All right, so I got my new backwoods party and finally have a few smokes under it to review properly. For record, my previous (and only) baby before was a masterbuilt pro which I did enjoy.
1) I literally love this thing. It holds temps incredibly. I was very nervous about using charcoal instead of gas, but this thing can be adjusted just as quick and as easy as gas with the opening of a vent 1 inch, and in 15 minutes you are settled.
2) The color it puts on meat is amazing compared to gas. It colored my sausages the most beautiful brown I have ever seen. Same for the pork shoulder.
3) It heats up relatively quickly, it comes to temp almost as quick as my propane smoker did.
4) You can stage the wood in the firebox so there is literally zero maintenance at all until the charcoal dies (more on that in the CON)
5) Huge space. I can cook a feast on this bad boy.
6) The charcoal definitely adds flavor. It's more "smoky" without being bitter.
1) There aren't many, but the primary one is the charcoal run out. For my 10 hour shoulder cook I had to replace the charcoal three times, which I thought was excessive. I was using generic kingsford briquettes, if lump makes a difference please let me know!!
If anyone is on the fence regarding a backwoods (the price indeed scared me) let me know. I can try to help answer any questions. One of the primary reasons I spent the money I did on this bad boy is the potential longevity, I expect this cooker to last me 10-15 years easy (which based on the construction I wouldn't be surprised if it survived the apocalypse).
Edited by SwineFan - 7/14/16 at 3:46pm