or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Canning & Storage › Pickled Beets & Eggs new batch fresh from the garden
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pickled Beets & Eggs new batch fresh from the garden

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 

Picked up some Beets at the local market,3 Beets weighed 5 + pounds

Boiled these for 20 minutes then simmered till toothpick tender,

peeled and cut after cooling.Normally I roast them.

3 Red Onions

Sliced and waiting for the pickle brine

Pickling Brine I use these Tea Balls to hold the pickling spice

This is added to some of the water I saved from boiling the Beets

After bringing to a boil let simmmer for 10 minutes then pour onto the onions

Made 1 1/2 gal in the fridge for the night

Cooked up 40 eggs

Put the eggs in with the beets for another night

Needed some Mason jars so did up another 20 eggs

Layers of Beets,Onions and Eggs

Topped with brine.

These will be ready for Thanks Giving

Thanks for looking

Richie

 

7 days in the juice


Edited by tropics - 8/24/16 at 7:38am
post #2 of 24

Looks great!

 

How long do pickled eggs keep?

post #3 of 24

Nice job. I love them with a couple cold beers. My Wife banned me from eating them...She is not happy with my Gastrointestinal Response...:icon_eek:...JJ 

post #4 of 24
Richie, evening..... You got a vacant chair at the table ??? That looks soooooo good....
post #5 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeBurger View Post
 

Looks great!

 

How long do pickled eggs keep?

DB Wife thinks we have had some for around 6 months Thanks for the point I appreciate it

Richie

post #6 of 24

The eggs look great. Didn't see any mention of vinegar. What percentage do you use to the cooking water?

post #7 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post
 

Nice job. I love them with a couple cold beers. My Wife banned me from eating them...She is not happy with my Gastrointestinal Response...:icon_eek:...JJ 

JJ I think that is a big club Banded from Pickled Eggs LOL

Richie

post #8 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post

Richie, evening..... You got a vacant chair at the table ??? That looks soooooo good....

Dave we always have room for a guest.Thanks for the nice comment

Richie

post #9 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjk View Post
 

The eggs look great. Didn't see any mention of vinegar. What percentage do you use to the cooking water?

Here is the recipe

 

                 Pickled Beets & Eggs

 5 lbs. Beets ( Boil till Toothpick tender) save liquid

 8 Cups reserved liquid

 8 Cups Cider Vinegar

 8 Cups Sugar

 9 Table spoons Pickling spice

 4 1/2 teaspoon salt

 3 Medium Large Red Onions ( Optional)

 Boile Beets with about 3" of water above till toothpick tender about 40 min these 

took 1 hr.

Above is what I used for this batch Below can be adjusted to the amount you are making

                          Brine 

 2 cups reserved Beet juice

 2 cups Cider Vinegar 5% acidity

 2 cups sugar 

 3 Table spoons Pickling spice (store bought)

 1 1/2 teaspoons salt

 I always add extra Juniper Beeries,whole Allspice and some Cloves

 

Thanks for the kind words

Richie


Edited by tropics - 11/16/15 at 2:44am
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeBurger View Post
 

Looks great!

 

How long do pickled eggs keep?

 

They last a long time but after a month or two, I find they start to get Rubbery and a bit tough. Still tasty and fine to eat just texturally different. 

 

Just a note: If Fresh Beets are not available or you want to save time, Canned Sliced Beets with the liquid work just as well. One 14oz Can is the equivalent of one Large Beet and about 1/2C liquid (cheapo brands have the most). You can add water if needed...JJ

post #11 of 24

Nice Job, Richie!!Thumbs Up

 

Those looks Great, and Must be Mighty Tasty!!!:drool-------------:points:

 

I cheat:

We (Mostly Mrs Bear) eat store bought Pickled Beets from Amish Country.

then when the beets are gone, Mrs Bear Hard Boils enough Eggs to refill the jars for me.

We reuse the juice about 3 times before chucking it.

 

 

Bear

post #12 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post
 

 

They last a long time but after a month or two, I find they start to get Rubbery and a bit tough. Still tasty and fine to eat just texturally different. 

 

Just a note: If Fresh Beets are not available or you want to save time, Canned Sliced Beets with the liquid work just as well. One 14oz Can is the equivalent of one Large Beet and about 1/2C liquid (cheapo brands have the most). You can add water if needed...JJ

JJ Thanks the rubbery part I don't mind,that is why I did not mention it.Most time I have certain friends I do give a jar and get it back like really quick LOL. The store bought pickled beets worked when I lived in an apartment.

Richie

post #13 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
 

Nice Job, Richie!!Thumbs Up

 

Those looks Great, and Must be Mighty Tasty!!!:drool-------------:points:

 

I cheat:

We (Mostly Mrs Bear) eat store bought Pickled Beets from Amish Country.

then when the beets are gone, Mrs Bear Hard Boils enough Eggs to refill the jars for me.

We reuse the juice about 3 times before chucking it.

 

 

Bear

Nothing wrong with the ones you posted on a plate.Thanks for the point Brother I appreciate it.

Richie

post #14 of 24
Thread Starter 

This is after 7 days in the juice color right thru 

 

Thanks for looking

Richie

post #15 of 24
Nice job Richie, that looks real tasty ! icon14.gif
post #16 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterinHoleBrew View Post

Nice job Richie, that looks real tasty ! icon14.gif

Justin thanks they were great with a couple cold ones,thanks for the point 

Richie

post #17 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeBurger View Post
 

Looks great!

 

How long do pickled eggs keep?

 

They last a long time but after a month or two, I find they start to get Rubbery and a bit tough. Still tasty and fine to eat just texturally different. 

 

Just a note: If Fresh Beets are not available or you want to save time, Canned Sliced Beets with the liquid work just as well. One 14oz Can is the equivalent of one Large Beet and about 1/2C liquid (cheapo brands have the most). You can add water if needed...JJ

JJ Can't get any fresher then these LOL 

My first time growing Beets

 

Some big ones

8 Beets made 2 very full 1/2 gal jugs

Richie

post #18 of 24

Nice! I hope to get a garden in next year. Now If I could only get the move completed...JJ

post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post
 

JJ Can't get any fresher then these LOL 

My first time growing Beets

 

Some big ones

 

 

Richie

 

Hard to Beat Beets like that !!!

 

Looks almost like a Deer Heart !!

 

Bear

post #20 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post
 

JJ Can't get any fresher then these LOL 

My first time growing Beets

 

Some big ones

 

 

Richie

 

Hard to Beat Beets like that !!!

 

Looks almost like a Deer Heart !!

 

Bear


Wish it was LOL Found a great deal on eggs 2 doz. x lrg 99 cents

Richie

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Canning & Storage
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Canning & Storage › Pickled Beets & Eggs new batch fresh from the garden