or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Tri Tip...help me out please
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tri Tip...help me out please

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

Hello Folks,

 

Its the time of year where I like to start trying new things on the smoker....or anything on the smoker really.  I have always really wanted to try smoking a tri tip but I have a few questions.

 

1.  What is the best seasoning to put on the meat?  Seems like a lot of folks just use SPOG.

2.  What is the desired temp?  I have read where some folks take it off at 128 and some take it off all the way up to 155.  I like my beef med. rare but just curious what temp produces the best flavor.

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT'

3.  Where the hell do you buy tri tip?!?!?  I have looked several places but can't find anything!  Any body in the Iowa area have any advice for me?  Is there another roast that will work just as well in the place of tri tip?

 

Any info is much appreciated!

 

Shelton

post #2 of 17
Hey, I'll give ya my 2 cents ! Lol

1. I season with SPOG !
2. I pull mine at round 135-138* IT, then rest ! Makes it nice warm, tender & tasty ! Just DO NOT over cook a TT, if it's a little too rare for ya.... Ya can always have some au jus warmed up & set a few slices in it for a few to get it how ya like it !
3. TT is available bout anywhere round here & is labeled Tri Tip.... Though I've heard a few folks on here saying they find it with the name Bottom Sirloin Roast or Bottom Sirloin Butt ! If ya can't find it that way, I'd ask your local butcher & see if they can set ya up !
post #3 of 17

I concur with the above poster but I take mine off at 125 and sear on a screaming hot grill for a minute or two on each side. This is called reverse sear and it works really well with this cut of beef. Make sure you let it rest for a half hour before slicing. I have used sirloin tip with great results if you just can't find tri tip and flank or skirt works well too. Make sure you test your meat thermometer for accuracy so you know it is right. SPOG for me and sometimes a bit of rosemary if I have it.

post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterinHoleBrew View Post

Hey, I'll give ya my 2 cents ! Lol

1. I season with SPOG !
2. I pull mine at round 135-138* IT, then rest ! Makes it nice warm, tender & tasty ! Just DO NOT over cook a TT, if it's a little too rare for ya.... Ya can always have some au jus warmed up & set a few slices in it for a few to get it how ya like it !
3. TT is available bout anywhere round here & is labeled Tri Tip.... Though I've heard a few folks on here saying they find it with the name Bottom Sirloin Roast or Bottom Sirloin Butt ! If ya can't find it that way, I'd ask your local butcher & see if they can set ya up !

Thanks for the info! Do you do the SPOG on it thick like you would rub a pork butt? If I'm going to try the reverse sear, do I need to pull at like 125 and then finish to the 135-140 area? Thanks again!

Shelton
post #5 of 17

One more note. Make a mental note which way the grain of the meat is going on your tip so when it's done you can slice across the grain. Some make a score mark on each end before cooking for later reference. Tri tip has the grain going in two different directions from each point.

post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberjet View Post

I concur with the above poster but I take mine off at 125 and sear on a screaming hot grill for a minute or two on each side. This is called reverse sear and it works really well with this cut of beef. Make sure you let it rest for a half hour before slicing. I have used sirloin tip with great results if you just can't find tri tip and flank or skirt works well too. Make sure you test your meat thermometer for accuracy so you know it is right. SPOG for me and sometimes a bit of rosemary if I have it.

Thanks for the info! When you sear it, does it raise the temp or does the center stay pretty consistent? Also what kind of wood goes well with this? I have cherry, hickory and apple. Thanks!

Shelton
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelton573 View Post


Thanks for the info! When you sear it, does it raise the temp or does the center stay pretty consistent? Also what kind of wood goes well with this? I have cherry, hickory and apple. Thanks!

