or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Tonights Baby Backs with q-view
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tonights Baby Backs with q-view

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

Did up 2 1/2 racks of back ribs tonight. Probably some of my best ribs yet.

Wife loved them when I took a rack to work for her supper. - Nothing like tormenting co-workers biggrin.gif

Smoked them with hickory and a tweaked memphis dust rub.

They were on the smoker for about 4 1/2 hrs. Temps running 240 - 250 for the duration.

Fall off the bone tender, nice smoke ring, a little salty sweet bundles of deliciousness.

 

Also, I finally resolved the issue I have occasionally had with my chips catching fire. I added an 1/8" steel plate that I got when I first bought the smoker. It sits about 3 inches above the burner. You can see it best in the second picture. I set my cast iron chip pan on top of it. Worked like a charm! Not once did the pan catch and I was able to leave it uncovered. I was able to get about an hour of smoke per load in the 8 inch pan. Only draw back is that the plate acts as a huge heat radiator so my temps were a little higher than usual - normally I run at 225 - 230 with ease. However, its not a big adjustment to work with and will be nice when I fire up the smoker during colder weather.

 

Bill

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #2 of 10

Bill, morning..... looks really good to me.....  Should taste good.....   A needle valve, on the incoming propane, line will help with getting lower temps if you are so inclined.......

 

Dave

post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 

Thanks Dave.

 

I will look into a needle valve for sure.

The burner is out of a turkey fryer and the hose is showing signs of age so I am looking at this for a replacement:

http://www.summitcampinggear.com/campchefhpadjustablereg-hose36.html

Would a needle valve be needed in addition to the valve already on it?

 

Bill

post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWeist View Post

Thanks Dave.

 

I will look into a needle valve for sure.

The burner is out of a turkey fryer and the hose is showing signs of age so I am looking at this for a replacement:

http://www.summitcampinggear.com/campchefhpadjustablereg-hose36.html

Would a needle valve be needed in addition to the valve already on it?

 

Bill

that looks like it has a needle valve already. 

post #5 of 10

yeahthat.gif

post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 

Well .. I modded the smoker again .. added a 2.5 inch hole for fresh air intake on the front door of the smoker. Made a flap for it so I can adjust the opening size to control the air flow .. worked like  a charm. I can now get the temps down to a constant 225 by tweaking the flame a wee little bit and adjusting the flap for air flow.  Got a small 4lb shoulder and small pork tenderloin in now .. will be adding some cream cheese stuffed peppers as well.

 

Been going for 4.5hrs now with nice even temps and no chip flame outs. Nice TBS and my chips seem to last a lot longer to boot ... I think the modding has got it to the point where I am in love!
 

post #7 of 10

Bill, cool.....  taking a trick from another smoker design is genius...... pure genius.......   2thumbs.gif ......   Dave

 

Can you add a picture ??   Or start a thread explaining what's happening and your mod ??

post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post

Bill, cool.....  taking a trick from another smoker design is genius...... pure genius.......   2thumbs.gif ......   Dave

 

Can you add a picture ??   Or start a thread explaining what's happening and your mod ??


Will certainly do that Dave. Will pop a quick picture here and maybe start another thread. Going to see if I still have a picture of the smoker when I first got it to show where it has come from till now.

post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 

Here is a pic of the smoker now. You can see the air hole part way up the door. There is a stainless cover that pivots to the side for adjusting air flow. It is a little hard to see in this light.

 

post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWeist View Post

Here is a pic of the smoker now. You can see the air hole part way up the door. There is a stainless cover that pivots to the side for adjusting air flow. It is a little hard to see in this light.

 


I have the exact same hole on the door of my electric smoker. The only time I adjust it when I use the AMNPS, it allows too much oxygen and starts the pellets on fire.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pork
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Tonights Baby Backs with q-view