I've done turkeys and breasts on the ECB but this is my first one on the MES. I used an Alton Brown brine recipe I found here (honey, soy sauce, salt, apple juice) and brined it for about 18 hours. Might end up being a little long for a 7lb breast but we'll see. This is the first brine I've ever done so I'm excited to see how it turns out. Had it in the MES for about 3 hours now at 275 and it's already showing 179*. I 'm one of those people that usually overcooks his poultry rather than have any chance of it being underdone. It was extremely juicy when I pulled the probe to check another spot so I think I'll be fine there. I think I'm going to give it another 30 minutes or so and go more by how the outside looks. I didn't take any before pics but I'll take some when I pull it and slice it.
Related Forum Threads
- MES 40 - Troubleshoot cause of temp reading on display higher than actual temps Last post on 11/29/16 at 12:35pm in Electric Smokers
- Anyone had to purchase a replacement door for an MES 30" Son killed mine... Last post on 4/26/14 at 9:44am in Electric Smokers
- A-MAZE-N Smoker -Is a single, double, or quad burn most recommended for hot smoking in MES 40? Last post on 1/29/13 at 2:55pm in Electric Smokers
- A-MAZE-N Dust - Opinion on all around best wood dust in 5lb bag size? Last post on 12/19/11 at 11:45pm in General Discussion
- Anyone use wood pellets in their MES? Last post on 1/21/17 at 1:48pm in Electric Smokers
I've had my Daniel Boone for 3 years or so. Smoked countless briskets, pork butts, turkey, tri tip, prime ribs, summer sausage, pepperoni, brats, jerky, fish....the list goes on and on. Always has...
I have A 5x8 Smoke Box, And A Twelve inch Smoke Tube. Stop By A-maze-n Store Today To Pick Up Thermometer. And Todd Took Care Of Me, He is Excellent to work with, even sent me home with some free...
I bought this unit because I was tired of the cheap thermometers at the store. Little did I realize what an improvement this was going to be. The oven probe showed that my smoker was 23 degrees...
Ive ground and mixed 60 + pounds of meat so far in 20-25 lbs batches. 1st, it does a much better job than I did manually with out over working the meat. I need to work on my setup a bit to make the...
So I purchased a GMG Jim Bowie prior to owning my Blaz'n Grill GridIron. I had problems from the start and eventually sold it after owning it for a little over 3 months. I paid more than double for...
First Turkey Breast In The MES
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
Looking forward to the pics. I have a MES, too, and have been wanting to try a turkey. My only concern is that it won't get hot enough to crisp the skin, but I guess that I could stick it under the broiler for a couple of minutes to achieve that.
I will definitely brine mine, and I'm anxious to hear about how yours comes out.
I pulled it at 4 hrs and it was reading around 180 +/- 2*. Some of the outer areas had pretty strong flavor but not too much. I'm pretty happy with the brine time. Juicy everywhere except some of the thinner areas. The skin was still soft so it went to waste. I think I'll move to the oven at 160 or so next time to try and crisp it up some.
I'd say it's the best turkey I've ever smoked. Tough call compared to deep frying.
Forgot to add that it was a Jennie-O frozen, 7.22lbs at $1.42/lb, $10.25. It's just me eating it so getting 4 or 5 meals out of it is a pretty good deal.
And smoked with hickory..
- First Turkey Breast In The MES
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › Venison snack sticks 2 minutes ago
- › Bierschinken, mortadella, mettwurst, and more 2 minutes ago
- › Red's Easy Hot Wings...with Qview! 3 minutes ago
- › tongue...cured, brined...thoughts? 5 minutes ago
- › Welcome TO SV 8 minutes ago
- › TexMex snack sticks 14 minutes ago
- › Smoking time with a Masterbuilt 30" electric 16 minutes ago
- › Sunday What's On the Traeger 18 minutes ago
- › Sorry But You Have Really Messed Up This Forum !! 20 minutes ago
- › Corn Bread (Bear’s Favorite) 26 minutes ago
- › GMG by Kirby27
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by racecar1439
- › Maverick ET-732 Remote Check Wireless Thermometer With 2 Probes by MyOwnIdaho
- › 7-Gal. Mixer Attachment with Tilt by TripleQ
- › Blaz'n Grill Works "Gridiron" by FBI Van Outside
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by miked945
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by Vajinyan
- › Slow 'N Sear by ammaturesmoker
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by Dabnet795
- › Char Broil Offset Smoker American Gourmet Deluxe Grill by Face
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations
- › Wild Hawg Rub
- › Follw-up to Smoke House Problems
- › Fine Points of Curing Brine
- › Seasonings & Marinades
- › Tying a Butcher's Knot