I've just bought a ProQ Cold smoke generator to flavour my steak before i dry it to make jerky. But i wanderd what can you cold smoke besides fish & Cheese that dosnt then need cooking after?
What can you cold smoke?
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- 5,170 Posts. Joined 8/2008
- Location: High Plains of N/E Wyoming
- Points: 398
- Select All Posts By This User
Hmm, what can you cold smoke that doesn't need cooking afterwards...
Add to those lists:
Does require cooking after cold smoking:
- brine-soaked dry beans such as pinto or red beans (for immediate cooking in smoked chili or other dishes);
- soaked rice (for immediate cooking and use in dishes);
Does not require cooking after cold smoking, but does require drying:
- fresh chilies and peppers for powders;
- fruits: apple slices, banana slices, pitted cherries, plums, peaches, figs, strawberries or other fruits suitable for drying after being prepped and dipped in solutions of ascorbic acid (vitamin C...antioxidant), citric acid or lemon juice;
Does not require further immediate preparation or cooking:
- dry beans or rice;
- garlic, uncut, unpeeled whole heads;
- fresh chilies and peppers for cooking at a later date;
I'm sure there are tons more I'm not thinking of at the moment.