Smoked a pork shoulder last weekend. Had good flavor and tenderness but I was disappointed that it didn't pull very well, instead it was very chunky. Here were my steps throughout the process:
- 9.5 pound shoulder, I did not trim or cut the shoulder at all. Day before the cook I applied rub (Brown Sugar/Paprika based rub) and sealed it in plastic and left in refrigerator
- Smoked on the cooker at 225-250. I did place the shoulder fat cap down, which I probably should have left the fat cap up so the fat didn't just drain into the water pan.
- After about 4 hours I placed the shoulder in a foil pan with some apple juice in the bottom, injected some apple juice into the shoulder and covered it in foil for the remainder of the cook.
- After 10 hours it still was only at 180 deg and I had people coming for dinner in an hour and a half so I removed it from the smoker and put it in the oven at 300 to get the temp up. It was at 185 when I removed it from the oven.
- I only let it set for about 20 minutes before pulling the meat apart.
My first thought is I didn't get the internal temp high enough and started pulling the meat too soon?
Any other thoughts?? It did taste great, just wasn't pulling the way I wanted it to.