or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › First time Smoked Kielbasa fail almost
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First time Smoked Kielbasa fail almost

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Made fresh the other day, when I went to get the casing there were none left.(failed part) Had plenty of collagen casing so they are slim Kielbasa

Used 85/15 mix for these Pork -Fat

Stuffed using my Jerky Canon

 

5 lbs. in the casing to sit over night in the fridge.


Hanging in smoker to dry a little more.


Smoked at 130* for the first hr. then increased 10* each hr.

took 8hrs to hit 154* water bath to cool

 


Thanks for looking

 

       Smoked
 1 Cup non fat dry milk

 1 level tsp. cure #1
 
 2   Tbsp. salt

 1/2 Tbsp. sugar

 1 Lrg. clove garlic ( 1tsp granulated )

 1/2 Tbsp. black pepper

 1 tsp. marjoram

 8 oz. ice water

 5 lbs ground pork.

 

edited to add recipe


Edited by tropics - 12/4/14 at 7:57am
post #2 of 12

I wish my failures would turn out so well. Nice looking sticks !

post #3 of 12

Nice....improvise, adapt & overcome.....how was the taste, texture compared to the casing you normally use? Willlie

post #4 of 12

That looks tasty to me :biggrin:. Nice recovery.

Happy smoken.

David

post #5 of 12

Looks great!!!  The collagen casings came through for you.  Nice color as well.  Reinhard

post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Willie View Post
 

Nice....improvise, adapt & overcome.....how was the taste, texture compared to the casing you normally use? Willlie


Chef Willie the collagen are always a little chewy at first will see in a week or so. The taste is almost what I was needs another 1/2tsp garlic powder. I am very pleased with it and I owe everyone who has posted on here a Big Thanks

post #7 of 12
Something else I would like to learn how to do. Thanks for sharing.
post #8 of 12
I'd say that's a win! Any sausage I get to eat is a win... Those that go to the dogs are fails, those the dogs won't even eat, I don't admit to! icon_redface.gif

Inkjunkie, hang around in here, and you'll be making sausage in no time!

I tell people all the time, if you're a person who's cooked for a while, you've already made sausage, you just haven't stuffed or smoked it yet. If you've made hamburgers, meat loaf, or anything else with ground pork, turkey, beef, or chicken, in which you've mixed in seasonings, you've made sausage!

Stuffing it into casings just makes it look like the sausage that comes to mind when mentioned.

Hang out in here, ask questions, and experiment!
post #9 of 12

Looks great nice way to come out of a bad situation and make it a good one. 

 

DS

post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyBuzzard View Post

I'd say that's a win! Any sausage I get to eat is a win... Those that go to the dogs are fails, those the dogs won't even eat, I don't admit to! icon_redface.gif

Inkjunkie, hang around in here, and you'll be making sausage in no time!

I tell people all the time, if you're a person who's cooked for a while, you've already made sausage, you just haven't stuffed or smoked it yet. If you've made hamburgers, meat loaf, or anything else with ground pork, turkey, beef, or chicken, in which you've mixed in seasonings, you've made sausage!

Stuffing it into casings just makes it look like the sausage that comes to mind when mentioned.

Hang out in here, ask questions, and experiment!
I will be hanging around, LOTS to learn. Something that we MUST learn to make is beef chorizo. Ernestina, my loving wife, is Mexican. She spent all of her life in AZ until we moved up here in 08. A grocery store in AZ makes the best stuff we have ever had. Chorizo is available here in Eastern Washington but it is just not the same. I know chorizo is not bbq related but hoping to find a recipe some where.
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkjunkie View Post

I will be hanging around, LOTS to learn. Something that we MUST learn to make is beef chorizo. Ernestina, my loving wife, is Mexican. She spent all of her life in AZ until we moved up here in 08. A grocery store in AZ makes the best stuff we have ever had. Chorizo is available here in Eastern Washington but it is just not the same. I know chorizo is not bbq related but hoping to find a recipe some where.

Chorizo is a sausage, and lots of us in here make it! Do a search at the top of the page for beef chorizo, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!
post #12 of 12

Chorizo is made in many countries with many formulations. Russ Lambert wrote an extensive treatise on the many varieties over on Wedliny Domowe.http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/index.php?c=5 Probably have to search for it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › First time Smoked Kielbasa fail almost