SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Mediterranean Spare Ribs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mediterranean Spare Ribs

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

Two Slabs of pork spare ribs with the 3-2-1 method @ 225*F with a Mediterranean herb rub:

 

3 T. dried tarragon

3 T. dried oregano

3 T. dried dill

3 T. dried thyme

3 T. dried rosemary

3 T. coarse salt

2 T. lemon pepper

1 T. dried minced garlic or flakes

 

After removing the membranes I cut off the flap and rib tips from the bones and rubbed them with evoo.  I used three separate shakers to apply this rub because the salt, lemon pepper and garlic are too heavy to stay mixed with the dry herbs and drop to the bottom.  I prefer to apply salt by itself and not mix it in with any rubs, so that went on first.  Then I mixed the minced garlic and lemon pepper together and used all of it.  I mixed all the dried herbs together and used about 2/3rds of it. 

 

 

 

Abts I made the other day to hold me over while the ribs smoke.  The jalapeno holder just barely fit under the elevated rack.  I prefer cutting the package of bacon into 3rds to get it crispy.  It also keeps me from eating a half pound of bacon.  I just lay a piece of crispy bacon along side of the pepper.

 

 

 

Smoker is up to temp and ready for the Mulberry wood for the first three hours.  The Mulberry grows like a weed behind my shed in the background.  The doors fell off the shed so I was going to tear it down but after staining the deck, trimming hedges and yard work the new door is a blue tarp and next years project.

 

 

 

Bones on the left.  Tips and flaps on the right.

 

 

 

First three hours are done and ready to be foiled.

 

 

 

After two hours in the foil back they go on the grates for an hour.

 

 

 

I couldn't quite make it an hour.  Time to dig in.

 

 

 

One of the most juicy tender spare ribs I've had.  It comes right off the bone with each bite but not the fall off the bone with one bite (perfect.)  Each herb is very distinct and the Mulberry is a great mild fruit wood.  If you haven't tried Mulberry wood and you can get it, give it a try.  The Mulberry tree that fruits may have a little sweeter smoke to it but both are very good.   This is a great savory change up on a dry rib for those that don't like sauced ribs. 

post #2 of 10
Tasty looking ribs!
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Tasty looking ribs!


Thanks.  I'll be doing these to change things up from the traditional spicy/sweet BBQ rub.

post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr K View Post
 

Two Slabs of pork spare ribs with the 3-2-1 method @ 225*F with a Mediterranean herb rub:

 

3 T. dried tarragon

3 T. dried oregano

3 T. dried dill

3 T. dried thyme

3 T. dried rosemary

3 T. coarse salt

2 T. lemon pepper

1 T. dried minced garlic or flakes

 

After removing the membranes I cut off the flap and rib tips from the bones and rubbed them with evoo.  I used three separate shakers to apply this rub because the salt, lemon pepper and garlic are too heavy to stay mixed with the dry herbs and drop to the bottom.  I prefer to apply salt by itself and not mix it in with any rubs, so that went on first.  Then I mixed the minced garlic and lemon pepper together and used all of it.  I mixed all the dried herbs together and used about 2/3rds of it. 

 

 

 

Abts I made the other day to hold me over while the ribs smoke.  The jalapeno holder just barely fit under the elevated rack.  I prefer cutting the package of bacon into 3rds to get it crispy.  It also keeps me from eating a half pound of bacon.  I just lay a piece of crispy bacon along side of the pepper.

 

 

 

Smoker is up to temp and ready for the Mulberry wood for the first three hours.  The Mulberry grows like a weed behind my shed in the background.  The doors fell off the shed so I was going to tear it down but after staining the deck, trimming hedges and yard work the new door is a blue tarp and next years project.

 

 

 

Bones on the left.  Tips and flaps on the right.

 

 

 

First three hours are done and ready to be foiled.

 

 

 

After two hours in the foil back they go on the grates for an hour.

 

 

 

I couldn't quite make it an hour.  Time to dig in.

 

 

 

One of the most juicy tender spare ribs I've had.  It comes right off the bone with each bite but not the fall off the bone with one bite (perfect.)  Each herb is very distinct and the Mulberry is a great mild fruit wood.  If you haven't tried Mulberry wood and you can get it, give it a try.  The Mulberry tree that fruits may have a little sweeter smoke to it but both are very good.   This is a great savory change up on a dry rib for those that don't like sauced ribs. 


