or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Poultry › Smoked Injected Turkey Breast ~ Foamheart
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Smoked Injected Turkey Breast ~ Foamheart

post #1 of 53
Thread Starter 

Well with the prices of sandwich meat going ridiculously high, it cooling down a little, and my smoker falling out of shape due to inactivity, it was time to smoke!

 

Thawed out the breast for two days in the reefer, opened the bag then cleaned and dried the breast and back in the reefer to dehydrate a little.

 

 

 

Today I break out the flavors..........

 

 

 

 

Injected, the juice stays in, that means no pooling.......

 

 

 

 

I oil and sauce the outside and the chest cavity

 

 

 

 

Now you can see some of the perforations. Back in the reefer.

 

MES30, its the one that will come up to the proper temps! Vent closed, 275 preheat, load the AMPs with Hickory and Apple, Start it and let it burn for 30 mins.

 

 

 

 

Insert the bird! Reduced the temp to 250

 

 

 

 

Insert the AMPs, Open the vent and the reload tube to catch a better draft

 

 

 

 

 

 

Walk away for 1 hour and play with other stuff in the kitchen. Come back check for smoke rising, adjust the discharge vent. And probe the breast.

 

 

Close her up and set the alarm at 165 IT. Walk away and go fix supper.

 

 

 

And then I I made, and into the oven

 

 

 

And out the reefer I got........

 

 

 

 

Then I checked on the Breast,,,, smells awesome.

 

 

 

Supper is ready

 

 

 

Then the alarm goes off, Ding fries are done, ding fries are done........

 

 

 

 

Great evening.... got the breast chillin in the reefer. Will slice for lunchmeat tomorrow.

 

Had sausage biscuits for supper, the kitchen is clean and I am just killin back chillin. Full as a tick too BTW. If I keep practicing I am gonna learn how to make biscuits!

 

Summary:

 

9+ lb enhanced turkey breast,

Dried and injected

Smoked at with AMPs Hickory & Apple @ 250  

Approx.. 3 hours, to 165 IT

 

2 days to thaw, one to dry, smoked, and one day to redistribute, then one to slice.

 

 

That's it. Too simple, Tomorrow I'll try and remember to capture some Bear view. Thanks for checking it out.


Edited by Foamheart - 10/14/15 at 10:45pm
post #2 of 53
Kevin, that turkey breast looks divine!

But I want to know more about those sausage biscuits! Stuff the meat in and cook? Any cheese involved? Gravy? Red eye gravy? Oh man those are probably killer!
post #3 of 53

Looks like some great Sammich's comin'...JJ

post #4 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Kevin, that turkey breast looks divine!

But I want to know more about those sausage biscuits! Stuff the meat in and cook? Any cheese involved? Gravy? Red eye gravy? Oh man those are probably killer!

 

Thank you Case. Before Pop went to bed he asked for another biscuit and syrup instead of ice cream....LOL

 

Biscuits go with any meal. Wasn't mush yeast bread made when I grew up but a load a biscuits were demolished. That is some of Pop's sage sausage. A bit if melted cheese would go great with a biscuit and sausage. Redeye gravy involves ham or cured meat and coffee. But I have made many a meal of biscuits and milk gravy. That brings up sausage gravy which is another way to enjoy biscuits. We just had sausage biscuits ......

 

And then for dessert your choice of a biscuit with real fancy maple syrup, Steens cane syrup, Blackstrap molasses, honey, Strawberry jam, strawberry jelly, peach jam, peach jelly, kumquat marmalade, muscadine jelly, Satsuma (a type of tangerine I believe) jelly, apple jelly, LOL..... I make a load a jellies.

 

Biscuits is like Mac & Cheese or chowder... just simple comfort food.

 

My biscuits will never be as good as my Pop's, but I am learning. Soon as I learned to ditch the measuring devices the biscuits got better.....LOL

post #5 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post
 

Looks like some great Sammich's comin'...JJ

 

Thank you Chef, LOL.... maybe Friday. I got all busy tonight looking for old foods that Pop would like and remember. Can't remember the last time I saw a egg salad sandwich, so I made egg salad. Maybe a bed of lettuce with a wedged tomato and a spoonful of egg salad in the middle.

 

I have never rested meat over night in the reefer after the cook I assume it will really firm it up so its more easily sliced. When I let stuff rest I use the counter with a dish towel on top.

 

Nothing ventured nothing gained right?

post #6 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamheart View Post

Thank you Case. Before Pop went to bed he asked for another biscuit and syrup instead of ice cream....LOL

Biscuits go with any meal. Wasn't mush yeast bread made when I grew up but a load a biscuits were demolished. That is some of Pop's sage sausage. A bit if melted cheese would go great with a biscuit and sausage. Redeye gravy involves ham or cured meat and coffee. But I have made many a meal of biscuits and milk gravy. That brings up sausage gravy which is another way to enjoy biscuits. We just had sausage biscuits ......

And then for dessert your choice of a biscuit with real fancy maple syrup, Steens cane syrup, Blackstrap molasses, honey, Strawberry jam, strawberry jelly, peach jam, peach jelly, kumquat marmalade, muscadine jelly, Satsuma (a type of tangerine I believe) jelly, apple jelly, LOL..... I make a load a jellies.

Biscuits is like Mac & Cheese or chowder... just simple comfort food.

My biscuits will never be as good as my Pop's, but I am learning. Soon as I learned to ditch the measuring devices the biscuits got better.....LOL
measuring devices has no place in biscuit making.
post #7 of 53

I could eat that any time of the day or night. Hope the bird slices nice for ya.

Richie

 

:points:

post #8 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank2000 View Post


measuring devices has no place in biscuit making.

 

Ya know Hank, I always thought it strange that the good cooks weren't automatically chefs. Then I decided that the chefs could share their proportions. That was the difference.

 

The stuff like biscuits, cornbread, dressing, pie crust, etc..... just never have a recipe. I tried and tried to make one of those Pillsbury Bake-Off pie crusts all light and flaky and buttery and picture perfect. I have made ONE, only one and I couldn't recreate it in my life. So now I just make pie crusts, they are good, but not Pillsbury bake-off good. As long as they are better than the pre-fad'd out the box kind its ok with me.

 

I just came back from the kitchen and noticed that there was only 5 left from last night, That's a pretty good showing for my biscuits. LOL Course no one wanted breakfast.... He didn't even stir at the mention of sausage biscuits......ROFLMAO!

post #9 of 53

:points:

Thanks for sharing more fine food!

Wish I could find a breast like that around here.  I always look.  I found a tiny frozen one the other week, it was great, but I want a BIG one like yours!

 

 

Turkey Breast, that is....

post #10 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post
 

I could eat that any time of the day or night. Hope the bird slices nice for ya.

Richie

 

:points:

 

Thank you sir........

post #11 of 53
Thread Starter 

So I sliced it............

 

 

Left side

 

 

Right side

 

 

For the gumbo pot........

 

 

 

Some notes to self.

 

1. Don't keep trying to do like everyone else, 220 is "the" smoking temperature, anything else is just wrong and I won't like the result. I don't know if it was the temperature, the breast, or the over night chill, I am guessing more of the first two possibilities but........... The meat is borderline dry.  No its not like some of those Piccadilly sliced breast turkey plates dry, but definitely not juicy.

 

2. It would have sliced thinner with a slicer

 

3. Smoking it on the bone is better than fileting it and then smoking. Far less shrinkage, but the filets were much juicier (but that may be due to other considerations). 

 

4. For the first time ever, there wasn't enough injected into the meat. I used over 1/2 C of injection with little or no pooling.

 

5. I think I should have added some charcoal to the chip tray, the charcoal does imbue with long lost flavor.

 

6. Maybe a good slathering with mayo would have protected the moisture better than the oil rub.

 

Just thoughts to think about next time.

post #12 of 53

Kevin Them slices look fine, to hide in between two slices of bread.I agree the mayo would have kept it a lot moister.I left my SIL in charge of watching a bird,came home and it was 195* IT still moist inside.Nice job 

 

Richie

post #13 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSteve View Post
 

:points:

Thanks for sharing more fine food!

Wish I could find a breast like that around here.  I always look.  I found a tiny frozen one the other week, it was great, but I want a BIG one like yours!

 

 

Turkey Breast, that is....

 

Thank you. I am thinking now of what we used to call open faced sandwiches. A piece a toast with meat and gravy. Its not dog food dry, its just a lot dryer than I would serve to someone else. Most of the folks I know only eat white meat when I do it because mine is not ever dry.

post #14 of 53
Very nice , Kevin ! icon14.gif

That looks marvelous ! The Bisciuts are a nice addition , love them under Turkey and gravy .

With Breast prices , I should get some . We like Dressing with it ( makes good T&D sammies ).

Thanks for the look , and . . .
post #15 of 53

Foam ,great post as always and excellent looking food!

post #16 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post
 

Kevin Them slices look fine, to hide in between two slices of bread.I agree the mayo would have kept it a lot moister.I left my SIL in charge of watching a bird,came home and it was 195* IT still moist inside.Nice job 

 

Richie

 

Thanks Richie.

 

But its a great tune-up about this time of year. Reminds you of stuff and insures you remember were everything was last left....LOL

post #17 of 53

I sure enjoyed your post FH.  Everything looks fantastic. 

 

I need to stop reading these posts when hungry. 

post #18 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolbbq View Post

Very nice , Kevin ! icon14.gif

That looks marvelous ! The Bisciuts are a nice addition , love them under Turkey and gravy .

With Breast prices , I should get some . We like Dressing with it ( makes good T&D sammies ).

Thanks for the look , and . . .


 Thank you sir, You know I love dressing better than near anything. I have been wanting to try something I saw a couple a years ago on TV. A cook used a waffle maker and a mixture of shredded turkey, giblet gravy and dressing with a little egg to bind it all up and made Turkey and dressing waffles. It looked outstanding the he added some maple syrup....OMG...right over the top!!

 

I have got to try this but the turkey and giblet gravy never last long enough. I make enough dressing to feed a college fraternity! Did I mention I like dressing? LOL

post #19 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMoon View Post
 

Foam ,great post as always and excellent looking food!

 

Thanks man I really appreciate it. You got the larder stocked and ready for the freeze?

post #20 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by One eyed Jack View Post
 

I sure enjoyed your post FH.  Everything looks fantastic. 

 

I need to stop reading these posts when hungry. 

 

First thanks, I have learned it best to cruise the board after supper, then it looks great but you don't jump up and run to the kitchen and start pulling out pans. LOL

 

Oh, and its just affix to get worse, its that time of year.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Poultry
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Poultry › Smoked Injected Turkey Breast ~ Foamheart