It looks like Landmann came out with a new 40" Electric Smoker.
The best price I could find was $554.99, which is about $255 more than the MES. But if it works better, I might spring for the extra dough.
Best Price - http://www.rakuten.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=254308847
After a brief review, these are what I see as the pro's/con's:
- 255" more cooking area (1230-975)
- Closer to centered heating element which should provide more even temperature
- Larger wood chip box
- Vent of top of smoker
- Larger Drip tray with easy access
- Looks sturdier/better built IMO
- Doesn't appear to have a remote control
- Costs $255 more than the MES 40
- It appears brand new, so no reviews that I have been able to find.
- The Landmann says that it has a "Heavy steel construction and fully insulated smoking chamber". However, it does not appear that the door is insulated.
I'm not planning on getting a new smoker until this spring. But I am going to seriously consider this one. Hopefully in the spring the price will have come down and may be available in Sam's/Costco type stores where I can buy locally with a warrantee if it doesn't work out.
Here are some pics: