ok... i have debated for 6 months....and the choice i made was the Masterbuilt XL due to many factors, but especially the size (1300+ sq. in.) and the price... $179 @ BPS. However, I fear this will be much less "set it and forget it" than the electric models but we shall see. I am NEW to the smoking game- as in Never smoked before- I enjoy the grill and love my Char-Broil Big Easy infrared fryer... this is kinda intimidating to me. Practice makes perfect!
So here come the questions / advice... most of which I think I am on the right track.
1. I have ordered the Maverick ET-732 and I think the dual probe monitoring will decrease the "babysitting" tremendously. true?
2. going to get a 10" cast iron skillet to sit on chip tray / or i am gonna get a gas stove burner grate to sit skillet on? suggestions?
3. chunks instead of chips...soaked?
4. outside of windy days... can the XL be left alone and stay on temp for long periods of time?
5. does it do a better job than the electrics at "crisping up" the skin on poultry than the electric models? Is this done by cranking it up at the end of a cook for a little while?
6. what are suggestions for some relatively quick ( 3-4 hr.) cooks? ribs, wings, ?
7. any tricks to the XL that possibly haven't been covered on threads?
8. Thanks for a great site.... probably would never had jumped into the world of smoking without the information and advice provided here!