Royal Oak Lump for everything.
Related Forum Threads
- First time using a Charcoal Smoker, couldn't get the temp. past 150 Last post on 11/3/10 at 8:18pm in Charcoal Smokers
- Briquettes vs. Lump Last post on 9/30/10 at 7:51am in Charcoal Smokers
- Home Depot Kingsford blue bag sale! Last post on 9/3/10 at 2:33pm in General Discussion
- Where to find lump charcoal? Last post on 1/17/11 at 11:04pm in Charcoal Smokers
- kingsford hickory charcoal Last post on 6/26/10 at 2:00pm in Charcoal Smokers
Have owned this smoker for 2 weeks now. Smoked on it 5 times and every time everything on it turned out great. I have had experience smoking on some like it. So no learning curve at all for it....
This is actually a review for Traegers customer service. I don't own a Traeger, but I borrowed and damaged one. I have a Yoder 640. I had loaded 70lbs of pork into it, and went to bed. In the...
This is a good smoker for the beginner who does not want to get to involved with staying up all night monitoring temp/coals. Just fill the hopper and set the temp, when it is warmed up toss in your...
Overall I am very pleased with my Smoke Hollow smoker. IT is a great unit for me, I bought at Sams for less than 400 after taxes. The entire unit itself comes in at over 76 inches in total length...
I've only had the Masterbuilt dual-fuel propane for a month now but have used it 10 times for everything from salmon to pulled pork. I had been thinking about getting a real smoker for a while now...
What kind of charcoal does everyone use - Page 2
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
Kingsford charwood Lump and K blue bag as well
I like the lump in the UDS, as stated above there is very little ash vs burn time.
I used Ozark Oak for years...Was buying 25-50 bags at a time from a friend through Affiliated Grocery..but they went belly up...and I can't find a local supplier, plus I think they have cut back on production due to the economy. It was/is a very uniform clean burning charcoal.....
This is actually two questions wrapped up into one ... two variables, one problem.
When I bought my ECB last week, I bought a bag of the Kingsford charcoal briquettes with hickory in them. I also bought a small bag of the regular Kingsford to use while curing the smoker. For curing the smoker, I just filled the charcoal pan with the plain charcoal, added lighter fluid (yeah, I know...I'll be getting a chimney lighter when I get next month's disability deposit), and lit it, waiting 30 minutes before closing the vent and covering it with the lid. The coals burned well, and looked like they were ready to burn on for many more hours. I did not use the water pan, per the instructions. The ECB's excuse for a thermometer was well into the HOT zone ... not good.
When I did my first (after a few years dealing with cancer, including chemo, triple brain surgery, and radiation wiped most of my smoker knowledge right out of my brain) barbecue (beef spareribs and a roasting chicken), I used a lot less charcoal, thinking that would help
with the temperature. I DID get 225 deg. F on the first pass, but did not realize, at the time, that it was the water pan keeping the temps
down. After the coals were nice and gray, I added more dry coals (fire looked TOO low) to bring it up to about half. The fire kept it at
about 225F for about 4 hours, then the temps started to drop. I added more charcoal, but there was no fire left to light it.
So here are the questions:
1) Does using more or less charcoal affect the temperature? Or is it just the water pan keeping the temps down in the perfect 220--225F range?
2) Does using more or les charcoal affect how fast it burns down? Or was that more related to the TYPE of charcoal (i.e., plain vs mix of charcoal and hickory)?
3) Should I even use the charcoal/hickory mix anymore? Or should I just save that for the hamburgers? :-)
- What kind of charcoal does everyone use
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › Brined? Frenched? Rubbed? Smoked? Glazed? Cheap Pork Roast! 3 minutes ago
- › Smoked Pumpkin Seeds 8 minutes ago
- › 1st time ribs 11 minutes ago
- › Bad luck on Amazin pellets again. 17 minutes ago
- › Vac Sealed Chili 20 minutes ago
- › I smoke because I hate pot roast. 37 minutes ago
- › First official smoke 39 minutes ago
- › She's home!! 45 minutes ago
- › Rotisserie sausage and grilled bean soup 49 minutes ago
- › Got a smoker for my birthday -- rolling through the forums looking... 50 minutes ago
- › Smokin-it model 3 by smokin-pete
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by montanashawn
- › Camp Chef Camp Chef Pellet Grill & Smoker Deluxe by CHRISTOPH
- › Outdoor Leisure Products (OLP) Smoke Hollow 47180T 4-in-1 by PhillipLeondria
- › Masterbuilt Dual-fuel Pro by StillAqua
- › Smoke Hollow 44241G2 44-Inch Vertical LP Gas Smoker by kentluman
- › Weber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22.5-Inch Smoker by jjcreole
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by tjdcorona
- › Weber 711001 Smokey Mountain Cooker Smoker, 14.5-Inch by Cornman
- › Weston Pro Series #22 Food Grinder 1HP by TripleQ