SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Common Vegetables › My garden 2013...10/14/2013 update.....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My garden 2013...10/14/2013 update..... - Page 3

post #41 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post

This was labeled as a San Marzano, Roma type tomato.....   so much for that idea....  It weighs 1.46 #''s.....  

I will get a taste of her later....  

 

i got some buckboard bacon for that.................

post #42 of 81

Whopper!!

post #43 of 81
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post

LOL  Definatly not a roma.

 

Yeah, about 5 Roma's........

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeamotive View Post

Looks like some sort of heirloom. Too brite red for a brandywine though. Would make a geat BLT tough! drool.gif

 

I think it will make  a great BLT........

  

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefrob View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post

This was labeled as a San Marzano, Roma type tomato.....   so much for that idea....  It weighs 1.46 #''s.....  

I will get a taste of her later....  

 

i got some buckboard bacon for that.................

 

Rob brought the BACON...... Yeay....

  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcutter View Post

Whopper!!

 

Biggest mater I've ever grown.....   

 

Dave

post #44 of 81
Thread Starter 

The mater was great.....   Not too many but very good...

++++++++++

 

Trying to close down the garden....   

 

We pick 24 ears/day to cut the corn from and freeze on baking sheets....

Vac pack and throw in the freezer......

 

Fresno Chili's....   Because Rachel Ray uses them....   :biggrin:...

Bought some in the store ....  let 2 sit on the counter to ripen and

they germinated.....   cool.....

 

Texas A & M Jalapenos....    Al, TennSmoker sent me seeds....

The small ones are from plants that the wind blew over and broke the stems....

Texans may think they are mild but I don't....   I must be a woos or something....

to me they are like Jalps for heat......    

 

Bride says, "We don't need to grow chilis next year"....

She plans on chopping them in the food processor to small pieces, roll in plastic and freeze....

 

That's OK.....  Now my earth boxes will be freed up for something else.....   th_dunno-1[1].gif ...   I like the EB's....  Stuff grew very well....

Never ran out of water with my watering system....   Cool tools.......

post #45 of 81

I am starting to "clean out the garden" later this afternoon after the sun changes directions.  I need to "grind" my cayennes and put them up too.

 

Next...apple butter time for me.

 

Kat

post #46 of 81

Great looking crop, Dave. Looks like you had a successful year.

 

Disco

post #47 of 81
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynN View Post
 

I am starting to "clean out the garden" later this afternoon after the sun changes directions.  I need to "grind" my cayennes and put them up too.

 

Next...apple butter time for me.

 

Kat

Hey.....   I saw you had the Ball Canning Bible or what ever it is....   picked up one yesterday...  what a great book....   all kinds of ideas for preserving foods....    Pear butter.....  I always have pears to 86....  whuda thunk it.....    Bride's gonna FPer all those peps fort the freezer....   

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
 

Great looking crop, Dave. Looks like you had a successful year.

 

Disco

Hey Disco......  was pretty good....   not enough cukes though.... maybe on 15 or so on 3 plants.....   cukes and onions for dinner were not quite enough for me and there weren't any for the neighbor....   I may be in trouble.....  but I did call him today about sweet corn.....  so I may be saved.....    

 

Dave

post #48 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post
 

Hey.....   I saw you had the Ball Canning Bible or what ever it is....   picked up one yesterday...  what a great book....   all kinds of ideas for preserving foods....    Pear butter.....  I always have pears to 86....  whuda thunk it.....    Bride's gonna FPer all those peps fort the freezer....   

 

Hey Disco......  was pretty good....   not enough cukes though.... maybe on 15 or so on 3 plants.....   cukes and onions for dinner were not quite enough for me and there weren't any for the neighbor....   I may be in trouble.....  but I did call him today about sweet corn.....  so I may be saved.....    

 

Dave

 

Har, you are the kind of neighbour we all want!

 
Disco
post #49 of 81
Thread Starter 

Bride canned the Fresno Chilis... Vinegar, distilled water (5:1), salt and a dab of sugar...  water bath at (180-185) for 10 minutes.....  Never done them before....  We'll see if they come out crispy or mushy....  Hope they come out like Mt. Olive peps....  I doubt it though ....  no pickle crisp (calcium chloride) was added.....  Keeping the water bath between 180-185 is supposed to keep the crispness in.....   

 

 

 

Any suggestion on canning peps would be appreciated......      Dave

 

The Jalapeno peps were froze whole and vac packed... stems, seeds and all....   we'll see about those later in the winter.....  

post #50 of 81

DaveO those look really good from here.  Beautiful colors too.

 

I have made pear relish and pear preserves....and both were yummmmm

 

Kat

post #51 of 81
Thread Starter 

The garden is ready for next spring.... fertilized, tilled and I'm going to  plant garlic, onions and shallots in the next day or so.....   Finally done weeding this year......     

 

...Garlic, onions and shallot beds....

 

....NO WEEDS....  I love it....  

 

See you in the spring with pics of new stuff growing.... 

 

Dave

post #52 of 81
WELL DONE, DAVE!!!

sausage.gif
post #53 of 81

Great job!

post #54 of 81
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbithutch View Post

WELL DONE, DAVE!!!

sausage.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinHusker View Post
 

Great job!

 

 

Thanks for the  praise.....  

 

Dave

post #55 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post
 

The garden is ready for next spring.... fertilized, tilled and I'm going to  plant garlic, onions and shallots in the next day or so.....   Finally done weeding this year......    

 

...Garlic, onions and shallot beds....

 

....NO WEEDS....  I love it....

 

See you in the spring with pics of new stuff growing....

 

Dave

 

Shame they don't ever stay so pretty and clean, that fresh turned earth smell rates up there with the TBS, freshly cut grass, and those special spring showers that clean the air. Dang starting to sound like my Pop now.

 

Looks really nice Dave. You ever use black plastic visquine over the winter to keep the grass and weeds out?  We would always cover our strawberries, then punch holes to plant them. Its great for gound heat, wasn't unusual to get some strawberries before Valentines. When we pulled the plastic was surprizing how little the grass and weeds had grown. I realize different areas are diffrent gardeners.

post #56 of 81

I' with you. There is nothing quite like seeing the newly turned dirt just waiting for next spring.

 

Disco

post #57 of 81
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamheart View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post
 

The garden is ready for next spring.... fertilized, tilled and I'm going to  plant garlic, onions and shallots in the next day or so.....   Finally done weeding this year......    

 

...Garlic, onions and shallot beds....

 

....NO WEEDS....  I love it....

 

See you in the spring with pics of new stuff growing....

 

Dave

 

Shame they don't ever stay so pretty and clean, that fresh turned earth smell rates up there with the TBS, freshly cut grass, and those special spring showers that clean the air. Dang starting to sound like my Pop now.

 

Looks really nice Dave. You ever use black plastic visquine over the winter to keep the grass and weeds out?  We would always cover our strawberries, then punch holes to plant them. Its great for gound heat, wasn't unusual to get some strawberries before Valentines. When we pulled the plastic was surprizing how little the grass and weeds had grown. I realize different areas are diffrent gardeners.

I'm gonna put about 6" alfalfa chopped up on the garlic etc for a mulch this winter.....   the rest lays as is....  This sandy soil don't hold water...  I water daily in the summer... plastic would retard the water...   even drip irrigation doesn't work all that well....  this year I drip irrigated maters, cukes and zukes... 6-8 gallons per day per plant... that barely kept them alive...   The earth boxes only used 1.5 gallons/day.....  they are a good deal...  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
 

I' with you. There is nothing quite like seeing the newly turned dirt just waiting for next spring.

 

Disco

Ain't that pretty.....  makes me smile.....    

 

 

Dave

post #58 of 81

lookin' good dave.......and those russian purples were great!

post #59 of 81
Looks like you have a great crop this year Dave.

This is the first I saw of this thread, man I got a lot of catching up to do on SMF.

Those canned peppers look awesome!!!
post #60 of 81
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefrob View Post
 

lookin' good dave.......and those russian purples were great!

Ro, thanks.....   glad you liked the purples...   They''re a little spicy, EH...  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMcG View Post

Looks like you have a great crop this year Dave.

This is the first I saw of this thread, man I got a lot of catching up to do on SMF.

Those canned peppers look awesome!!!

Dan, morning...  It was a great crop..  Bride did a good job on the peppers...  they are good....  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Common Vegetables
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Common Vegetables › My garden 2013...10/14/2013 update.....