I've done turkeys and breasts on the ECB but this is my first one on the MES. I used an Alton Brown brine recipe I found here (honey, soy sauce, salt, apple juice) and brined it for about 18 hours. Might end up being a little long for a 7lb breast but we'll see. This is the first brine I've ever done so I'm excited to see how it turns out. Had it in the MES for about 3 hours now at 275 and it's already showing 179*. I 'm one of those people that usually overcooks his poultry rather than have any chance of it being underdone. It was extremely juicy when I pulled the probe to check another spot so I think I'll be fine there. I think I'm going to give it another 30 minutes or so and go more by how the outside looks. I didn't take any before pics but I'll take some when I pull it and slice it.
Related Forum Threads
- MES 40 - Troubleshoot cause of temp reading on display higher than actual temps Last post on 11/29/16 at 12:35pm in Electric Smokers
- Anyone had to purchase a replacement door for an MES 30" Son killed mine... Last post on 4/26/14 at 9:44am in Electric Smokers
- A-MAZE-N Smoker -Is a single, double, or quad burn most recommended for hot smoking in MES 40? Last post on 1/29/13 at 2:55pm in Electric Smokers
- A-MAZE-N Dust - Opinion on all around best wood dust in 5lb bag size? Last post on 12/19/11 at 11:45pm in General Discussion
- Anyone use wood pellets in their MES? Last post on 1/21/17 at 1:48pm in Electric Smokers
This is my first smoker and I've had some great success with it already. It was pretty easy to get some good results even on my first runs. I switched from chips to chunks for the wood and it...
Wanted a decent electric smoker that was almost setup, start and let it do its job with miminal intervention! Is it perfect no but as I live in Scotland weather is a challenge at times so had a...
Simply the best. The Bentley of all grills and it's the only ceramic grill made in the USA. The 400XL will smoke two 20 pound turkeys.
The smoker came packaged very nicely and easy to assemble. The construction of it is pretty solid. I have used it twice so far and both times the smoker itself was good. I did put on a gasket...
I started out on a friends Traegar at work and made the decision to get a pellet smoker, I researched for awhile and was leaning towards the Green Mountain Grill line, I went and checked them out...
First Turkey Breast In The MES
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
Looking forward to the pics. I have a MES, too, and have been wanting to try a turkey. My only concern is that it won't get hot enough to crisp the skin, but I guess that I could stick it under the broiler for a couple of minutes to achieve that.
I will definitely brine mine, and I'm anxious to hear about how yours comes out.
I pulled it at 4 hrs and it was reading around 180 +/- 2*. Some of the outer areas had pretty strong flavor but not too much. I'm pretty happy with the brine time. Juicy everywhere except some of the thinner areas. The skin was still soft so it went to waste. I think I'll move to the oven at 160 or so next time to try and crisp it up some.
I'd say it's the best turkey I've ever smoked. Tough call compared to deep frying.
Forgot to add that it was a Jennie-O frozen, 7.22lbs at $1.42/lb, $10.25. It's just me eating it so getting 4 or 5 meals out of it is a pretty good deal.
And smoked with hickory..
- First Turkey Breast In The MES
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › 100% newb Can I smoke on this? 7 seconds ago
- › Freezer Build 34 seconds ago
- › brisket on the weber 2 minutes ago
- › Pork Loin Question 3 minutes ago
- › Quick Newbie Question about the Crutch 6 minutes ago
- › Yes I still cook! 9 minutes ago
- › Temp sensor??? 9 minutes ago
- › Hi. I'm a newbie. I watched some youtube videos about turning my... 10 minutes ago
- › Michigan Newbie 11 minutes ago
- › My first shot at Beer Can Burgers...My first post in a while 23 minutes ago
- › Grill Pro 31846 Propane Smoker by samwise
- › Bradley BTIS1 Original Fully Automatic 4-Rack Outdoor Food Smoker by ScotTex
- › Primo Oval XL Ceramic Grill by ZombieKitty
- › DGO1176BDC-D Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker by Tragusa113
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by AB Canuck
- › Pit Boss 71700FB Pellet Grill with Flame Broiler, 700 sq. in. by BDawg
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Submariner
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by ednosnaws
- › Big Green Egg Kamado Grill MiniMax Portable Outdoor Smoker barbeque... by jshillin
- › Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill 596 Sq. In. Cooking... by THood
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...