But it doesn't mean I don't like 1.00 a pound smoked turkey.
Before I start. I came to a rude awakening, I assume that enhancement would have some set of rules as too how much when and where. Oh contrary, it depends on the individual fowl you pick up. I had an enhanced Butterball @3%, a non-enhanced at 5%, and an old hen at 19%. I suggest you remember to check the percentage when shopping, and read the fine print if needed.
So we all know I don't do holiday cooking. Let the kids make their own memories, and I enjoy listening...>LOL
1. It was a 14 lb Butterball @3% enhanced.
2. I brined it for 48 hours, with some cure added. Nothing special, salt, brown sugar, cure, whole cayenne (w/seeds), bay, maple extract and 2 quarts of cranberry juice. Topped off with good ol'H2O. Boiled then cooled with ice, extract and cured then added.
3. Dried turkey and placed in the reefer to dehydrate
4. Put the fan blowing in that skin (trying to form a pellicle).
5. Cranked the MES40 to 240 degrees (thats actually 220)
6. I cleaned the Maverick, turned it on and placed to remote in the MES40 to verify temp while heating up.
7. I loaded the MES Cold Smoker chimney with am 80% Apple/ 20% hickory.
8. Rub down the bird with olive oil and dust the inside w/ Tony's "More" spice
9. Placed the turkey in the MES40, opened the vent full walked away.
10. 2 hours later, insert the maverick temp. probe, bird at 99 degrees.
11. Turn the MES Cold Smoker on and close the vent by 1/2.
12. Check for TBS
Its been 12.5 hours and I think its it a stall....ROFLMAO 5 hours from 159 to 160 so far!
Lets do some pictures
After stabbing the probe in the bird (about 2 hours in to the smoke)
Vent reduced, BTW there is TBS there if you really stare.
6 hours into the smoke, lookin good! Smellin awesome!
I latest then for 6 more hours before I had to peek cause I never saw poulty stall before <shrugs> Buts its a damn beautiful colored bird!!
I kicked the MES cold smoker the top chips nearly aways stick. I know its going to happen and it makes a nice smoke towards the end of the cook. Can you say TBS?
Its now 12 and 1/2 hours into it and I am waiting patiently. BTW I almost didn't smoke it in the MES40, I should have changed over to the MES30. Better heat in the MES30 cause of the size. But mostly because when I opened that MES40 I was knocked back with that delightful aroma from that Prime brisket! I never one just sit and linger like that, course it was the maiden flight on this MES40. It smelled soo dang good!
I will continue as events transpire.