I'm a former Weber Smokey Mountain smoker owner, a quality piece of a equipment, and I had to sell it and go to an electric smoker. I moved to a condo and we cannot have charcoal or propane based cooking equipment on the balcony but electric is fine.
I just got a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker from Lowes. I have a few questions:
1. How the heck do I use this remote to check the temperature of the smoker?
Not sure if it's correct, but I was just hitting some buttons and hit the "+" sign and it started cycling between 2 numbers. I had the temp set to 275 (pre-seasoning it as instructed) and it started showing 275-289-275-289-275-286-275-286
2. If the other numbers (289, 286) are the internal temperature, why did it go above the set temperature 275?
I pushed the Meat Probe button (nothing in the smoker, meat probe on holder against the inside wall). I held it down and it beeped and shows 248. Then it started cycling 275-281-275-281-275-281
3. What is the 248? What is the 281?
4. Is my smoker defective?
Coming from the WSM, it held a very constant temperature. I'm just wondering what are these wild ranges of temperatures are all about.
5. Is there a better way to have stable temperature?
6. Do MES owners eventually drill and hole and put in an analog temperature gauge so they can get a true read of the temp?