or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Venison Jerky

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

After I take my jerky out... I assume it should sit on the counter for awhile?? I've also read through some old posts that say to place the jerky in a paper sack for storage. Why is that?

 

thanks, Robb

post #2 of 12
Thread Starter 

ttt

post #3 of 12

Are you talking about setting it on the counter between the brine/marinade and the smoke or taking it out of the smoker or out of the dehydration phase?  I usually move mine right through these phases without pausing for any transition.  I also have never heard of the paper sack idea.  I ziplock mine when it's finished.

post #4 of 12

Don't forget the Q-view!

post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiochiro3 View Post

Are you talking about setting it on the counter between the brine/marinade and the smoke or taking it out of the smoker or out of the dehydration phase?  I usually move mine right through these phases without pausing for any transition.  I also have never heard of the paper sack idea.  I ziplock mine when it's finished.


I was talking about after removing it from the smoker. I have always put it in a zip lock baggie or foodsaver if I was freezing some. I read in an old post that the guy puts it in a paper sack. Just didn't know if I was missing something??

 

Sorry, forgot the pics.

 

Holdem

 

post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdem View Post




I was talking about after removing it from the smoker. I have always put it in a zip lock baggie or foodsaver if I was freezing some. I read in an old post that the guy puts it in a paper sack. Just didn't know if I was missing something??

 

Sorry, forgot the pics.

 

Holdem

 


I'm not big on Jerky, but I have read what you're talking about at a number of places.

Those places say if you're going to freeze it, put it in plastic, but if you're going to refrigerate it, put it in paper bags, or in a glass jar, because they say sealed plastic bags will cause moisture and this will cause mold.

 

This is not coming from me, because I don't really know, but if you put "Jerky in Paper Bags", in a Google or Yahoo search, you'll find a bunch of info on it.

 

 

Bear

 

 

BTW: Nice Crappie !!!!

 

 

 

post #7 of 12

I usually make jerkey in the fall so it is a little cool. When I remove it from the smoker, I let it cool for a few hours on a rack before packaging. I never thought of a paper bag but it makes sense, think I will try that next batch.

Bill

post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post




 

 

 

Bear

 

 

BTW: Nice Crappie !!!!

 

 

 


Thanks!! 17 inches...pretty big for thru the ice in Iowa.

 

post #9 of 12
We used to pull it and let cool. Then the old timers put it in jars leaving plenty of air space. They claimed that there is always a few pieces with some moisture left. This would cause it to distribution threw all of them. Then it was low enough it didn't hurt. Then they would bag and freeze. Also some was kept in a lapped bag in refrigerator to eat. Paper breathes but plastic don't..

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdem View Post


Thanks!! 17 inches...pretty big for thru the ice in Iowa.

 


I'll say that's big------The PA state record for them is 19 1/4", caught in 2000.

Biggest one I ever caught was only about 15".

 

 

Bear

 

post #11 of 12
I have read about the paper bag on this site and believe that you keep it in the paper bag until it cools then either put in baggies or vac pack, reason already mentioned above it will breath and surface moisture will not be a issue. Gary
post #12 of 12

I always cool the jerky. Placing in a plastic bag will create moisture so thats why you see my posts with paper bags or vented jars.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Making Jerky