Had to try this I did not have the ECA or the other culture they use.I substatuted Cultured Buttermilk to get a little tang.
Lots of pics
Thanks to Cougar78 for his post
Recipe I used
PORK ROLL (TAYLORS HAM) 5 pounds
Cultured Buttermi..........17g ** add 1/4 cup bottled water
*Less needed due to cure present in bacon
** Level of tang; adjust to taste.
1. Partially freeze bacon & pork
2. Grind pork through medium plate Grind Bacon through fine plate
3. Mix pork, bacon & all spices, cure & port& Buttermilk
4. Fry a sample & adjust seasonings if necessary
6. Stuff into 3”+ fibrous casings or muslin sack(s).I used 1 1/2"
Prewarm smoker to 120°
Hang chubs for an hour or so to dry.
Smoke at 130-150° for 3-4 hours until IT reaches 125° or higher.
Poach in 165° water bath until IT hits 152°
Drop in ice bath & keep them there until IT reaches 100°
Refrigerate overnight to firm before slicing.
Spices & Cure
Rested over night then stuffed
Poacher ready held 167 perfectly
Ice water bath
Rested over night
Breakfast was great
This was very close to what we buy in the store but not as salty
I will try this again and maybe use the ECA
Thanks for looking
Edited by tropics - 1/10/16 at 3:01am