I moved into a home that has a place for a bbq built into the chimney on the outside of the house. The picture below has the dimensions. I want to build a smoker/bbq in this space. I have a fabricator that has lots of 10 gauge steel available to build whatever we come up with.
If this is the wrong forum for this question, please let me know and I'll redirect my question!
Not knowing anything about building this, I'm here for input. Here's some of the information I think I need, please comment, share your experiences and any information that you think may help me.
1. The chimney has a dampner in it, we are considering leaving it full open, (the smoker/bbq will control the airflow)
2. The end solution will be built off site and fit into the hole
3. I like the idea of a gas burner
a. I like the gas burner because I can walk away and not worry about it burning out, as it would with charcoal. good/bad idea?
b. Is there a source that makes stainless steel burner?
c. other ideas
4. Does 10 gauge sound like a good stock to build this?
5. Can it be powder coated?
6. Any ideas on how to govern air flow?
7. I'm think the lower portion that is 27" will be all burner and fuel area.
a. we discussed having a drawer here that will hold the chips and an area to put water, possibly a water container the surrounds the chips? thoughts?
8. ? I'm sure there is more. Please share your experiences.
I will post all build photos and our experience with this, thank you.