SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Smoker Builds › Other Builds › Is Diamond Plate Better Than Standard Sheet Metal?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is Diamond Plate Better Than Standard Sheet Metal?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

I've been doing my research on competition pits and the company I think I'm gong to purchase from just changed over to diamond plate metal.  Is there any benefit to this or is it just a fad?

 

 

Diamond Plate

Standard Metal

post #2 of 15
Diamond Plate is more expensive..... Looks nice..... Won't cook the food any better....


Do some research...... those smokers look familiar.... one outfit made and sold smokers that don't work.... poor air flow..... poor design...

Post the outfits site and where you found them......
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 

The company I'm looking at is HBT Welding.  The model number's HBT Reverse Style 400.  Here is a pic of the actual pit (minus the diamond plating).  Have you heard of these guys?

 

post #4 of 15
We have many members that are familiar with the smokers I'm speaking...... The reason I'm mentioning this is........ The house in the background and the smoker design look very close to the smokers that don't work..... let's wait for everyone to chime in here......


I looked at their web site and IMO, not a good deal... Opinions are like ............. we all have one.....
post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 

I appreciate the heads up!!!!  I would hate to throw that much money away on a smoker with bad airflow.

post #6 of 15
post #7 of 15

Jeffed,  there are mixed reviews on the smokers from HBT/Greasyhill/whateverthethirdnameis.   Some people say they are awful, others say that they just need to be tweaked/modified a bit, and lastly, some say HBT has fixed their problems (at least on one of their models)

post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post

Jeffed,  there are mixed reviews on the smokers from HBT/Greasyhill/whateverthethirdnameis.   Some people say they are awful, others say that they just need to be tweaked/modified a bit, and lastly, some say HBT has fixed their problems (at least on one of their models)

Thanks D9..... I couldn't remember the names... Below are pictures of their inventory..... Looks like the same smoker design to me on the majority of the pictures.....

Now I know I would stay away from them.......


http://www.hbtwelding.com/

http://www.greasyhillcustoms.com/menu.html
post #9 of 15
OK...... I knew I had seen that picture.... check this thread and the house and smoker picture..... Same picture, different names....


http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175187
post #10 of 15
Don't know what they are thinking, sure is not about smoker efficiency....

The added surface area created by the diamond plate will dispurse heat away from the cooker, maybe not that much, but why even use it at all?
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribwizzard View Post

Don't know what they are thinking, sure is not about smoker efficiency....

The added surface area created by the diamond plate will dispurse heat away from the cooker, maybe not that much, but why even use it at all?

 

 

Sure does look nice in my opinion.   If added heat dispersal is minimal, I'd go for it.

post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post


Sure does look nice in my opinion.   If added heat dispersal is minimal, I'd go for it.
It is a good smoker D! I have one and it smokes food just fine. If you know how to work a fire and control your machine you can cook on anything. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. As far as everyone knows I'm a French model and have twenty million dollars in the bank! Need a loan?
post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 

This is a great discussion guys, I really appreciate all the opinions and links!  It sounds like before I put my money down I need to take a field trip to see it in person.  Brooksy, I'm happy to hear you are having success with this model of smoker.  Did you have to make ant mods to it?

post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffed76 View Post

This is a great discussion guys, I really appreciate all the opinions and links!  It sounds like before I put my money down I need to take a field trip to see it in person.  Brooksy, I'm happy to hear you are having success with this model of smoker.  Did you have to make ant mods to it?
I haven't made any mods to my smoker and I don't think you have to mod any smoker if you know what you are doing and all that takes is practice. Make your decision based on what you would want in a smoker and don't go by the opinions of people that have never cooked on a piece of equipment. Have fun with your smokes an you'll turn out awesome food
post #15 of 15
I know this is digging up an old thread, but I feel it is important to let people know that HBT is a reputable company. Their business has grown exponentially over the last 2 years. I don't own an HBT, but I know several people who do. They are all satisfied with the product. I am saving up to purchase one of their Gameday models next spring.

The guy who started HBT supposedly worked for one of the "other" mentioned companies, and didn't like how the smokers were being designed nor how the company was being operated. He has solid backing by another business man, so like I said, reputable.

They currently have a large backlog, so if interested you might want to call to see how long to get one. The owner will talk to you and go over all of the design with you. They can do any custom work required also.

You can research them on YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter. Very good quality for the price.

I have my eyes on the Ultimate GameDay.

Anyway, hope this helps?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Other Builds
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Smoker Builds › Other Builds › Is Diamond Plate Better Than Standard Sheet Metal?