This looks like a great forum to learn about smoking meat and sharing experiences. I am in the process of buying my first smoker. Based on the research, I have narrowed it down to the Big Green Egg, or the Horizon Offset Barrel Smoker. Most of the smoking will be done at our cottage near Algonquin Park in central Ontario.
I would appreciate some help in choosing a smoker, so I have compiled a list of needs and circumstances:
- we entertain large groups and enjoy cooking
- I would like to make my own sausages for smoking
- we have an abundance of hardwood for smoking
- in some instances, the smoking would take place in cold weather
- it would be nice to be able to transport a smoker from the cottage to our house, but not critical
- mostly interested in smoking pork, beef and sausages
- I enjoy experimenting with dry rubs and sauces ( I have a lot of experience with BBQ's)
Any advice would be appreciated; additionally, if you think there is a better smoker than the two that I have selected, please let me know.
Many thanks in advance for your time and advice.
All the best,