This is my first go at curing anything. So I'm a little apprehensive. I am using Hi Mountain BBB cure. I used a 7.5 lb butt, deboned, and split into horizontally into two pieces (about 2" thick at max). I have been curing the two pieces according to directions for 11 days (directions actually say 10 day cure). I pulled from the frig this morning to soak in water for 1 hour. After removing from the cure, I made a slice through the middle. The color is not uniform through the thickness of the meat. It has a raw look in the center.
Will this be safe to eat? Here are the instructions from Hi Mountain:
1. After curing remove meat from pan.
2. Soak in water for 1 to 2 hours.
3. Drain and rinse with fresh water.
4. Pat dry and let stand at room temp at least 1 hour
5. Place in 150 degree smoker without smoke for 45 min
6. Increase temp to 200 and start smoke
7. Smoke until internal temp of meat reaches 140 degrees
8. Turn off heat and leave back in smoker for 1 hour to cool down.
Thanks for any comments.