As you can see I just saw this thread almost a year late. Outstanding looking ribs. I find it interesting you went with a Mediterranean-style rub instead of the good ol' American styles. With that flavor profile you could save some rib meat, add some Greek tzatziki sauce and make gyros out of it, maybe add some cold cucumbers to it.

post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by daRicksta View Post
 


As you can see I just saw this thread almost a year late. Outstanding looking ribs. I find it interesting you went with a Mediterranean-style rub instead of the good ol' American styles. With that flavor profile you could save some rib meat, add some Greek tzatziki sauce and make gyros out of it, maybe add some cold cucumbers to it.


What a coincidence!   I'm doing three slabs of back ribs with this recipe for this Mother's Day weekend.  I was just cueing things up for this midweek smoke.  I was holding the lemon peel (in this recipe) when SMF sent me your notification.  My Mom always wants to go out on Mother's Day so I usually try to do some other meal that weekend.  I live right between St. Louis and Chicago fifteen minutes from my parents home.  My sister comes up from St. Louis (less than a three hour drive) on Fridays on holiday weekends so we usually fill up the entire weekend with visiting.    My Mom can't handle spicy heat so this savory recipe will be perfect.  I'll do the 2-2-1 method with the last hour in their oven (not sure the day we'll have these.)  My girlfriend bought one of those horrifying gyro kits a couple of weeks ago which included the mystery meat and tzatziki sauce.  I love that refreshing sauce.  I'll get some fresh tzatziki sauce at the Kroger deli with some cucumbers.  We always have a fresh vegetable tray and the dip that comes with it is barely eaten.  This sauce will be a great change.  Thanks for the idea. 

-Kurt

post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr K View Post
 


What a coincidence!   I'm doing three slabs of back ribs with this recipe for this Mother's Day weekend.  I was just cueing things up for this midweek smoke.  I was holding the lemon peel (in this recipe) when SMF sent me your notification.  My Mom always wants to go out on Mother's Day so I usually try to do some other meal that weekend.  I live right between St. Louis and Chicago fifteen minutes from my parents home.  My sister comes up from St. Louis (less than a three hour drive) on Fridays on holiday weekends so we usually fill up the entire weekend with visiting.    My Mom can't handle spicy heat so this savory recipe will be perfect.  I'll do the 2-2-1 method with the last hour in their oven (not sure the day we'll have these.)  My girlfriend bought one of those horrifying gyro kits a couple of weeks ago which included the mystery meat and tzatziki sauce.  I love that refreshing sauce.  I'll get some fresh tzatziki sauce at the Kroger deli with some cucumbers.  We always have a fresh vegetable tray and the dip that comes with it is barely eaten.  This sauce will be a great change.  Thanks for the idea. 

-Kurt


You're welcome, Kurt. Can I suggest something further? Instead of buying pre-made tzatziki sauce at Kroger, find an online recipe and make it yourself. OK, we haven't done it yet but we have cookbooks with recipes for it and it's incredibly easy. Tzatziki sauce is one of the reasons I love gyros.

 

Those ribs will be awesome. And I tell ya, the more I smoke in my MES 30 with the AMNPS the more I love using them both.

post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by daRicksta View Post
 


You're welcome, Kurt. Can I suggest something further? Instead of buying pre-made tzatziki sauce at Kroger, find an online recipe and make it yourself. OK, we haven't done it yet but we have cookbooks with recipes for it and it's incredibly easy. Tzatziki sauce is one of the reasons I love gyros.

 

Those ribs will be awesome. And I tell ya, the more I smoke in my MES 30 with the AMNPS the more I love using them both.


Sounds simple to make.  When I make fat free yogurt I use a half gallon of skim milk.  Heat it in a glass bowl in the microwave to over 180*F (doesn't scorch this way, takes about 25 min.) then let it cool to 100*F.  Then pitch in my favorite single serving container of yogurt, stir well, cover with plastic wrap, wrap in a towel and put in a 250-300*F preheated oven for 12+hrs to incubate (make sure the oven is off after you put it in.)  The whey floats on top and can be poured off and I still drain in a mesh strainer till I get the consistency I like.  That whey just seems to keep coming out of no where.  Then stir it up into a smooth consistency.  Since the cucumbers in the tzatziki sauce recipe need to be salted, pressed and drained to remove water I can make a thicker yogurt.  I guess the water is an ongoing issue with homemade sauce, needing to be drained after sitting in the refrigerator.  This is a yogurt recipe my parents got from their Indian neighbors.  She got it the day before they moved (close call.)  You can use whatever milk you want.  It beats buying a yogurt machine.  I think I'll try this tzatziki recipe:

  http://greek.food.com/recipe/tzatziki-sauce-greek-cucumber-yogurt-sauce-304166

No special reason other than it was the first recipe on Google.

