I've tried reading through the previous posts, and just to make sure I am looking for a definitive answer.
On Monday I plan on making my first sausages. Here is the plan:
(1) Cut/grind/mix/stuff the sausages, keeping as cool as possible
(2) Smoke them all to IT of 155-160 (accounting for varying hot zones inside the smoker)
(3) Ice-water bath to prevent shrinkage (amused at irony there)
(4) Leaving out for a few hours to "bloom"
(5) Vacuum sealing for later consumption
So....do I need to use Cure #1 in this process? I'm not cold smoking, so I didn't think so, but wanted other opinions. I'm not opposed to using the stuff, and there probably wouldn't be any harm if I did use it, but just wanted to make sure.