or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Smoked pork shoulder
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Smoked pork shoulder

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

So I have a few questions regarding if this is normal or not. A few weeks ago I smoked a pork shoulder at about 9 pounds. I started at about 5:30am assuming it would take a really long time. I have the electric masterbuilt smoker. I went back to sleep and woke up and the internal temp was a lot warmer than I anticipated when I woke up. It never seemed to have a stall or anything and before I knew it had reached 201 internal temp after roughly 8 hours or so. It "looked" done concerning the meat aspect but didnt have the dark bark around it. I'll post a picture below. This was done cooking at 225 degrees.

 

I meant to write this sooner when the times were fresh in my mind, but I had gotten busy so some times may not be spot on. Today i started another shoulder, this time at 250 based on a thread recently posted, to try and get that crispy bark around it. It has been about 4 hours and the internal temp is reading 180 already. This is based on the thermometer that comes with the smoker as a meat probe. Anyone have any advice or is this pretty normal? Thanks for any help.

 

post #2 of 9
First off, did ya verify your therm is accurate ? Doing the boiling water test will check your probes for accuracy !
post #3 of 9

If you are going by the MES control panel for your cooking temp and the meat probe.They are most likely wrong, you need to get a Maverick or some other digital probe, to find out what the true temps are.As for bark I do not see any kind of rub on that meat,it needs a rub.

post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 

I did not check the accuracy but I am starting to think that's the issue.What's the best valued thermometer to use? As for rub, I did rub it in mustard and fully coated a dry rub on it.

post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post

If you are going by the MES control panel for your cooking temp and the meat probe.They are most likely wrong, you need to get a Maverick or some other digital probe, to find out what the true temps are.As for bark I do not see any kind of rub on that meat,it needs a rub.
Yup...don't trust the control panel. When I was using our MES40 I would set the temperature at 225* and monitor only the meat with a Thermoworks TW8060. When I did try to get the cooking chambers temperature dialed in I had nothing but a headache. Fact of life...it's temperature control and the among it floats leaves a bit to be desired.
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by justind0301 View Post

I did not check the accuracy but I am starting to think that's the issue.What's the best valued thermometer to use? As for rub, I did rub it in mustard and fully coated a dry rub on it.

I have two therms I use personally...

One being the Mav ET-732

http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MAVET%2D732

Also have an Igrill2

http://www.amazon.com/iDevices-IGR0009-iGrill2-Bluetooth-Thermometer/dp/B00NC4KU42

I like them both !
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterinHoleBrew View Post


I have two therms I use personally...

One being the Mav ET-732

http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MAVET%2D732

Also have an Igrill2

http://www.amazon.com/iDevices-IGR0009-iGrill2-Bluetooth-Thermometer/dp/B00NC4KU42

I like them both !

awesome, thanks for the help

post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 

went ahead and ordered the maverick 733, only ten bucks more and comes with the bear claws

post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by justind0301 View Post
 

went ahead and ordered the maverick 733, only ten bucks more and comes with the bear claws


That is a good choice and it will pay off,in your cooks.What kind of rub did you use,and were you spritzing the meat?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pork
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Smoked pork shoulder