This recipe is basically a meatball on steroids.
The recipe is OK, but really needs to be served with a brown gravy or better yet a marinara sauce.
I topped some with mozzarella and some were served plain with brown gravy,
Play around with this recipe and find a combination you like.
You can just make these as meatballs and serve in a chafing dish with a gravy.
I just had a few today at work for lunch, I think they are better the next day.
- A1 Sauce
- 1 chub of hot Italian sausage
- 2 pounds 80/20 ground beef
- 1 small onion
- 1/3rd pound of bacon
- 1/4 cup of pepperoni
- Cheese (optional)
- Brown gravy
- Marinara sauce
- Cook the bacon, pour off extra grease grease, cook the pepperoni, add the onions and brown.
- Then add the cooled cooked ingredients and mix, try not to over mix, just work everything in.
- On the smoker at 275°
- Coming along nicely, at this point there was a lot of liquid in the muffin pan, the muffins were actually starting to float. I just tilted the pan to the side and poured out some of the excess liquid.
- Cheese cubed and ready for topping, this is mozzarella. I did have some German Beer cheese to top the muffins with, but I tasted the cheese and it was nasty... that's pretty bad coming from me, I will eat almost anything.
- Time to remove the muffins, Take note here, if you don't cheese the tops, I would remove the muffins from the pan and place them individually on the grates once they are fairly firm... about an hour in should be fine.
- While the cheese is still hot, you may want to tuck the cheese in a bit or remove right away and let the cheese drape over the side.
Edited by SQWIB - 2/28/13 at 10:15am