Maybe a dumb question maybe not.......Can you cold smoke salmon caught in Lake Michigan which are considered "fresh water" and would it be safe even if using cure? I know you cant or at least shouldn't eat any fresh water fish raw for sushi, so I wasn't sure if cold smoking or curing would be any different. I have had hot smoked fresh water salmon which is great, but never heard or seen fresh water lox??
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicFishtagged by Davidhef88, 11/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- Smoked trout Last post on 12/19/14 at 1:32pm in Fish
- Tuna Last post on 12/19/14 at 6:50pm in Fish
- Fresh Smoked Atlantic Kingfish Last post on 9/25/13 at 6:46am in Fish
- Smoked Salmon Candy w/ Qview Last post on 1/9/17 at 10:30am in Fish
- AMAZE-N-SMOKER Peach Smoked Atlantic Salmon with a Sweet Garlic marinade & Q-View Last post on 8/11/10 at 8:41pm in General Discussion
Tuna Grilling Marinade
Last edited: 7/30/10
- Filleting A FishLast edited: 6/27/10
Got this for convenience and the ease of smoking at tailgates or events without pulling the stick burner. Smoked several meals on it now. While I was assembling the smoker, i saw the wood chip tray...
If you ever wanted to make sausage and jerky this is the book that will get you started. Easy step-by-step instructions show you how to bone out a deer for sausage and jerky. Also includes both...
I know it's bad form to be underwhelmed by this book, but am I the only one who actually read it? There are duplicated parts, there is no discernible order to it, and it is mostly aimed at people...
I received this smoker as a gift - it's the 30" model. I read in the forums here about some mods to improve functionality and I did them: installed a base and casters, added some insulation around...
I received the 38' Smoky Hollow with the glass door at Christmas, and have done about 5 smokes so far. The unit is roomy enough to do a 12+ lb. brisket and much more. After two smokes, I ordered a...
- Filleting A Fish
Making Lox a picture guide. - Page 8
post #141 of 145
12/20/16 at 9:15am
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
post #142 of 145
12/20/16 at 9:17am
post #143 of 145
12/20/16 at 11:10am
The other thing I do when I make lox is to freeze it after it's made for 30 days at -10 degrees.
This will kill any parasites in the fish that the cure won't.
It's probably overkill, but I do it anyway.
post #144 of 145
12/20/16 at 1:24pm
- Making Lox a picture guide.
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
Currently, there are 374 Active Users (14 Members and 360 Guests)
- › Perfect Hard Eggs 6 minutes ago
- › Basil Chicken Sausage 12 minutes ago
- › 40# Deer Kielbasa - Finally 20 minutes ago
- › Smoking Sausage Question 29 minutes ago
- › The Awarding Of Points. 31 minutes ago
- › Paging all sausage gurus!! 33 minutes ago
- › Pulled pork hash? Actually, leftovers for just me! 35 minutes ago
- › First Ribs! 51 minutes ago
- › New to smoking 57 minutes ago
- › Lobster Tail,Bacon wrapped Asparagus 1 hour, 23 minutes ago
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas by scubohuntr
- › Masterbuilt Two Door Propane Smoker by JASinIL2006
- › Outdoor Leisure Products Smoke Hollow 38202G by csparrazza
- › Masterbuilt 30" 20070312 with Window by mikeg1218
- › Blaz'n Grill Works "Gridiron" by fivebadgers
- › GMG by Kirby27
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by racecar1439
- › Maverick ET-732 Remote Check Wireless Thermometer With 2 Probes by MyOwnIdaho
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations
- › Wild Hawg Rub
- › Follw-up to Smoke House Problems
- › Fine Points of Curing Brine