Hey All, this Tuesday I am doing my first smoke. a 10 lbs beef brisket. I have family coming over so it should be pretty awesome, I hope.
So here is my plan, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
#1. Make a basic rub.
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Kosher Salt
- 1/3 Cup Paprika
- 1/3 Cup Chili Powder
- 1/3 Cup Black Pepper
#2. Brisket Prep (Monday around 0600)
- Rinse Brisket, trim fat cap to 1/4 inch, score the fat cap and apply the rub, lots a rub, I want a good crust.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
#3. Into the Smoker! (Tuesday around 0100 hours)
- Pull out brisket, unwrap and let it sit for about 40 minutes.
- Prep my MES 30 smoker. 240 degrees with Mesquite chips / pellets (if I can find a Amazen Pellet Smoker by then, if not, its going to be a long night).
- Dinner is at 7, Brisket in the smoker by 0200, assuming a 15 hour smoke, out by 1700. Then in the cooler all wrapped up.
#4. Probe the Meat! (around 0700 hours - 5 hours into the smoke)
- When I wake up, check on Brisket, and insert prob thermometer.
#5. It's done when it's done.
- Hopefully it's done before 1900 hours. But if it is done before dinner time, pull it out, double wrap in foil and toss it in the cooler, all wrapped up and ready to go.
Anyway, that's my plan, there are many like it, but this one is mine. :)
Edited by 22GunSlinger - 11/9/14 at 11:06am