or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Poultry › Grilling Chicken › Smoke Failure, Barbecue Rosemary Chicken
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Smoke Failure, Barbecue Rosemary Chicken

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

It has gotten above bone chilling cold here for the first time in awhile and we put up the tree.

 

 

As it isn't frigid, it was obviously time to smoke. I like my chicken crispy but my Bradley just doesn't crank out enough heat. I decided to try putting my AMNPS in my Weber grill with just one burner lit. No go. That one burner just sucks the oxygen and the AMNPS won't stay lit. So, I was into just straight grilling on the Weber. 

 

We had a small frying chicken. I made a rub with:

 

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled

 

I spatchcocked the chicken and put rub over both sides and under the breast skin.

 

 

I then put it over the middle burner of the Weber. The middle burner was off and the front and back were on low which kept it about 350 F. I cooked it for 40 minutes with the skin up and then turned it and cooked it with the skin down for 20 minutes. That brought the IT to 170. 

 

 

I then cut it into chunks and it was time to eat.

 

 

 

The verdict: It turned out very tasty but I miss the smoke. I think I am back to smoking it in the Bradley and crisping the skin on the Weber. Or, if I beg just right, I might talk She Who Must Be Obeyed into a pellet smoker.

 

I did a Youtube video of hte project if you would like to see it.

 

 

Disco

post #2 of 13
Disco, morning..... chicken looks good..... Try a couple hours of smoke and into a 500 degree oven for 15 minutes or some reasonable facsimile ......

Dave
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post

Disco, morning..... chicken looks good..... Try a couple hours of smoke and into a 500 degree oven for 15 minutes or some reasonable facsimile ......

Dave

Thanks, Dave. I have smoked for a couple of hours and then onto a medium high barbecue with good results. I think it is a similar idea.

 

Disco

post #4 of 13

Great video Disco,  Thanks and the chicken looks good.  I am going to have to try a chicken that way.

 

Stan

post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDYMANSTAN View Post
 

Great video Disco,  Thanks and the chicken looks good.  I am going to have to try a chicken that way.

 

Stan

Thanks, Stan. It was very tasty but it would have been better with smoke. :th_crybaby2:

 

Disco

post #6 of 13
Hey Disco, looks good. You could always make a foil pouch full of chips/pellets and throw it over the BBQ burner or coals and get some smoke flavor. Just poke a few holes in the top to let out the smoke. Thats what I have been doing on my propane grill. It's not as good as a full on smoker, but still good flavor.
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN offroader View Post

Hey Disco, looks good. You could always make a foil pouch full of chips/pellets and throw it over the BBQ burner or coals and get some smoke flavor. Just poke a few holes in the top to let out the smoke. Thats what I have been doing on my propane grill. It's not as good as a full on smoker, but still good flavor.

Thanks, offroader. I do have a smoker box I use while grilling but didn't use it this time. You are right though, I should have.

 

Disco

post #8 of 13
Hello Disco,

The video was very well done with a nice recipe for the chicken. My wife and I are going to try it this weekend and find a smoke solution.

Nice job

Scott
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trying2smokeTex View Post

Hello Disco,

The video was very well done with a nice recipe for the chicken. My wife and I are going to try it this weekend and find a smoke solution.

Nice job

Scott

Thanks. I'd love to hear what you did for the smoke.

 

Disco

post #10 of 13

How did I miss this? Chicken is my favorite smoke. I am thinking though this is a covert op to influence SWMBO into a pellet smoker. I can tell by the picture with the chicken in hand and the disgust plainly written upon your face,  that you would have thrown it out had you not be afraid if drawing the wolves in to the yard. <chuckles>

 

That snow really looks tranquil. Course I didn't have to shovel.......

 

Nice looking chicken man. Ain't it nice to mess up and still have outstanding vittles?

post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamheart View Post
 

How did I miss this? Chicken is my favorite smoke. I am thinking though this is a covert op to influence SWMBO into a pellet smoker. I can tell by the picture with the chicken in hand and the disgust plainly written upon your face,  that you would have thrown it out had you not be afraid if drawing the wolves in to the yard. <chuckles>

 

That snow really looks tranquil. Course I didn't have to shovel.......

 

Nice looking chicken man. Ain't it nice to mess up and still have outstanding vittles?

It is true that poor homemade results often surpass convenience food! As for me misleading the missus, I am just not smart enough.

 

Disco

post #12 of 13

Disco, Disco, Disco!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

This is TREMENDOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Your tree, and Bride, are both beautiful!

 

The food photos are divine!

 

And this video is so helpful and fabulous, and it's so fun to meet you as well/connect a name to a face, and what a treat!

 

Thank you for this! And Merry Christmas (early) to you and yours and  with your sensational wine!!!

 

I enjoyed this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So informative! So great to see! And So Delicious!

 

Cheers!!!!!!!!! - Leah

post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Elisheva View Post
 

Disco, Disco, Disco!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

This is TREMENDOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Your tree, and Bride, are both beautiful!

 

The food photos are divine!

 

And this video is so helpful and fabulous, and it's so fun to meet you as well/connect a name to a face, and what a treat!

 

Thank you for this! And Merry Christmas (early) to you and yours and  with your sensational wine!!!

 

I enjoyed this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So informative! So great to see! And So Delicious!

 

Cheers!!!!!!!!! - Leah

Thanks, Leah. I'm blushing. It is true the bride is beautiful which continues the mystery of why she hooked up with a chewed up piece of grizzle like me and, even more perplexing, why she hangs around.

 

I hope you have a Merry Christmas, and that the new year brings you joy and the company of kind people. For us, we hope you keep posting and taping. We all need your inspiration.

 

Disco

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Grilling Chicken
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Poultry › Grilling Chicken › Smoke Failure, Barbecue Rosemary Chicken