JCBigler and BrazosBrian...if you're looking for true central-Texas style barbecue, where beef is king, and it's all about the meat, in the Dallas area, I've got a few places that meet that criteria.
1. Pecan Lodge - I have not eaten there, but I know a lot of barbecue people that say their brisket is even better than Franklin's. So, they are on my list to eat at as well.
2. Lockhart Smokehouse - True Kreuz Market style barbecue, and part of the Schmidt family from Lockhart...the barbecue capital of Texas. There's also one in Plano
3. Slow Bone - I've eaten their brisket at a barbecue fest in Tyler, and they also hit the mark.
4. Bet the House Barbecue - Is actually in Denton, but is another good one.
5. Hutchins Barbecue - Is in McKinney and also produces that great central Texas style brisket.
I mention the joints in Denton, Plano, and McKinney, since they are all essentially part of Dallas nowadays.
These places should get you going though...ENJOY!!
I would have to add, since it appears to be an all Texas crowd "Cattleman's in El Paso" and Papa's in Dallas