New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Awww rats!

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

I was about to put 3 racks of ribs out on the smoker for dinner and I found a rat nest and a single, big, fat rat in there.  I pulled the racks from the smoker and put them on my propane grill and have it going full blast.  I removed the nest and the droppings and then sprayed the inside of the smoker with oven cleaner.  Is there anything else i should do to clean this up?  It's a natural gas smoker, so it doesn't get much over 250°F.

post #2 of 13
Fire it up as high as you can and let it run. Throw some wood in there to get some smoke rolling. Let it go for several hours.
post #3 of 13

rats dont take several hours :icon_mrgreen:

post #4 of 13
I wouldn't have used oven cleaner. But like stated above high heat and smoke, a looooong smoke
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlainBob View Post

rats dont take several hours icon_mrgreen.gif
lol
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 

Thanks guys.  as stated above, I sprayed the inside with oven cleaner so whether or not that was a good idea its already been done.  I just cleaned out the inside and while it isn't clean-like-new, its cleaner than after the first time I used it.

 

I'll go light it up and let it run until I go to sleep tonight.

 

I've got two racks of ribs and a prime brisket.  The brisket it still cryopaced and will be good for next weekend.  The ribs have been rubbed with mustard, salt, and pepper.  i'm thinking of vacuum packing them and putting them in the freezer and doing them with the brisket next weekend.  Or should I vacuum pack and just keep in the fridge until then?

post #7 of 13
Freeze the ribs. Even with the rub 7 days will be pushing the ribs...JJ
post #8 of 13

What IT do you smoke rat to?

 

Al

post #9 of 13

You let your smoker sit unused long enough for a rat to take up occupancy?

 

SHAME on you!

 

Hey, if we didn't rag you once in awhile, you're liable to think nobody loves you anymore!

post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly Jim View Post
 

You let your smoker sit unused long enough for a rat to take up occupancy?

 

SHAME on you!

 

Hey, if we didn't rag you once in awhile, you're liable to think nobody loves you anymore!

 

I was wondering how long it would take before I got this!  It's crawfish season man!  I boiled 70 lbs of mudbugs.  I should get a pass for that, especially from a hillbilly.

 

Truth is I haven't smoked anything in a while because I left my controller out in the rain.  There's a thick layer of corrosion on it now.  Some of the temperature sense channels are +/- 20°F and couple are off by 100's.  Doesn't work very well.  I've got a rambunctious 2 year old a 9 month pregnant wife.  

 

Yesterday was supposed to be the inaugural run of the new and improved controller that doesn't have 4ft long wires hanging off of it and dozens of wire wraps underneath it.  Ribs are super simple so I wasn't too worried about it.  Worst case I would turn off the automatic control and handle everything manually.  Next weekend will be the second attempt, and a trial by fire, with an overnight prime brisket.

post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAl View Post
 

What IT do you smoke rat to?

 

Al

it's not always about the IT 

probe tender is the way to go 

just my opinion tho 

post #12 of 13
The burnt ends are the best part.
Mmmmm delicious
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin View Post
 

I was about to put 3 racks of ribs out on the smoker for dinner and I found a rat nest and a single, big, fat rat in there.  I pulled the racks from the smoker and put them on my propane grill and have it going full blast.  I removed the nest and the droppings and then sprayed the inside of the smoker with oven cleaner.  Is there anything else i should do to clean this up?  It's a natural gas smoker, so it doesn't get much over 250°F.

I am a Big Fan of Sodium Hypochlorite or Chlorine, aka Bleach. I would have used the shop vac to suck and not blow all the Rat Nest mess around and then spray a diluted Bleach solution on everything and let set for an hour and rinse with water hose or High pressure sprayer.  Then when all is dry fire that Bad Boy back up and resean your Smoker  with good heavy Smoke and then throw your meat back on and get the party started ! :grilling_smilie:

 

I am sure oven cleaner done the trick just fine for you, I personally don't like to use it unless absolutely necessary because of the other bad chemicals associated with it.

 

Like Al, I am curious also as to how your Rat turned out? Some Cultures like to add wild rice and call it a meal ! LOL :laugh1:  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion