or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Grilling Pork › (edited) Is this really a pork sirloin roast & how to cook??? (5 lbs)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

(edited) Is this really a pork sirloin roast & how to cook??? (5 lbs)

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 

 

(I've made a few changes I first posted this.....)

 

This is a stock pic.  Mine's still in butcher wrapper.  Don't want to unwrap until actually ready to season & grill.  But this is identical to how mine looks, with the exception of it missing some meat along the bottom, along the bone (which is what I had previously described incorrectly as a separate bone sticking out the top).

 

It is labeled SIRLOIN PORK ROAST TRAYED but I'm not sure that is correct since I got many different images when I Googled 'sirloin pork roast'. It took me a long time to find this pic.

 

So my first question is - IS this actually a sirloin pork roast? 

 

The reason I don't trust the label is that where I got it doesn't usually sell 'butcher packaged" meats.  They typically only sell (not very good) pre-packaged meat in really tight shrink-wrap shipped in from somewhere else. 

 

But mine is fresh meat, flopped in a tray (hence, the word TRAYED the mgr explained) and loosely wrapped with Saran wrap and labeled in-store…..which is not the norm for them.  I didn't even know they HAD a butcher...lol.

 

And the last time I got meat like this from there, it was a GREAT deal and very fresh but was mislabeled (so I ended up cooking it wrong).  So that is why I ask....

 

#1 - IS this a Pork Sirloin Roast?

 

And #2 – Whatever it is, please describe the cut....as far as lean, fatty, dry, juicy, etc.  Do I 'low & slow" or "fast & hot"?

 

#3 – And with either of those methods, please give me timing for a 5 lb. bone-in roast.

 

Thanks for the help.  The sooner the better.  I really want to grill it tonight since I don't trust leaving it around too long and don't want to have to freeze it, if possible. 

 

Thanks!

Bonnie


Edited by bonnie b - 6/19/13 at 11:10am
post #2 of 34
I believe that is just a pork roast normally that would be cut into chops. but you can do it either way fast and hot or low and slow, but remember it doesn't have too much fat so it's gunna cook rather quickly anyways. As for timing, well there really is no timing. You're gunna have to go off temp.

And I'd personally take that to about 145*-ish IT, then let it rest for at least an hour and slice away into it. Should be good. Hope i helped.
post #3 of 34
Thread Starter 
Yes, u did help T&B!! Thanx so much because now I know I don't have to allow for a long cooking time. And now that u pointed it out, I can see where it could be cut into chops. Don't know why I didn't see that before...lol. I will be doing whole roast, tho.

Thanx again,
Bonnie
post #4 of 34
No problem bonnie! Glad to help out. As a roast or into chops I guarantee it'll still make for good eatin in my book. Lol.yahoo.gif
post #5 of 34

LOL---Yup, it looks like a little Piggy's answer to the unmatched Beef Standing Rib Roast (AKA Prime Rib), and I would smoke it just like a Prime Rib.

 

200* to 225* until IT hits 145*------Rest, slice, and devour.

 

 

Bear

post #6 of 34
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the input, guys !!  Now that we've figured out the cut and that it's lean and can dry out....how would you prep it?  Like...any rub, marinade, injection or any special tricks? 

 

Never got to cook it tonight.  Friend popped in (stayed forever....lol) and didn't want to deal with with him standing over my shoulder in the kitchen telling me how HE would do it (and he doesn't even grill...WTF?).  So it stayed in the fridge.  I AM ready to do anything to it tonight to get it ready for tomorrow nite so open to any suggestions.

 

Bear in mind, I'm no pro.  Just using my 'new' (couple months old) gas Pro-Griller (no offset).  Kinda hate those plates -- liked my old grill with lava rock that died on me MUCH better. And I use a smoker box.  I do low & slow, but with that set-up, I'm not 'really' smoking my meat as much as it's cooking from gas heat, so bear that in mind when helping me out.

 

Thanx,

Bonnie

post #7 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie b View Post

Thanks for the input, guys !!  Now that we've figured out the cut and that it's lean and can dry out....how would you prep it?  Like...any rub, marinade, injection or any special tricks? 

 

Never got to cook it tonight.  Friend popped in (stayed forever....lol) and didn't want to deal with with him standing over my shoulder in the kitchen telling me how HE would do it (and he doesn't even grill...WTF?).  So it stayed in the fridge.  I AM ready to do anything to it tonight to get it ready for tomorrow nite so open to any suggestions.

 

Bear in mind, I'm no pro.  Just using my 'new' (couple months old) gas Pro-Griller (no offset).  Kinda hate those plates -- liked my old grill with lava rock that died on me MUCH better. And I use a smoker box.  I do low & slow, but with that set-up, I'm not 'really' smoking my meat as much as it's cooking from gas heat, so bear that in mind when helping me out.

 

Thanx,

Bonnie

 

Personally, since it's Pork, I would coat it with yellow mustard (you won't taste the mustard), then one of my favorite rubs. Cover it with plastic wrap, and let it sit in the fridge for at least a couple hours to over night.

Then I would put it in the smoker @ 225* until the internal temp gets to 145*. Then remove it and foil it for a half hour, or longer. Slice & eat.

On a gas grill, I would do it indirect.

 

Hope this helps,

Bear

post #8 of 34
yeh its definitely going to have to be done indirect. and the things you can do to prep that hunk of deliciousness are endless...you can do what bear suggested, which ive done also, or you can place it in a marinade, which ive also done. or you can just rub it down with whatever you prefer and put 'er right in the hotbox...again, which ive also done..lol. but remember what youre going for is temperature..i wouldnt take it over 145*..or else youre just gunna have a piece dry pork... and thats no bueno. lol.
post #9 of 34
Thread Starter 
Thanx guys!! That helps. Will make my mind up soon and get on it! Will try to remember to take pics.

And Bear, I always wondered about that mustard thing. I'm not that fond of straight mustard so I've never tried that method for fear of tasting it. Good to know you don't.
post #10 of 34
just think of the mustard as a glue...lol. its just there so the rub has something to stick to.
post #11 of 34
Thread Starter 
LOL....mustard glue. Yum! But I 'get it'...

I've also seen on one of the cooking shows (either America's Test Kitchen or Cook's Country) that spices need oil to facilitate releasing its flavor(some kinda chemical reaction) so I usually rub the meat with olive oil first.

Think I'm gonna google some marinade recipes and start with that. Although. I did a killer pork loin long time ago (in oven) with some kinda peanut butter & soy sauce paste slathered on it. Think it had some garlic too. Sounds gross but made a sort of crust on it and was really tasty. Kinda an Asian flair. Not in the mood for Asian, tho...lol.
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie b View Post

LOL....mustard glue. Yum! But I 'get it'...

I've also seen on one of the cooking shows (either America's Test Kitchen or Cook's Country) that spices need oil to facilitate releasing its flavor(some kinda chemical reaction) so I usually rub the meat with olive oil first.

Think I'm gonna google some marinade recipes and start with that. Although. I did a killer pork loin long time ago (in oven) with some kinda peanut butter & soy sauce paste slathered on it. Think it had some garlic too. Sounds gross but made a sort of crust on it and was really tasty. Kinda an Asian flair. Not in the mood for Asian, tho...lol.

 

ahh yess...the beauty of GOOGLE....lol. yeh not everyone uses mustard. theres a few smokers in my family who swear by mustard, but ive gotten same results with just a little rub of oil or heck just a rinse under cold water for that matter..lol.it all turns to paste anyways..haha. getting rub to stick to anything i'm smoking has never been a problem.
post #13 of 34
Thread Starter 
Yeah...google & my tablet & smartphone. Duno what id do without em...lol.
post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie b View Post

Thanx guys!! That helps. Will make my mind up soon and get on it! Will try to remember to take pics.

And Bear, I always wondered about that mustard thing. I'm not that fond of straight mustard so I've never tried that method for fear of tasting it. Good to know you don't.

 

Yup, Bonnie (also my Sister's name),

Won't taste the Mustard (glue).

I use yellow mustard on Pork, and Worcestershire (thick) on Beef. Some peeps use EVOO.

 

 

Bear

post #15 of 34
Thread Starter 

Bear....so sis's name is Bonnie. Kool !!  We "Bonnie's" are good folk....lol. 

 

I think I'm gonna try a simple crusted herb rub recipe I found with rosemary, sage, mashed garlic,salt & pepper, and EVOO.  Or at least I'm putting it together now then gonna smell and taste it to see if I like the end result.  Rosemary can be VERY overpowering sometimes.  I'm also considering marinating, since that rub will mostly just flavor the outside.

 

I know what I keep forgetting to ask.  What's a good price per lb for a bone-in pork sirloin roast?  Wondering if I got a good deal @ $1.49/lb?

post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie b View Post

Bear....so sis's name is Bonnie. Kool !!  We "Bonnie's" are good folk....lol. 

 

I think I'm gonna try a simple crusted herb rub recipe I found with rosemary, sage, mashed garlic,salt & pepper, and EVOO.  Or at least I'm putting it together now then gonna smell and taste it to see if I like the end result.  Rosemary can be VERY overpowering sometimes.  I'm also considering marinating, since that rub will mostly just flavor the outside.

 

I know what I keep forgetting to ask.  What's a good price per lb for a bone-in pork sirloin roast?  Wondering if I got a good deal @ $1.49/lb?

 

$1.49 sounds good to me for just about any kind of Pork or Beef !!!!

 

 

Bear

post #17 of 34
Thread Starter 
Thanx! I thought it was...but wasnt sure. Been so long since I bought a roast. Got enough in the freezer...lol.
post #18 of 34

Considering the chops that come from it are usually 2.50-3.50 per lb on sale, I'd say you did good!

post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie b View Post
  What's a good price per lb for a bone-in pork sirloin roast?  Wondering if I got a good deal @ $1.49/lb?

 

I just paid $.88/lb for bone in pork sirloin roast yesterday.

 

Researching how to smoke it and it seems simple enough. Now going to have to figure out how to slice it with the bones and such.

post #20 of 34
Thread Starter 
Well, here we go...finally!! Lol






Decided on a lemon/herb marinade and then herb rub. But wondering if I should shave off some of the thicker part of fat cap? Or just leave and score it so marinade can penetrate? I know it needs fat to keep juicy but gonna try a new method I found.

Gona post this & switch over to PC to type rest. This cell phone KB is acting up....brb!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Grilling Pork
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Grilling Pork › (edited) Is this really a pork sirloin roast & how to cook??? (5 lbs)