Maybe a dumb question maybe not.......Can you cold smoke salmon caught in Lake Michigan which are considered "fresh water" and would it be safe even if using cure? I know you cant or at least shouldn't eat any fresh water fish raw for sushi, so I wasn't sure if cold smoking or curing would be any different. I have had hot smoked fresh water salmon which is great, but never heard or seen fresh water lox??
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicFishtagged by Davidhef88, 11/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- Smoked trout Last post on 12/19/14 at 1:32pm in Fish
- Tuna Last post on 12/19/14 at 6:50pm in Fish
- Fresh Smoked Atlantic Kingfish Last post on 9/25/13 at 6:46am in Fish
- Smoked Salmon Candy w/ Qview Last post on 1/9/17 at 10:30am in Fish
- AMAZE-N-SMOKER Peach Smoked Atlantic Salmon with a Sweet Garlic marinade & Q-View Last post on 8/11/10 at 8:41pm in General Discussion
Tuna Grilling Marinade
Last edited: 7/30/10
- Filleting A FishLast edited: 6/27/10
Ive ground and mixed 60 + pounds of meat so far in 20-25 lbs batches. 1st, it does a much better job than I did manually with out over working the meat. I need to work on my setup a bit to make the...
So I purchased a GMG Jim Bowie prior to owning my Blaz'n Grill GridIron. I had problems from the start and eventually sold it after owning it for a little over 3 months. I paid more than double for...
I have smoked ribs, beer can chicken, pork butts, chicken breasts, all have turned out great. I just turn it on set the temp and forget it.
I agree with everything yamafx4dude said. The box itself is great. Well insulted and large enough for a large family I need to smoke for. However the electronics in this unit suck… DO NOT depend...
This is a nice set it and forget it type of thing. One thing I do want to mention on it...lump coal is not easy to work with on this. Stay with Kingsford. Well made and works like a charm. I am not...
- Filleting A Fish
Making Lox a picture guide. - Page 8
post #141 of 145
12/20/16 at 9:15am
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
post #142 of 145
12/20/16 at 9:17am
post #143 of 145
12/20/16 at 11:10am
The other thing I do when I make lox is to freeze it after it's made for 30 days at -10 degrees.
This will kill any parasites in the fish that the cure won't.
It's probably overkill, but I do it anyway.
post #144 of 145
12/20/16 at 1:24pm
- Making Lox a picture guide.
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
Currently, there are 276 Active Users (4 Members and 272 Guests)
- › 500 gal propane tank reverse flow smoker 2nd smoker i have built 1 hour, 3 minutes ago
- › Are you taking the extra step to get the best meat? 1 hour, 38 minutes ago
- › What's your occupation? 1 hour, 42 minutes ago
- › Hello from London, Uk 2 hours, 21 minutes ago
- › Chris lilly injection question? 2 hours, 24 minutes ago
- › First Sausage in my MES30 2 hours, 31 minutes ago
- › The Cowboy Ribeye....Curious to know more about this cut? 3 hours, 9 minutes ago
- › first try curing - buckboard bacon 3 hours, 11 minutes ago
- › double post please delete 3 hours, 28 minutes ago
- › Why my Anova is the perfect smoker accessory 3 hours, 28 minutes ago
- › 7-Gal. Mixer Attachment with Tilt by TripleQ
- › Blaz'n Grill Works "Gridiron" by FBI Van Outside
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by miked945
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by Vajinyan
- › Slow 'N Sear by ammaturesmoker
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by Dabnet795
- › Char Broil Offset Smoker American Gourmet Deluxe Grill by Face
- › Weber 7416 Rapidfire Chimney Starter by Cornman
- › Weber 781001 26.75-Inch One-Touch Gold Charcoal Grill by jesse624
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Mohole15
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations
- › Wild Hawg Rub
- › Follw-up to Smoke House Problems
- › Fine Points of Curing Brine
- › Seasonings & Marinades
- › Tying a Butcher's Knot