Maybe a dumb question maybe not.......Can you cold smoke salmon caught in Lake Michigan which are considered "fresh water" and would it be safe even if using cure? I know you cant or at least shouldn't eat any fresh water fish raw for sushi, so I wasn't sure if cold smoking or curing would be any different. I have had hot smoked fresh water salmon which is great, but never heard or seen fresh water lox??
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicFishtagged by Davidhef88, 11/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- Smoked trout Last post on 12/19/14 at 1:32pm in Fish
- Tuna Last post on 12/19/14 at 6:50pm in Fish
- Fresh Smoked Atlantic Kingfish Last post on 9/25/13 at 6:46am in Fish
- Smoked Salmon Candy w/ Qview Last post on 1/9/17 at 10:30am in Fish
- AMAZE-N-SMOKER Peach Smoked Atlantic Salmon with a Sweet Garlic marinade & Q-View Last post on 8/11/10 at 8:41pm in General Discussion
Tuna Grilling Marinade
Last edited: 7/30/10
- Filleting A FishLast edited: 6/27/10
I was able to make half a burger before the press portion of the burger maker broke. Had to finish the burgers using the machine and my hands, pushing manually. Push down handle and clip broke...
I really enjoyed this smoker - It is being retired for a Old Country Pecos
The family got this for me for a birthday gift ( I chose it, they paid for it). I did not get the WIFI version. Got it home, assembled it (easy) and fired it up. The temp would not stabilize, it...
Bought my T. JR 5 years ago at a Costco roadshow. It made for an affordable start in the smoking and pellet cooker space. Easy setup, but on burn-in the controller and fan burned out. ...
Loving the extra room on the LUX. (Bought as Cabela's Magnum) Smoked 3 turkeys (at once) for thanksgiving and for SuperBowl did a 14lb brisket and 8 chicken quarters at the same time. I...
- Filleting A Fish
Making Lox a picture guide. - Page 8
post #141 of 145
12/20/16 at 9:15am
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
post #142 of 145
12/20/16 at 9:17am
post #143 of 145
12/20/16 at 11:10am
The other thing I do when I make lox is to freeze it after it's made for 30 days at -10 degrees.
This will kill any parasites in the fish that the cure won't.
It's probably overkill, but I do it anyway.
post #144 of 145
12/20/16 at 1:24pm
- Making Lox a picture guide.
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
Currently, there are 481 Active Users (28 Members and 453 Guests)
- › Leg Of Lamb !! 2 minutes ago
- › Leggs #114 Beef/Elk 5 minutes ago
- › ThermoPro TP20 any good? 14 minutes ago
- › big bacon 19 minutes ago
- › Smoked then Sous Vide Brisket for a southern themed meal... 27 minutes ago
- › Spit Roasted Fire Bathed Cheddar Brats 33 minutes ago
- › Dry cure German salami 40 minutes ago
- › I need help with my mailbox mod please... will not stay lit. 41 minutes ago
- › Thinking of getting Big Poppa UDS kit 53 minutes ago
- › Metzgermeister schloss 1 hour, 10 minutes ago
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations