I recently purchased a Masterbuilt 20070910 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker. After reading several threads, I decided to buy the Amazen Pellet Smoker 5x8 tray as well as the CookinPellets 40PM Perfect Mix Smoking Pellets. The smoker has been seasoned and last week I tried to smoke some chicken breasts but failed miserably. There was smoke coming out of the smoker which I thought was the pellets but turned out to be the juices dropping on the tray and steaming. The pellets went out and after doing some research, I am going to be attempting the mailbox mod this afternoon.
I plan on purchasing a brisket to smoke tomorrow but needed some advice.
1. Other than applying rub to the brisket and leaving it in the fridge the night before, what tips do you have for preparing the brisket? Is there a preparation method you think works best?
2. If I apply rub to the brisket, do I also need to apply sauce? If so, when is the best time to apply it?
3. What is the best temperature to smoke the brisket at? I have seen people say anything from 200-250F.
4. What is the ideal internal temperature? I've seen people say anything from 165-205F.
5. Any other tips or warnings about smoking a brisket for the first time?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!