I make green curry paste often. It's a bit time consuming but tasty.
Here's the curry paste. You can make it up a day or two in advance.
* 1/2 to 1 green chili, sliced
* 1/4 cup shallot OR purple onion, diced
* 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 thumb-size ginger, grated
* 1 stalk minced lemongrass , minced
* 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
* 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
* 3/4 to 1 tsp. shrimp paste OR 1 extra Tbsp fish sauce
* 1 (loose) cup fresh coriander/cilantro leaves and stems, chopped
* 1/2 tsp. ground white pepper, available in most spice sections
* 2.5 Tbsp. fish sauce
* 1 tsp. brown sugar
* 1 Tbsp. lime juice
* 1/4 can coconut milk
The curry paste goes in towards the end of the process. If using beef or chicken I stir fry those first, then add veggies. If using shrimp or tofu, I stir fry the veggies then add those.
Then the curry paste, plus a can of coconut milk. Last you add Thai basil, good squeeze of lime and any other hot spices you want.
Crunchy gribeness chicken snack! If have added that to the final dish but the wife wouldn't have liked it.