succinct list of what I learned on cooking ribs
o Prepare meat
§ Trim excess meat/fat
§ Remove skin
o Apply rub
§ Use a sticking agent
· Over night? Maybe none
· An hour before
o Yellow mustard
o Thinned out yellow mustard
o Brown sugar that has melted(about 10 mins)
§ apply rub over sticky agents.
· If sticky agent sprinkle rub evenly
· No agents, rub in
§ Multi layer applications
· Apply sticky agent like evo or thin mustard
· Apply low or no sugar rub
o Let sit for 30 -60 min or overnight
· Optional apply sticky agent like mustard
· Add brown sugar
· Cooking methods
o Foil methods. 3-2-1(spare) or 2-2-1(baby back) variable times to taste temperature and rib type.
§ 1st digit time in smoke
· Thin blue smoke
· Mopping/spritzing as required
· Look for good pull back to determine next step.
§ 2nd digit time in foil
· Add foil juice
§ 3rd digit time in heat to firm
· Can reduce to 5 min on a high heat grill
· Apply sauce /glaze as required by taste
§ Time variance.
· Let the meat tell you when it’s ready for each step
o Lower fat ribs need less time in the smoke and less time in foil.
o Higher tempo mean less time.
o No foil
§ Mop frequently as needed
· Using evo seams to allow 2 hrs before peaking at 225
§ when is it done?
· Bend method
o Id the rack flexes to 90 deg when picked up at 1/3 rd of the rack
· Resistance(toothpick) method
o Purely feel. Poke a tooth pick between ribs near the middle
§ Check after 2 hrs.
§ Smooth little resistance = sauce time.
§ No resistance = done.
· Experience- a few trial and you will have it done
§ Apply and sauce as needed