SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Dutch Oven Cooking › Dutch Oven Recipes › "Real" Jambalaya!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Real" Jambalaya! - Page 3

post #41 of 59

I was so inspired by this post, I made a batch yesterday with 1/4" Sliced CSRs. I browned the meat then the veg. I added Chix Broth and the Pork and simmered 30 minutes. I added the Sausage, simmered 15 minutes and added the Rice. 25 minutes later and we were good to go. The family all enjoyed the meal and the Pork was super tender. Two of the kids that had the Tomato based style commented they liked the brown version better...JJ

post #42 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberjet View Post
 

Awesome. Now tell me if I am wrong but would that actually make three types of jumbalaya? Brown, red and creole? Please elaborate. Thanks for the great post.


Creole would be considered red.

 

BTW, the term Creole has taken on many, many different meanings over the centuries. In today's parlance it seems to have taken on a sort of mixed race, New Orleanian type of inference. Derived from the Spanish term Croillo, it was originally used to designate those spaniards born in the new world vs Spain it then became to incorporate someone in New Orleans that was of either Spanish or French lineage born in Nouvelle Orleans. Then from there it was used to describe someone of both French and Spanish mixed. From there it gets a little murky but eventually bastardized to where it is today. 

 

But I digress. Do an inter webs search and you will find all sorts of history on the term. 

post #43 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post
 

I was so inspired by this post, I made a batch yesterday with 1/4" Sliced CSRs. I browned the meat then the veg. I added Chix Broth and the Pork and simmered 30 minutes. I added the Sausage, simmered 15 minutes and added the Rice. 25 minutes later and we were good to go. The family all enjoyed the meal and the Pork was super tender. Two of the kids that had the Tomato based style commented they liked the brown version better...JJ


Awesome! Converts. My plan is working. 

post #44 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown Farms View Post
 

Drive through there 4-5 times a year. Great to understand the difference.Been working on smoking pork for tasso. Any advice would be appreciated?


I never did Tasso myself. Do a search on this forum. I have seen several posts on here form folks that have made it. 

 

The tasso in Louisiana is basically ham but with a bit more seasoning and fairly smokey. 

post #45 of 59

If you don't already have it, go and get a copy of Micheal Ruhlman & Brian Polcyn's book Charcuterie the Craft of Salting, Smoking & Curing. I have used their recipe for Tasso (cold smoked) several time and it has always been awesome plus it is a great book on the craft of curing meat. After using their recipe for corned beef I will never buy a store brand again, way simple and way way way BETTER,

 

RAF 

post #46 of 59
I'm in the simmering stage of some jambalaya as we speak. This just really peaked my interest so we devoted to make a batch. Just winging quantities and used Anaheim peppers instead of greens (we're not big green pepper fans). Adding rice in about 5 min so we'll see how we fare!
post #47 of 59
Turned out great! New family recipe for sure!
post #48 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryD View Post

Turned out great! New family recipe for sure!


Awesome. More converts! 

post #49 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrtt1 View Post


Awesome. More converts! 

I think I need to use a higher broth:rice ratio. I did a 2:1 but it seemed to dry out fast and I didn't get the full last setting time in. The rice was also not completely done. I think an extra cup of broth, at least, and the extra settling time would have been needed. We'll know next time and try it again next month!
post #50 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryD View Post


I think I need to use a higher broth:rice ratio. I did a 2:1 but it seemed to dry out fast and I didn't get the full last setting time in. The rice was also not completely done. I think an extra cup of broth, at least, and the extra settling time would have been needed. We'll know next time and try it again next month!

I would not use an extra cup. Maybe a little bit more. You run the risk of having a mushy jambalaya. 

post #51 of 59

Also before adding extra liquid, no more than 1/2 Cup,  make sure your pot seals well and the heat is very low. I make A LOT of Rice in just what the kids call the magic rice pot.  Some 50 years old, Aluminum, dented to crap but a very tight lid. Any amount of rice, water 1" over the surface, bring to boil, cover, turn heat as low as it will go, 20 minute simmer and 20 minute rest...Perfect every time. Jamblaya has different proportions but the cooking procedure is similar...JJ

post #52 of 59
I may have to find a different pot then. The one I used has a vent home and the lid doesn't seal up well. May be time to pony up and buy a Dutch oven.
post #53 of 59

@tbrtt1 Been driving across LA from Houston to Mobile for many years and always enjoy the food and learning new things about the history. Thanks for your lesson in red vs brown jambalaya. I guess the Mods did not like the idea of your posting the spreadsheet so could you PM it to me? It sounds like a great resource.

post #54 of 59

recipe looks perfect!

post #55 of 59

Yummmm.... I love Jambalaya..  I so miss southern / cajun food..... An I don't have all the ingredients to make it here. Guess I'm going shopping.....  Thx for the lesson tbrtt1. When the time comes for our ride south that was one of our planned stops. So I am looking forward to trying all the different foods I can. That is one of them. 

post #56 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown Farms View Post

@tbrtt1
 Been driving across LA from Houston to Mobile for many years and always enjoy the food and learning new things about the history. Thanks for your lesson in red vs brown jambalaya. I guess the Mods did not like the idea of your posting the spreadsheet so could you PM it to me? It sounds like a great resource.

Hey Sundown,

Sorry for the delay. I travel a ton for work and get behind on things like this. Check post #26 in this thread. I think the sheet is still there. They were fine with posting it. If not let me know and I will PM this weekend when I get home to my personal laptop.
post #57 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Canuck View Post

Yummmm.... I love Jambalaya..  I so miss southern / cajun food..... An I don't have all the ingredients to make it here. Guess I'm going shopping.....  Thx for the lesson tbrtt1. When the time comes for our ride south that was one of our planned stops. So I am looking forward to trying all the different foods I can. That is one of them. 

The good thing about "real" jambalaya is that you don't need any special ingredients.
post #58 of 59

@tbrtt1- I found it...should have looked harder. Looking forward to trying it. Being a spreadsheet kinda guy I can say that it is a work of art.

post #59 of 59

If you happen to be traveling through South Louisiana on Memorial Day weekenr sto in Gonzales (The Jambalaya Capitol of the World). That is when we hold our Jambalaya festival. Lots of good fun, music, and of course good jambalaya. Hope to see you there.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dutch Oven Recipes
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Dutch Oven Cooking › Dutch Oven Recipes › "Real" Jambalaya!