or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Smoking Bacon › Bacon with out sugar QUESTION ???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bacon with out sugar QUESTION ???

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Can you leave out the sugar when making bacon ? Just do it plain cured with pepper ?The sugar always seems to burn when I cook the bacon, even when I fry it low/slow.
I know one of you BACON LOVERS out there will answer me on this.

 

thanks in advance for a reply...,,HT

post #2 of 13
HT morning..... I use white sugar at 1%.... then the bacon is baked.... the 1% seems to cover the salt taste adequately... 2% salt BTW....

Then Bride, sometimes, brushes maple syrup on the almost fully cooked bacon to add some zip.... She bakes up a couple pounds at a sitting then stores in the refer and reheats when needed....

post #3 of 13

Hoity Toit, I had the same questions last year. Let me tell ya what I did. I had been cutting back on the  salt, you know being healthy. I even did and experiment with molasses as a sweetener because I heard it wouldn't burn. It does.

 

So I went back to Pop's original brine cure recipe, I didn't try to improve it in any way, and I made bacon. Turned out great and you didn't need to worry about burning. <shrugs>

 

I'll tell you what else I found. it seems the better you allow it to smooth/dehydrate in the reefer before packaging really helps, as does the length of stay in the freezer before use.  

 

My last bacon with out any Foamheart flavor modifiers fries fine without burning.

 

Pop suggested I try the Splenda recipe, I didn't because my bacon stopped burning but that might work also.

post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 

I'll try that on my next batch. I used pancake syrup on one belly a whhile back and the flavor was really good but it burned easily when frying. perhaps I should soak it better before smoking. 

I never thought about baking it...I will try that too. Thats less mess. Thanks.

post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post

HT morning..... I use white sugar at 1%.... then the bacon is baked.... the 1% seems to cover the salt taste adequately... 2% salt BTW....

Then Bride, sometimes, brushes maple syrup on the almost fully cooked bacon to add some zip.... She bakes up a couple pounds at a sitting then stores in the refer and reheats when needed....

I'll try that on my next batch. I used pancake syrup on one belly a whhile back and the flavor was really good but it burned easily when frying. perhaps I should soak it better before smoking. 

I never thought about baking it...I will try that too. Thats less mess. Thanks.

post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamheart View Post
 

Hoity Toit, I had the same questions last year. Let me tell ya what I did. I had been cutting back on the  salt, you know being healthy. I even did and experiment with molasses as a sweetener because I heard it wouldn't burn. It does.

 

So I went back to Pop's original brine cure recipe, I didn't try to improve it in any way, and I made bacon. Turned out great and you didn't need to worry about burning. <shrugs>

 

I'll tell you what else I found. it seems the better you allow it to smooth/dehydrate in the reefer before packaging really helps, as does the length of stay in the freezer before use.  

 

My last bacon with out any Foamheart flavor modifiers fries fine without burning.

 

Pop suggested I try the Splenda recipe, I didn't because my bacon stopped burning but that might work also.


I may have to go back to the wet brine again. I never thought about letting it age/dehydrate after smoking. The only thing I didnt like using the brine is that the meat had so much moisture in it the bacon steamed and splattered a lot like store bought does with all the water in it. I like both wet and dry methods but really prefer the dry better for some reason. thanks.

post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoity Toit View Post
 

I'll try that on my next batch. I used pancake syrup on one belly a whhile back and the flavor was really good but it burned easily when frying. perhaps I should soak it better before smoking. 

I never thought about baking it...I will try that too. Thats less mess. Thanks.

 

Pancake Syrup contains HFCS. Fructose has a low caramelization point, 230°F. A few degrees higher and it burns.  Sugar, sucrose, caramelizes at 340°F so is a better choice for Bacon...JJ. 

post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post
 

 

Pancake Syrup contains HFCS. Fructose has a low caramelization point, 230°F. A few degrees higher and it burns.  Sugar, sucrose, caramelizes at 340°F so is a better choice for Bacon...JJ. 


Thanks for that information JJ, next question though. Can I omit the sugar altogether or do I need it to feed the curing salts ?

post #9 of 13

Nope...Leave out the Sugar. It is the salt that speeds the penetration process. Sugar does help buffer the perceived saltiness in the mouth but a fry test and soaking will get you where you want to be...JJ

post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post
 

Nope...Leave out the Sugar. It is the salt that speeds the penetration process. Sugar does help buffer the perceived saltiness in the mouth but a fry test and soaking will get you where you want to be...JJ


Thanks JJ. I value your knowledge. Thanks again.

 

HT

post #11 of 13

Hoity Toit, I'm glad you asked that question.  I have the same problem with my bacon.  I haven't done the wet cure method, mostly because I don't have the refer space.  I do like the dry cure method.  I'm going to cut down on the sugar for my next bacon.  I have two bellies in my freezer just waiting to become bacon.

 

Thanks

Ed

post #12 of 13

I like Sweet on Ham but not Bacon, unless I am making candied Bacon for a recipe or snack. Leaving out the sugar gives more options down the road. Same with Maple flavored Bacon, good but not in every situation. I keep it simple, Salt, Smoke, Blk Pepper and flavor when needed...JJ

post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post
 

I like Sweet on Ham but not Bacon, unless I am making candied Bacon for a recipe or snack. Leaving out the sugar gives more options down the road. Same with Maple flavored Bacon, good but not in every situation. I keep it simple, Salt, Smoke, Blk Pepper and flavor when needed...JJ


yep, you got it, thats what we will do on the next batch, thanks.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Smoking Bacon
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Smoking Bacon › Bacon with out sugar QUESTION ???