I currently have MES40 which I will continue to use. But I am looking to add an additional smoker and I started looking at the pellet smokers. After reading post regard the pellet smokers have a hard time maintaining a consistent temp , I decided to look at other options.It appears that most brands of pellet smokers tend to fluctuate 20 -25 degrees during heat cycles and that is what i am trying to get away from with my MES40.
I am now looking at the SMV24 from Camp Chef. I know nothing about them or smoking with propane and I was wondering if I could get some thoughts about this smoker?
1. How much fuel is needed for a 6 hour smoke at 225? Will one 20lb tank do it?
2. Will it hold 3 racks of ribs ?
3. Does it hold constant temps? Very important
4. How is it at low temps,around 225?
5. Are modes required to get good results, or is it ready out of the box?
6. Could I use my A-maze_N tray with it, and where do I place it?
I found one shipped for around $230 and I could have it in a few days. I have a smoke off coming up at the end of this month and I wanted to use it along with my MES40.
Thanks for any input