Tonight after work I'm embarQing on a new technique and recipe that will hopefully yield some nice results. 2 7-10 lb butts. I have the offset charbroil from lowes with the actual lids not the one that splits in half. I'll post a link to it below. I have High Temp RTV'd the important areas and added two thermometers to the lid in each bottom corner for temp monitoring and extended the chimney internally to meet the cooking surface. I still need tuning plates but I am holding a decent temp within 10-15 degrees from box side to chimney side. I built a charcoal basket out of expanded metal and it fits a 10lb bag of lump and on the test run/oil burn off run using light in a bag briquettes, it held a solid 260 average for 1.5 hours. (Small bag that barely filled the basket .25 of the way.)
Here are my plans.
1. Using newly made and seasoned charcoal basket for lump
2. Got in an order of fruitawoodchunks peach wood chunks for the smoke
3. Avoiding store bought injection and using apple juice mixed with peach juice and some spices to include cayenne pepper, fresh ground black pepper, garlic infused, onion infused, and salt.
4. Spray mop mixture of apple juice, butter, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar.
5. A standard sweet heat rub recipe that has yielded me nice flavor and bark in the past.
My plan is to not wrap till 180.
Hope this turns out ok. Any input won't be turned down. T minus 12.5 hours till the pit gets fire.
Not the best smoker in the world but for my budget it was the best charcoal smoker I could find. With my mil discount it was $160.