Shelton

Cherry makes for a very red color which is great and I find that the med rare look goes edge to edge when you do it like this. You can smoke at a lower temp like 180 to get more smoke flavor as they don't take a lot of time to do. The sear does raise the temp enough to get med rare and part of the rest time the meat will carryover a little bit too. Tent with foil for 10 minutes and then wrap up tight for the rest of the rest to arrest the cooking process. Use your probe throughout so you know exactly where you are at. You will be in tri tip heaven. I should add london broil done this way can be very darn good too and it is quite a bit cheaper most of the time. Thin slices across the grain.

post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelton573 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterinHoleBrew View Post

Hey, I'll give ya my 2 cents ! Lol

1. I season with SPOG !
2. I pull mine at round 135-138* IT, then rest ! Makes it nice warm, tender & tasty ! Just DO NOT over cook a TT, if it's a little too rare for ya.... Ya can always have some au jus warmed up & set a few slices in it for a few to get it how ya like it !
3. TT is available bout anywhere round here & is labeled Tri Tip.... Though I've heard a few folks on here saying they find it with the name Bottom Sirloin Roast or Bottom Sirloin Butt ! If ya can't find it that way, I'd ask your local butcher & see if they can set ya up !

Thanks for the info! Do you do the SPOG on it thick like you would rub a pork butt? If I'm going to try the reverse sear, do I need to pull at like 125 and then finish to the 135-140 area? Thanks again!

Shelton

I personally just sprinkle with SPOG, I don't coat it as I love the taste of TT & just want the seasoning to compliment, not overpower... But as I say, that's just me. As tj says, reverse searing is a nice option as well... The final IT my fam likes is round 140* ! Ya will figure out after a few what IT your fam likes ! If ya do the RS, like tj said pull at 125* IT & after the sear you'll likely be round the 135* IT range !

Also a little tip as they can be tricky to slice when ya first start out.... Before seasoning, find the direction of the grain as it'll go in a few different directions & just kinda lightly score the meat it the direction your gonna slice ! That way after its done you'll not have any issues trying to slice in the right direction !

Good luck & post some pics if ya can ! icon14.gif
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterinHoleBrew View Post


I personally just sprinkle with SPOG, I don't coat it as I love the taste of TT & just want the seasoning to compliment, not overpower... But as I say, that's just me. As tj says, reverse searing is a nice option as well... The final IT my fam likes is round 140* ! Ya will figure out after a few what IT your fam likes ! If ya do the RS, like tj said pull at 125* IT & after the sear you'll likely be round the 135* IT range !

Also a little tip as they can be tricky to slice when ya first start out.... Before seasoning, find the direction of the grain as it'll go in a few different directions & just kinda lightly score the meat it the direction your gonna slice ! That way after its done you'll not have any issues trying to slice in the right direction !

Good luck & post some pics if ya can ! icon14.gif


Thanks!  It is only me in the house and I like it med rare so that is what we are shooting for lol.  Thanks for the tip on the scoring for direction!  I'm am hoping to the rain and wind stays away so I can try it and my pork but this weekend but it's not looking good.  I will for sure post pics when I do it whether it is a success or failure. 

 

Shelton

post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 

If I can't find a tri tip what is an alternative to it?  London broil worth a shot?

 

Shelton

post #11 of 17
Nothing compares to Tri Tip! That being said a London Broul can be tasty too. They cook quick so try to keep you smoker around 180 or less to maximize the smoke time.
post #12 of 17

Living in Iowa as well one of the few places that I have been able to find it regularly is honestly Wal-Mart.  It's usually right around their whole packer briskets (again about the only place I can find those around me as well).

post #13 of 17
Why settle for just the tri-tip? Smoke the whole cow!!!

8d567f6c8ea1bdc405e74d6211cad511.jpg

One piece at a time...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jirod View Post
 

Living in Iowa as well one of the few places that I have been able to find it regularly is honestly Wal-Mart.  It's usually right around their whole packer briskets (again about the only place I can find those around me as well).


That's where I am going after work to see if they have any!  The WM just south of me ALWAYS has packers so maybe they will have them.  That's where I had to buy a butt from on Wednesday that I am planning to smoke sunday.  What does WM usually charge per pound for tri tip?  Thanks!

 

Shelton

post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshrarebit View Post

Why settle for just the tri-tip? Smoke the whole cow!!!

8d567f6c8ea1bdc405e74d6211cad511.jpg

One piece at a time...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


A good friend of mine has about 175 head of black angus that I always joke with him saying not to think too much into it if one or seven of them come up missing!

 

Shelton

post #16 of 17

Can't remember for sure, haven't bought one for awhile. Don't think they are outrageous though.

post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Ok, I ran around to several places and made SEVERAL calls and no tri tip in the area. A lot of places had London broil but they were only about a pound and I want to do a bigger cut than that. Any other suggestions?

Shelton
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Tri Tip...help me out please