or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Cold Smoking › Cheese › Cheese Pics
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cheese Pics

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

Going to smoke a small batch of cheese for only the second time officially. I have some summer sausage that will go mighty well with it.

 

I haven't purchased a tube smoker for whatever reason so just going to crack the door on the Little Chief. It's about 36 out right now so it will stay cold enough to not begin to melt the cheese. Smoking with hickory.

 

Going to smoke mostly Colby Jack.

 

 

 

 

Coming along. Temp did get a bit warm but not enough to melt any pieces

 

All done! Nice plate full. I'll let you know how it tastes tomorrow.

 

 

 

Thanks
Bryce

post #2 of 19

You may want to invest in a tube or AMNP next time.  Not sure got enough smoke with the door being cracked open.  There are some great examples of cold smoker mailbox mods done on the forum.

 

Either way - give the cheese a couple of weeks to mellow out before digging in.

post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 
Thanks Muralboy. Good advice. I was wondering about the smoke penetrating the cheese well enough with the door cracked. At this point I'm not sure it did. This is a front loader so I can't use the box on top method but I'll keep searching. Thank you!
post #4 of 19

Bryce that cheese looks great to me,so if you are not happy with it.Ship it to me LOL Give that 3 or more weeks and the color will blow you away.

Richie 

Point for getting that much color with the door open

post #5 of 19
Thread Starter 
Right on Richie!

I will definitely let it sit. I will have to sneak a bite today though. Nothing wrong with that right? :)

I just need to slow down and buy a tube smoker I think.
post #6 of 19
Search the forum for "Mail box". You will find a lot of good options.

Good job on your first go around though
post #7 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by muralboy View Post

Search the forum for "Mail box". You will find a lot of good options.

Good job on your first go around though

Got it. Thank you
post #8 of 19
Thread Starter 

Well snuck more than a bite during the Heart of Dallas Bowl and the cheese is good, even this fresh. The cracked door on the Little Chief didn't help it much but didn't seem to harm it either other than possibly loosing some smoke flavor. In any event, I'll be ordering a tube smoker now.

 

Thanks,
Bryce

post #9 of 19
Do you still have the box that the Chief came in? That's how ya cold smoke with a chief smoker. Oh wait you have the front loader but it could still be done. Racks go on top of smoker not in it. Box over the top of the racks. The directions that came with the chief smokers used to show how to do it.
post #10 of 19

congrats on a successful smoke.

post #11 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Do you still have the box that the Chief came in? That's how ya cold smoke with a chief smoker. Oh wait you have the front loader but it could still be done. Racks go on top of smoker not in it. Box over the top of the racks. The directions that came with the chief smokers used to show how to do it.

Hi DS, yes I still have the box. Problem is there's no actual rack that hold the shelves.... The brackets that hold each grate are welded onto the smoker. Direction book only shows cracking the door. I bought this early 2015.

Thanks!
Edited by Bryce - 12/27/15 at 6:23pm
post #12 of 19

Very nice!! Points 

 

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

 

DS
 

post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post
 

Bryce that cheese looks great to me,so if you are not happy with it.Ship it to me LOL Give that 3 or more weeks and the color will blow you away.

Richie 

Point for getting that much color with the door open

Don't know why my point didn't show but you got it now.Sorry

Richie

post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by driedstick View Post
 

Very nice!! Points 

 

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

 

DS
 

 

Thanks DS! We're still eating it. Had some today in fact. Happy New Year!

 

Bryce

post #15 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post
 

Don't know why my point didn't show but you got it now.Sorry

Richie

 

All good Richie.Thank you. Hope you're doing well!

Bryce

post #16 of 19
Looks good,I just opened some bacon cheddar that's just over a month old but I need a new box of crackers to know if I really like it or not. My cracker of choice is Chicken in a biscut nobody seems to like them but all the more for me!
post #17 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-one View Post

Looks good,I just opened some bacon cheddar that's just over a month old but I need a new box of crackers to know if I really like it or not. My cracker of choice is Chicken in a biscut nobody seems to like them but all the more for me!

 

Ah, I love Chicken in a Biscuit! I've never had them with smoked cheese though but it sounds awesome.

post #18 of 19
Nice cheese smoke Bryce, it looks great & some awesome color... icon14.gif That stuff just gets better with age, enjoy it man !
post #19 of 19
Thread Starter 

Thank you Justin!

 

Yeah, I think I'm going to let the rest age for a while longer. Then have a cheese fest!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cheese
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Cold Smoking › Cheese › Cheese Pics