017 Throwdown "YardBird" Winners!!!! 8 minutes ago
- › Looking for a Lang 48 variant 9 minutes ago
- › Greetings from Malaysia 12 minutes ago
- › Beef Ribs 14 minutes ago
- › Smoked Chicken Fajitas 14 minutes ago
- › Another Brisket and Rib Story 17 minutes ago
- › QUESTIONS for you MES30/40 users 27 minutes ago
- › wish they had more than 3 bags 34 minutes ago
- › T-minus 11hrs to Dinner! 49 minutes ago
- › Char-Griller Duo Gas/Charcoal Grill by KevinJD
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by GaryW121
- › Brinkmann Cimarron Limited Deluxe Outdoor Charcoal/Wood Smoker... by ammaturesmoker
- › Santa Maria Attachment for Weber Kettles by ammaturesmoker
- › PRIMO OVAL JUNIOR GRILL/SMOKER by GrillingFool
- › REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill - Featuring Smart Grill TechnologyTM by biz302
- › Brinkmann Smoke N Pit Pitmaster Deluxe Charcoal/Wood Smoker and Grill by Skinnyj
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by alteredstates
- › Camp Chef SMV24S 24" Smoke Vault - SMV24S by jond36
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Utah Smoker
- › Ground Beef vs. Ground Turkey - Which Is...
- › Apple Bourbon BBQ Beans
- › Mississippi Haymaker
- › NICE HUGE SMOKER FOR SALE IN TAHLEQUAH ,OK ...
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods