Wow! - it it really next weekend. Where has the last year gone!!!
With less than a week to go now until we bring the sweet smell of smoking wood to Lincoln we just need to confirm some of the arrangements with members who are coming. A number of you have mentioned that you intend to come along with friends/partners but it would be helpful if you can confirm numbers below and what you are expecting to cook/prepare. Also if you have any further questions about the weekend then please ask them here.
If you have not already said that you are coming but would like to, it is not too late. Just let us know below.
What will be on site and what do I need to bring?
Most of the basic kitchen and catering equipment will be provided, including.
- Gazebos to cover the food preparation and serving areas
- Serving tables, plates and cutlery
- Heated chafing dishes for the serving of hot food
- Food prep tables and surface sanitiser
- Disposable food prep gloves
- Chiller trailer for the storage of all food (and drink) that needs to be refrigerated
- Hot water will be available from a hot water urn in the food smoking area
What you need to bring
- Any meat and other ingredients that you are planning on cooking
- Dishes/trays that you will need for preparation/cooking
- Your Smoker/BBQ - although there will be limited space available in other smokers
- Any foil or clingfilm that you may need - although some will be available for general use
- Camping chairs for yourselves to sit on
What will you be cooking?
We try to ensure that there is as big a variety of food as possible and so we do ask you to let us know what you intend to bring. If, for some reason you do have to change at the last minute then that is fine, but by letting us know what you are bringing in advance does help us to fill any gaps in the menu.
Don't forget that this is not a competition. We are here to help everyone to learn and improves their smoking skills. It would be great if you want to prepare something for the first time at the event and just want the reassurance of others to give you confidence.
We would also encourage you to bring a non-meat side dish too if you can.There will be plenty of food there that is suitable for vegetarians.
BBQ Beans - We mention this specifically as one year we had more BBQ beans there than the whole of Texas could eat in a month. Please let us know below if you are planning on bringing beans so that others can plan accordingly.
We are aiming to get a good cross section of smoked food as not everyone will eat certain meats and it does not all have to cooked in the BBQ. We have had excellent pots of Chilli and slow pan cooked dishes in the past. This year I think we are also expecting Pizza.
Improving your BBQ techniques
As a number of different meats will be prepared for the meal there will be plenty of opportunity to watch others prepare and smoke using different methods. We will try to publish times that specific meats are being prepped so that you can come along and watch and ask questions. We will also try to include some additional demonstrations throughout the day. There will be an array of different smoker types there and so this is a good opportunity to see them used in different ways.
As we will be cooking for a group it is even more important that a high levels of food hygiene is maintained. We do not want this to be onerous and most of what is required is simple common sense. We do ask you to observe the following simple guidelines.
- Please ensure that any foods that require to be chilled are transported to the event cold in a suitable insulated container and that they are placed in the chiller trailer immediately upon arrival.
- Meat prep and non meat prep areas will be provided. Please ensure that you use the correct areas and avoid cross contamination.
- Please ensure that foods have reached the required temperatures before they are served
- If in doubt ask for advice
I will be monitoring food handling during the event but I cannot be everywhere all of the time. It will be up to all of us collectively to ensure that good standards are maintained.
In memory of Annette
With the sad, unexpected death of Annette Lane - the partner of Danny (KC5TPY) we will be holding a raffle during the weekend. All money raised will be donated to a charity of Danny's choice in memory of Annette. Danny was the founder member of the SMF UK group and without his hard work in the beginning this event would not be running today. If you have any prizes that you would like to donate for the raffle they would be gratefully received.
What will you be bringing?
Please reply to this thread to confirm what you will be bringing and how many will be in your party. Please also ask any outstanding questions.
Both Steve and I a looking forward to seeing you all next weekend