or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Electric Smokers › New masterbuilt 40 how often do you add chips?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New masterbuilt 40 how often do you add chips? - Page 2

post #21 of 49

Ok. Sold. I am going to buy an AMNPS soon. Do you buy your pellets from the same place? Are there different kinds, like hickory, apple, etc.? Will I be throwing my supply of chips away, or will I still be using them at times? Looking forward to trying my hand at a pork butt soon!

post #22 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW999 View Post
 

Ok. Sold. I am going to buy an AMNPS soon. Do you buy your pellets from the same place? Are there different kinds, like hickory, apple, etc.? Will I be throwing my supply of chips away, or will I still be using them at times? Looking forward to trying my hand at a pork butt soon!

You can get your Pellets from the same place and you can also get them from here ...

 

http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/products/wood-pellets/item/103-vortex-blend-pellets.html

post #23 of 49
Is there an easy way to turn logs into pellets? I gotta big stack of pecan logs.
post #24 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickguy221 View Post

You can get your Pellets from the same place and you can also get them from here ...

http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/products/wood-pellets/item/103-vortex-blend-pellets.html
Have you tried the Smoke Daddy pellets with 30% charcoal pellets? I was wondering if there is enough charcoal to form the smoke ring they say it does and if the charcoal flavor is noticeable compared to 100% wood.
-Kurt
post #25 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas mathew View Post

Is there an easy way to turn logs into pellets? I gotta big stack of pecan logs.
No. You can Google heating pellets on how it's made and watch the 10 minute video. Heating pellets have all kinds of pulverized wood pieces where smoking pellets for food is all natural hardwood that is 100% the flavor of the wood on the bag or mixed with Alder or Oak for fuel and flavor for grills that are designed to burn pellets. The process is the same to make these pellets and require rollers with tons and tons of pressure to extrude the pellets through a die plate. The natural lignin in the wood even having 10% or less moisture content gets melted and binds the wood dust together, having them come out shiny and steaming without additives.
-Kurt
post #26 of 49
I think I have the MES40 Gen 2.5...not sure what is a Gen 3.
My chip tray seems small, and looking at the chip/burner area, a tray twice its size could be used.
I emailed Masterbuilt to see if there is a retrofit kit.
post #27 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas mathew View Post

I think I have the MES40 Gen 2.5...not sure what is a Gen 3.
My chip tray seems small, and looking at the chip/burner area, a tray twice its size could be used.
I emailed Masterbuilt to see if there is a retrofit kit.
 

 

I believe there are reasons for making their chip drawers & other things the sizes they make them.

 

You will be Much happier to get an AMNPS, and forget about struggling to get your MES to do what isn't possible to do with an electric smoker.

 

 

As far as I know there hasn't been a Generation #3 added to the Masterbuilt line.

 

 

Bear

post #28 of 49
bc24f3605778a0f68330c09de6445713.jpg

Since I flipped my heating element over to the center of the box, it got closer to the amnps, thus more the reason why I went with the mail box. Never looked back, especially since I like to start my fish smoking with Alder and end it with Apple. Never have to open the MES to change pellets.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #29 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas mathew View Post

I think I have the MES40 Gen 2.5...not sure what is a Gen 3.
My chip tray seems small, and looking at the chip/burner area, a tray twice its size could be used.
I emailed Masterbuilt to see if there is a retrofit kit.

The picture you show here doesn't appear to me to be a 2.5 

post #30 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickguy221 View Post

The picture you show here doesn't appear to me to be a 2.5 

model: 20070215 which I could not find on the Masterbuilt website.
post #31 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas mathew View Post


model: 20070215 which I could not find on the Masterbuilt website.

Are you sure you have the model number right?

post #32 of 49
post #33 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickguy221 View Post
 

Are you sure you have the model number right?

The picture you show here doesn't appear to me to be a 2.5 

 

It's a #2.5---You can see the Split level Water pan above the chip burner shield.

 

Bear

post #34 of 49
It's definitely a 20070215. MES 40 BT with the stand sold at Sams club. It's the one I bought.
post #35 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingEarL View Post

It's definitely a 20070215. MES 40 BT with the stand sold at Sams club. It's the one I bought.

I have the same Sam's Smoker with legs, but didn't realize that it  is that Model No.

 

Bought it a year ago this month along with the extended warranty and have had no problems with it to date....

 

I posted earlier that I didn't think the Smoker in picture was a 2.5, but Bear said it is, judging by the water pan. I did study that pan, but it isn't a good picture and the water pan just didn't look right, but I guess as Bear said, it is right.

post #36 of 49
It's all good. Seems like all the Masterbuilt models are pretty darn good.
post #37 of 49
I'm wondering if I could use the older model chip tray. Seems like a bigger tray than mine, but might just smoke too much. Guess I'll just soak my chips and re-load every 1.5 to 2 hrs. Or I wonder if I use bigger chunks it'll burn longer? I saw a youtube video of a person putting charcoal in the tray, but not sure that I wanna do that.
post #38 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas mathew View Post

I'm wondering if I could use the older model chip tray. Seems like a bigger tray than mine, but might just smoke too much. Guess I'll just soak my chips and re-load every 1.5 to 2 hrs. Or I wonder if I use bigger chunks it'll burn longer? I saw a youtube video of a person putting charcoal in the tray, but not sure that I wanna do that.

 

Most Veteran MES users will agree that soaking chips or chunks is not a good thing to do.

 

Neither is putting water in the water pan.

 

AMNPS is the way to go. An MES & an AMNPS is a "Match made in Smoking Heaven".

 

Bear

post #39 of 49
Bear, I'm just not fond of pellets. Most pellets I've seen aren't the kinds of wood I prefer. I was thinking maybe I could build a device to grind a stump to saw dust, then press the saw dust through a plate to make my own home made pellets.
post #40 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas mathew View Post

Bear, I'm just not fond of pellets. Most pellets I've seen aren't the kinds of wood I prefer. I was thinking maybe I could build a device to grind a stump to saw dust, then press the saw dust through a plate to make my own home made pellets.


I watched them make pellets on TV, on that "How They Do That" program.

It's pretty neat, but takes Tons of pressure to make them.

 

Amazing Smoker (Todd) sells Pellets that are made from only the species of Wood that it says on the package, and he has a whole mess of wood species----Probably about anything you can get actual wood of that species.

 

You can also make your own Sawdust, and just use it as Sawdust.

Sawdust works Great in an AMNPS or AMNS.

The best texture comes from:

Radial Saw

Chop Saw

Miter Saw

Table Saw (while crosscutting)

 

Bear

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Electric Smokers
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Electric Smokers › New masterbuilt 40 how often do you add chips?