Maybe a dumb question maybe not.......Can you cold smoke salmon caught in Lake Michigan which are considered "fresh water" and would it be safe even if using cure? I know you cant or at least shouldn't eat any fresh water fish raw for sushi, so I wasn't sure if cold smoking or curing would be any different. I have had hot smoked fresh water salmon which is great, but never heard or seen fresh water lox??
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicFishtagged by Davidhef88, 11/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- Smoked trout Last post on 12/19/14 at 1:32pm in Fish
- Tuna Last post on 12/19/14 at 6:50pm in Fish
- Fresh Smoked Atlantic Kingfish Last post on 9/25/13 at 6:46am in Fish
- Smoked Salmon Candy w/ Qview Last post on 1/9/17 at 10:30am in Fish
- AMAZE-N-SMOKER Peach Smoked Atlantic Salmon with a Sweet Garlic marinade & Q-View Last post on 8/11/10 at 8:41pm in General Discussion
Tuna Grilling Marinade
Last edited: 7/30/10
- Filleting A FishLast edited: 6/27/10
I've had my RecTec 680 for about three weeks or so. I've already cooked on it about 10 times I imagine. I've got baby backs smoking on it right now. This smoker is worth every penny you'll pay for...
I got this because smoking on my Weber kettle gets a little crowded. In stock form, this thing would probably be pretty useless. I was able to mod it with very little extra money because I...
after my seasoning run and 1st smoking session, I had to alter the unit..closed firebox to chamber up some and added a 3/16 plate deflector on top of it so heat and smoke ran more directly into...
Smoker is everything you need as a novice or pro. I converted my smoker to natural gas. Extremely easy conversion explained by the company on their website. Bought the #51 drill bit at Ace Hardware...
I was on a waiting list to get my Timberline 1300. Now having owned it 6 weeks, It has become a $2000 paperweight that occupies space on my deck. Avoid this grill, Traeger likes to tout their world...
- Filleting A Fish
Making Lox a picture guide. - Page 8
post #141 of 145
12/20/16 at 9:15am
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
post #142 of 145
12/20/16 at 9:17am
post #143 of 145
12/20/16 at 11:10am
The other thing I do when I make lox is to freeze it after it's made for 30 days at -10 degrees.
This will kill any parasites in the fish that the cure won't.
It's probably overkill, but I do it anyway.
post #144 of 145
12/20/16 at 1:24pm
- Making Lox a picture guide.
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
Currently, there are 556 Active Users (27 Members and 529 Guests)
- › Large Cook Advice 2 hours, 28 minutes ago
- › First FULL Brisket 2 hours, 40 minutes ago
- › Neighbors ever complain about smoke??? 3 hours, 4 minutes ago
- › Reverse Seared Cowboy Steaks w/ Q-View 3 hours, 9 minutes ago
- › Getting more flavor in my jerky. 3 hours, 25 minutes ago
- › First Charcuterie Done !! 3 hours, 29 minutes ago
- › Trying Umai Soppressata 3 hours, 44 minutes ago
- › Results of removing some mods, for stick burning. 3 hours, 48 minutes ago
- › Buying used 18" WSM 3 hours, 52 minutes ago
- › Green Wood? 3 hours, 54 minutes ago
- › REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill - Featuring Smart Grill TechnologyTM by biz302
- › Brinkmann Smoke N Pit Pitmaster Deluxe Charcoal/Wood Smoker and Grill by Skinnyj
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by alteredstates
- › Camp Chef SMV24S 24" Smoke Vault - SMV24S by jond36
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Utah Smoker
- › Kingsford 30520 Competition Briquets, 11.1-Pound Bag by SenseiRogue
- › Masterbuilt 30" 20070312 with Window by jdkimbro
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by albell
- › Masterbuilt Model 20070210 30" Electric Smokehouse by SmokeScience
- › Char-Griller Competition Pro 8125 by Crankbolt
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