Maybe a dumb question maybe not.......Can you cold smoke salmon caught in Lake Michigan which are considered "fresh water" and would it be safe even if using cure? I know you cant or at least shouldn't eat any fresh water fish raw for sushi, so I wasn't sure if cold smoking or curing would be any different. I have had hot smoked fresh water salmon which is great, but never heard or seen fresh water lox??
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicFishtagged by Davidhef88, 11/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- Smoked trout Last post on 12/19/14 at 1:32pm in Fish
- Tuna Last post on 12/19/14 at 6:50pm in Fish
- Fresh Smoked Atlantic Kingfish Last post on 9/25/13 at 6:46am in Fish
- Smoked Salmon Candy w/ Qview Last post on 1/9/17 at 10:30am in Fish
- AMAZE-N-SMOKER Peach Smoked Atlantic Salmon with a Sweet Garlic marinade & Q-View Last post on 8/11/10 at 8:41pm in General Discussion
Tuna Grilling Marinade
Last edited: 7/30/10
- Filleting A FishLast edited: 6/27/10
You won't find these at Wal-Mart!!!
I purchased one of the very early Traeger Lil' Tex models about 20 years ago. It was the first pellet grill I had ever seen and I fell in love instantly. Over time I added a digital thermometer to...
This product will not work in a propane smoker and it is a known defect by Amazen. The gas fire fights with the smoker for the air supply and the smoker usually looses an will not burn. They...
My stock temp gauge after 3 uses was about 50 degrees off. So I ordered this one cause I have seen this one in many videos and pictures. and the rating was good. Had to make the hole bigger to...
I purchased this grill on 5-05-2017-----so I purchased this grill (Tailgater in Blue) from my local ACE hardware and the temps are all over the place, so far I have e-mailed back and forth (3...
- Filleting A Fish
Making Lox a picture guide. - Page 8
post #141 of 145
12/20/16 at 9:15am
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
post #142 of 145
12/20/16 at 9:17am
post #143 of 145
12/20/16 at 11:10am
The other thing I do when I make lox is to freeze it after it's made for 30 days at -10 degrees.
This will kill any parasites in the fish that the cure won't.
It's probably overkill, but I do it anyway.
post #144 of 145
12/20/16 at 1:24pm
- Making Lox a picture guide.
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
Currently, there are 752 Active Users (34 Members and 718 Guests)
- › SV Tri Tip 6 seconds ago
- › IT'S TIIIIIIMMME!!!!!!! FINALLY BUILDING MY REVERSE FLOW!! 3 minutes ago
- › First Bacon Bomb a.k.a Fatty 4 minutes ago
- › It's a Wing Thing! 5 minutes ago
- › Pancetta and bacon time 5 minutes ago
- › Babybacks, Tri Tip and 4th of July! 10 minutes ago
- › June 2017 Burger Blowout Voting thread!! 18 minutes ago
- › Another BBQGuru Thread 21 minutes ago
- › WiFi Thermometer Choices 22 minutes ago
- › looking to do a mailbox mod 24 minutes ago
- › Old Country Brasos by ammaturesmoker
- › Traeger Lil' Tex Elite Pellet Grill by Gjd53
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by Smokedevil
- › 3 Inch Large Smoker Thermometer by Tragusa113
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by bigdumbjarhead
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by 603Smoker
- › Kingsford 30520 Competition Briquets, 11.1-Pound Bag by daRicksta
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by BC taster
- › Brinkmann Pro Series 4400 by LilyArscott
- › Outdoor Leisure Products (OLP) Smoke Hollow 47180T 4-in-1 by Jarch
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS