Hey Guys, I know this was posted under my Golf Outing post, but wanted to break it down a bit in case folks were interested in making them.
After trimming the Spare ribs St. Louis style I keep the trimmings with the cartilage for beans and stuff. The solid meat from the trimmings are rubbed with my old style rub (Paprika, Brown sugar etc... and placed on the pit for a few hours.
While this is a great treat for my family (They call 'em boneless ribs) I wanted more bang for my buck. Hey why not get two dishes from one!
- So while I was tending the pit I glanced down at the foil pan that I rubbed the Rib trimmings in and I figured it was time to play. The rub was my Old style Pork Rub.
- Apple juice is added and then thrown on top of the firebox
- Next I add Barbecue sauce #1
- Barbecue sauce #2 and a 1/2 cup of Jack Daniels.
- Trimmings are removed and chopped.
- All the bits are thrown into the pan.
- Tossed then covered, they will tossed often and slow cook another couple of hours.
I served these at our Boy Scout Golf Outing and they were a hit. They sort of remind me of Burnt Ends.
It's a shame there wasn't more of them, they went so damn quick I'm wondering if next time I should add some pork loin, about a 60 rib meat / 40 loin meat ratio? Or better yet, I could save the trimmings and freeze to make a larger batch next time.