or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Question too the few up tonight...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Question too the few up tonight...

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

I just unwrapped a chuck roast to season for a smoke tomorrow.

Do they come in a bone in style??

May be a dumb question, but I have not had a bone in chuck before.

Bmudd, Phil, anyone out there please give your thoughts.

Thanks!!

post #2 of 8

A bone-in version does exist, but may be hard to find. Most supermarkets are cutting boneless primals these days. Beef loins and short loins are just about the only bone-in beef I see year round, At the holidays we may bring in bone-in ribeye for standing rib roast but even those are hard to sell. At about 2 lbs per bone a 3-5 bone roast adds up real quick.

 A privately owned meat shop may be your best bet to find one.

post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosparky View Post
 

A bone-in version does exist, but may be hard to find. Most supermarkets are cutting boneless primals these days. Beef loins and short loins are just about the only bone-in beef I see year round, At the holidays we may bring in bone-in ribeye for standing rib roast but even those are hard to sell. At about 2 lbs per bone a 3-5 bone roast adds up real quick.

 A privately owned meat shop may be your best bet to find one.

We had a steer butchered a while back. Been saving the chuckys for smoking.

Opened this one to find a nice bone in it.

Not complaining, just questioning the butcher as we have had a few "discrepancy's".

 

Thanks Mo!

post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin218R View Post
 

We had a steer butchered a while back. Been saving the chuckys for smoking.

Opened this one to find a nice bone in it.

Not complaining, just questioning the butcher as we have had a few "discrepancy's".

 

Thanks Mo!

 

I am like you, I have been around butchering as a kid, but I didn't learn or remember any of the good stuff. That was not what they let me do....LOL

 

I use this and find it a great help when a beef meat is involved.

 

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/meatcharts_photos/beef.pdf

 

And here's what I use for pork. They help me because so many names are geographic specific.

 

http://www.albertapork.ca/pdf/cut_chart.pdf

 

Hope it helps

post #5 of 8
Sometimes, a chuck will be sawn through the front shoulder blade... the blade can look like a "7" and they may call it a 7 bone roast... same bone that is in a pork butt.... you can see it in bone in "country" style pork ribs, or something like that...



post #6 of 8
I always wondered where the other 6 bones were!
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post

Sometimes, a chuck will be sawn through the front shoulder blade... the blade can look like a "7" and they may call it a 7 bone roast... same bone that is in a pork butt.... you can see it in bone in "country" style pork ribs, or something like that...



Thanks Dave!! Looks like what I have. Went on the smoker at 9:30 this morning.

post #8 of 8

Late to the party but...Yes that cut is not uncommon. It is farther away from the Ribs compared to a Chuck Roll or Chuck Steaks so much tougher. Tasty but only good for Pot Roast or low and slow smoking to be Pulled. Perfect for what you are doing...JJ

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Question too the few up tonight...