-Kurt

post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr K View Post
 


Sounds simple to make.  When I make fat free yogurt I use a half gallon of skim milk.  Heat it in a glass bowl in the microwave to over 180*F (doesn't scorch this way, takes about 25 min.) then let it cool to 100*F.  Then pitch in my favorite single serving container of yogurt, stir well, cover with plastic wrap, wrap in a towel and put in a 250-300*F preheated oven for 12+hrs to incubate (make sure the oven is off after you put it in.)  The whey floats on top and can be poured off and I still drain in a mesh strainer till I get the consistency I like.  That whey just seems to keep coming out of no where.  Then stir it up into a smooth consistency.  Since the cucumbers in the tzatziki sauce recipe need to be salted, pressed and drained to remove water I can make a thicker yogurt.  I guess the water is an ongoing issue with homemade sauce, needing to be drained after sitting in the refrigerator.  This is a yogurt recipe my parents got from their Indian neighbors.  She got it the day before they moved (close call.)  You can use whatever milk you want.  It beats buying a yogurt machine.  I think I'll try this tzatziki recipe:

  http://greek.food.com/recipe/tzatziki-sauce-greek-cucumber-yogurt-sauce-304166

No special reason other than it was the first recipe on Google.

-Kurt


I've bookmarked it for future use and as I said we've got similar recipes in some of our cookbooks.

 

Kurt, for some reason I thought you were a newbie but I've realized that you really know your stuff. I don't think we've ever made yogurt at home, mostly because we don't have time to devote to it--but it's on the To Do Someday List. Whenever possible we always make our own sauces when preparing dishes. We do almost all our daily cooking from scratch because the goal for my wife and I have been to make restaurant-quality dinners for ourselves so we don't have to go out to dinner. Our daughter brags to her friends about her "gourmet chef" parents. We choose not to correct her, of course.

post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by daRicksta View Post
 


I've bookmarked it for future use and as I said we've got similar recipes in some of our cookbooks.

 

Kurt, for some reason I thought you were a newbie but I've realized that you really know your stuff. I don't think we've ever made yogurt at home, mostly because we don't have time to devote to it--but it's on the To Do Someday List. Whenever possible we always make our own sauces when preparing dishes. We do almost all our daily cooking from scratch because the goal for my wife and I have been to make restaurant-quality dinners for ourselves so we don't have to go out to dinner. Our daughter brags to her friends about her "gourmet chef" parents. We choose not to correct her, of course.


The yogurt makes itself overnight.  Just an hour of your time to heat milk and cool to 100*F.  Remember to take it out of the oven the next morning.  Put it in the refrigerator and let it sit till you can get time to drain it.  I'd think fresh milk just needs to be heated to 110*F then let cool a little before adding the starter yogurt.  It has already been pasteurized.  The Indian lady brought it to a boil but I don't like to babysit it till it cools.  After reading the Tzatziki recipe and reviews I'm going to really drain the whey and add the ingredients to the yogurt. Then add back whey if needed.  I work out of my home so I'm lucky to be able to check SMF posts and cook all at the same time (I still have to plan those days in advance.)

-Kurt

post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr K View Post
 


The yogurt makes itself overnight.  Just an hour of your time to heat milk and cool to 100*F.  Remember to take it out of the oven the next morning.  Put it in the refrigerator and let it sit till you can get time to drain it.  I'd think fresh milk just needs to be heated to 110*F then let cool a little before adding the starter yogurt.  It has already been pasteurized.  The Indian lady brought it to a boil but I don't like to babysit it till it cools.  After reading the Tzatziki recipe and reviews I'm going to really drain the whey and add the ingredients to the yogurt. Then add back whey if needed.  I work out of my home so I'm lucky to be able to check SMF posts and cook all at the same time (I still have to plan those days in advance.)

-Kurt


I can imagine the setup you have in your kitchen. If you're like my wife and I you have it filled with appliances and gadgets and your pantry is fully stocked. We won't be doing homemade yogurt anytime soon. My wife is still working on maturing the sourdough starter I've been nagging her for 30 years to make. I recently found my dad's 50 year-old sourdough pizza crust recipe so at some point the wife and I will have a little pizza throwdown. We both work at home, too, so we have the time to make meals from scratch.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pork
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Mediterranean Spare Ribs